R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWood River 179 Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood River 179 Mods
    Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:59am
Wow, Smitty !

That's almost "roof-shoveling" levels of snow! I remember it well in the Wood River Valley. One winter particularly stands out in the Valley.... 1992-93, (as well as at least through about 1998). That first year, I was constantly up on the roof in my ski overalls trying to keep the layered snow loads down, so as not to stress out the roof trusses. To tired to go up to River Run to ski.

THEN all the snow that I pushed and tried to throw off the roof blocked patios, blocked doors, so it had to be re-shoveled again, in a slightly more compacted condition, as it had dropped from the roof level. In 93, I had to make a slot in front of my younger son's bedroom window so he could see out.

(I have archive photos on my laptop of those days.) Back then, we had to keep the snow off of the flat roof of our vintage 1964 Apache tent trailer (with the Chevy Impala style rear tail lights). We bought that early camper in Boise for less than $1000 and finished restoring it in time for the first of our Oregon coast family vacations. (We towed it with a 94 Toyota SR5 Extra Cab back in the day.)

The snow really helps out the Valley economically, and the Wood River will be running strong this spring, I bet....hopefully not TOO strong all at once. One spring flood year, 5B'rs used to joke about "picking out furniture at the Bellevue bridge!" Thankfully, it won't get that bad, but in the mid-valley back then, a lot of people lost portions of their yards to the 'river wild.'

NICE JOB keeping the Pod out of "snow jail" so that you can get it out for the Canyonlands of Utah (or?) in spring. Bet you've gotten in shape, and soaked a few boots on that project! Thanks for sending, loved your post, sure others did too.

Brad
Western NC
179 HRE
SeattlePod176 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 8:52pm
Love the mods! Miss the WRV!  I like that you posted some pics with the cover on.  I think we have the same one but did yours go on VERY tight at first?  I posted on another thread but here's the pic of us trying to put it on tonight...
R-Pod 176
Land Cruiser

Podinaroundbc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:29am
Nice Mods. Where did you get the lock for the storage door?
Art & Brenda

Jake the dog

2015 179 HRE

2012 Nissan Titan

Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 6:03pm
Sorry for the late response!  

I went directly to the Global website.  Give them your key # and measure how long the shank needs to be.  I don't have that info with me, but it was very easy.  You can measure the shank length of the existing lock. 

The link is below.
Thanks

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 6:11pm
Getting ready for our trip to Zions.  Have not reconfigured the drawers below the closet like I did in the galley.  Hanging space is worthless.  Container Store was having a sale on these Elfa slide out bins. Lots of drawer space now!  Can still hang a few items off to the side if needed.  Good place for rain coats. 
Thanks

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
MikeE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:01pm
You just saved me hours of measuring and designing a ramp to get up my steep driveway. All that was going to scrape was the stabilizers. I looked at taking them off, jeez 8 bolts each. the pins are brilliant. I cannot wait to do this mod. Love this forum!

2014 RP-179
Happy Campers
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:43pm
i need to move!!  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:07am
I can't get over the snow!! and we whine about the amount of snow we get here.....bah nothing like that!
Really like the mod in the closet.....thinking it will look real good in ours.
Cheers
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:09pm
Where did you find the Clevis pins and what size are they? Second trip and I crushed a jack already. They are mounted back too far and I was going to move them but if I can do this it will be much easier. Thanks. 
2017 R-pod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:10pm
Here is the link to the clevis pins (3/8  3 inch) I ordered on Amazon.  You could also find them at HD or Lowes. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPUEK5S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My solution works, but it a little cumbersome.  The removal is easy, the reinstall is a little more difficult.  There is a bracket that fits inside the two arms of the jack.  There are these cogs that you need to line up and then get the bracket to line up and then slide in the pin.  After you've done it a few times, it get easier.   

I've since heard good reports on the saveajack quick release.  More expensive than my solution, but looks pretty slick.
https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Brackets-Attachment-Release-Protector/dp/B005ZI03GS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493089343&sr=8-1&keywords=SaveaJack

Hope this helps.  I may try the saveajack. I'll let you know how it works.
Thanks
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>