R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCreating more space in the R-178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geewizard View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creating more space in the R-178
    Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 8:30am
yes indeed, very nice work.  Thanks for the info.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:46am
Nice work!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 8:27pm
Actually I couldn't find anything online that would fit this opening so instead I built it from scratch.  Not as difficult as I feared it would be.  Plenty of DIY articles and YouTube videos online.  First I drew the inside view of the cabinet full sized on some cardboard and laid out a shape for the track.  Used that drawing to make a template to route a 5/16" groove for the door to slide in.  I made the track in 2 pieces so I could get the door into the tight space.

I rounded the edges on some 3/4" poplar and cut each of the slats 1/4" thick.  Then I set them in the track to check for length and figure out how many I needed to make.

Then I stained and finished them and glued them on to some cotton canvas from Walmart with a spray contact adhesive.  I stretched the canvas and stapled it to some plywood.  Then I screwed 2 straight boards to the plywood on the canvas at 90 degrees to use as guides to keep the slats lined up and straight.  Then I used a sharp knife to cut away the excess canvas.

Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 7:17pm
My wife likes your tambour door.  Where did you get it?
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 4:11pm
I like the cargo net idea because it matches everything else but wasn't able to locate that particular one so I was leaning towards making cabinet doors.  My wife didn't want to be banging into the doors so had to find on a compromise.  When I was younger I wanted to make a roll top desk but never got around to it so I opted for the tambour door.  Easier than I thought it would be and now it's out of my system.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 9:49am
I removed the microwave from our 177 to use the space for added storage.  In our 177, the inside of the space was finished so I didn't have to do anything other than put up a net.

The net I bought from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMT3488/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 fit perfectly.
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
greenpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:10pm
Fine looking work! 
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 3:00pm

This past winter I was standing in our 178 and got curious about how much space the microwave actually took up in the cabinet.  So on a lark I took it out figuring I could always put it back in if necessary.  Holy smokes I couldn’t believe the amount of additional storage space that was available if we took out the microwave completely.  We don’t use the microwave that much and it weighs nearly 50 pounds.  That’s just too much unnecessary weight to heat up a cup of coffee and make popcorn.  So we decided to re-purpose the cabinet for storage and purchase an inexpensive light weight toaster oven to replace it.

I lined the inside of the cabinet with 1/8 thick hardboard and made a removable box around the exposed electrical wires and outlets.

Then I finished off the inside with a small shelf and a slide out tray for our food and cooking supplies.

We had a rather warm spell this past winter and with entirely too much time on my hands I finished of the cabinet with a tambour door.

Last summer I built a cabinet above the kitchen area and fastened it to the molding at the top of the slide out.  Great idea for additional space but a really lousy design.  It just wasn’t deep enough to be of any use.

So I took it out and built another one the full 75” length of the upper molding and 13” deep.  The height at 7 ¾” is enough to give clearance with the AC unit and the curvature of the ceiling in the rear of the 178 when the slide out moves in and out.

Lastly, one design feature about the 178 we find irritating is the placement of radio.  It’s up near the ceiling and it’s impossible to see the LCD display clearly in any level of light without something to stand on. 

So I removed the radio and the entire cabinet and built a new deeper cabinet using the original as a model. 

Rerouted the rat’s nest of wires through new lower openings in the wall.  Mounting the radio at eye level and the switches and tank level indicators closer together created another nice sized storage area above.

I covered the original hole in the wall with the drawer bottoms I saved after making new deeper and taller drawers.

Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Wood River Pod

jimandclare,
Thanks for the stain info.  I took your info and one of my drawers into my local Sherwin Williams.  After a 1 1/2 days they came up with a very close paint recipe.  It was difficult since the manufacturer stained the wood and then put a "cloudy" clear coat on (per the paint store), which produces the "muddy" look as you called it.  I was pleased with the sample patch we put on the back of the drawer.  This should be fine for small patch jobs or painting accent pieces.  I'm hoping it works fine on the particle board found throughout the pods.  Regardless, it will be better than the espresso brown spray paint I've been using.    

Hope the forum finds this useful.  If someone tweaks this for a better result, please share with the group.
Thanks

Just a quick note that "Jeff's Rpod Brown" paint color is in fact in the Sherwin-Williams color database.  Thanks for sharing Jeff.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 9:43am
It should be.  If not the recipe is on my picture.  It's an enamel paint, so it will paint everything but glass.  They said mix a drop of water with a small amount to thin it out, and it should blend nicely with existing.  

At first they tried to convert your stain recipe to paint, but it came out pink.

The sample on the back of the drawer looks good.  
Enjoy!
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>