Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wrecked our escaPod
    Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Wood River Pod

Glad to hear you and your wife are OK.  SLC is a haven for all things trailers.  There are several FR R-Pod dealers and many quality repair places.  I think for such and unfortunate event, you're in the right place.  In addition, you can't go more than three block before hitting a car dealership.  Rates are going up, so may be a good time to replace the rig.

I know this forum will get a education as we tag along in this process through your eyes.  I know my mods have benefited from your posting.  As stated previously, you are an integral participant on this forum.  Our Family wishes you and your family the best this Holiday Season. 

If you have the names of any of them, please let me know so I can contact them. The car will go to a body shop here in Green River. However, the R-Pod can't be repaired here. I can patch it up, but I need a suitable tow vehicle to get it to any repair shop.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 1:24pm
Stephen H,
I am so sorry to hear about this unfortunate event. I am very glad you are ok. I pray for your rapid return to the continuation of your Podding. 
Patrick D 
Patrick&Deanna,
Scion xB, Clark Vertex Hammock "PuppypPod", crosswind kayak
Starting from scratch😄
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 6:35pm
stephenh (or anyone else with this experience):  how did the pod brakes work in these conditions?  any advice?  hogone    btw:  very glad family is safe.  Merry Christmas to all out there.  go pack
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Mojave1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 6:42pm
Sorry to hear such bad news, but glad you're okay. Warm regards from Texas.
2017 179 R-pod
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by hogone

stephenh (or anyone else with this experience):  how did the pod brakes work in these conditions?  any advice?  hogone    btw:  very glad family is safe.  Merry Christmas to all out there.  go pack

Thank you.

As for the pod brakes, I should have thought, but didn't, of using the manual brake control to put some braking on the pod. I tried to countersteer, but when the back end of the pod caught the guardrail, it kicked the pod around which then was too much for the hitch to compensate. It all happened so quickly. It would be nice if there were some sort of practice simulator where one could learn to deal with such situations.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 12:46am
On ice, once your trailers sliding, brakes don't help unless you have chains on.They play hockey on that stuff for a reason.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 8:45am
None of this is covered by a warranty. This is what insurance is for. You need to read both your insurance and warranty paperwork/policy.

Actually, my warranty/protection plan WOULD cover at least some of this. It is the more expensive one they offer, it is a 3rd party policy that covers all kinds of repairs or replacements and more. They told me covers the tow vehicle tow expenses if it breaks down, or for any reason cant be driven ( i believe thats accurate) and it will cover any hotel expenses if our trailer is unusable, any food that goes bad, they will tow the trailer to a repair shop. I was told the only thing i really dont have coverage on was the tires. I also have rv insurance.

Over 30 years in the insurance industry here in this house... The policy you have, or are referencing is not a warranty. It IS a type of insurance, marketed by a 3rd party, regardless of how it was marketed/explained to you. Many RV owners have some sort of roadside assistance, or loss of use coverage, but, again, that's a type of insurance, not a warranty.

I'm sure he's referring to the XtraRide extended warranty that has been discussed here many times (the only extended warranty for anything that I have ever recommended - I hate extended warranties). Both of you are right, really. It is marketed as a "warranty" but it has many "insurance"-benefits included as features.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 8:47am
Stephen H.

So glad you or your wife didn't get hurt.  As many before me have said.  Material stuff is dispensable and can be replaced.  Give thanks to the One who protected you two from further harm; am sure you have.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 9:05am
Stephen - as many have said, I'm glad you were ok. Dealing with insurance and repairs is a pain, I know, I got into an accident this past summer while pulling our camper. But better than dealing with insurance and repairs for YOU.

As long as the pod's hitch latches properly it otherwise looks ok to tow. I would apply a large trash bag and liberal amounts of Gorilla tape to waterproof the hole. Maybe add some Gorilla tape on the other corner, too, to ensure it is waterproof. That will get you to the repair shop w/o adding water damage to the list.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Rodpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 9:48am
Can you post the video? 
2016 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>