Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI wrecked our escaPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wrecked our escaPod
    Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 2:03pm
So sorry to hear this!  Glad everyone is okay.  Good luck getting everything straightened out.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Steven, 1st im glad all are ok. 2nd, you use w/d with sway control right? I didnt know if the w/d sway bars allowed the trailer to jack knife like that and hit the T.V. . This is probably one of those cases were having the extended warranty i bought for mine would come in real handy. They cover much of what happened to you, hotels, towing, etc. hopefully you have it. 

None of this is covered by a warranty. This is what insurance is for. You need to read both your insurance and warranty paperwork/policy.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 4:46pm

Steven, 1st im glad all are ok. 2nd, you use w/d with sway control right? I didnt know if the w/d sway bars allowed the trailer to jack knife like that and hit the T.V. . This is probably one of those cases were having the extended warranty i bought for mine would come in real handy. They cover much of what happened to you, hotels, towing, etc. hopefully you have it. 

My wife and I are glad we're okay also.Smile

I did not know that the Equal-i-zer hitch would allow that much swing either. Apparently, it did. I looked a little while ago and it looks like the factory receiver is twisted a little. This probably means that there is more frame damage than is visible The twist is slight, but visible enough to show the hitch is off of center-line.

We don't have the extended warranty. What we do have is insurance and Good Sam Roadside Assist. Hopefully, between our auto/trailer insurance and the roadside assist, the towing and repairs will be covered. I suspect we may be looking for a new tow vehicle in the immediate future. I looked on KBB and the trade in value of our Escape is about the same as what we owe on it. If the repairs look like they are going to be too much, the vehicle may be considered as totaled by the insurance adjuster. I won't know that until sometime tomorrow.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 6:35pm
Good luck! Hope it works out well
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 6:40pm

None of this is covered by a warranty. This is what insurance is for. You need to read both your insurance and warranty paperwork/policy.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, my warranty/protection plan WOULD cover at least some of this. It is the more expensive one they offer, it is a 3rd party policy that covers all kinds of repairs or replacements and more. They told me covers the tow vehicle tow expenses if it breaks down, or for any reason cant be driven ( i believe thats accurate) and it will cover any hotel expenses if our trailer is unusable, any food that goes bad, they will tow the trailer to a repair shop. I was told the only thing i really dont have coverage on was the tires. I also have rv insurance.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 6:54pm
Stephen,
Wow! Glad to here everyone is OK, everything else can be repaired/replaced.
With sway control/weight distribution at some point weight and momentum just overcome design/engineering and things just bend and give way to the forces of nature. With no sway or weight distribution things could have been much worse. Hope your on your way soon and good luck!
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 7:14pm

Actually, my warranty/protection plan WOULD cover at least some of this. It is the more expensive one they offer, it is a 3rd party policy that covers all kinds of repairs or replacements and more. They told me covers the tow vehicle tow expenses if it breaks down, or for any reason cant be driven ( i believe thats accurate) and it will cover any hotel expenses if our trailer is unusable, any food that goes bad, they will tow the trailer to a repair shop. I was told the only thing i really dont have coverage on was the tires. I also have rv insurance.
[/QUOTE]

Over 30 years in the insurance industry here in this house...

The policy you have, or are referencing is not a warranty. It IS a type of insurance, marketed by a 3rd party, regardless of how it was marketed/explained to you. Many RV owners have some sort of roadside assistance, or loss of use coverage, but, again, that's a type of insurance, not a warranty.
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 11:54pm
Stephen... since my son was born in Laramie, WY, (and we lived there two years), we got really familiar with how challenging and fickle these weird I-80 winter conditions are, and how they can wreak havoc on travelers on that high desert interstate west & east of Rock Springs, Wyoming.

When we lived there, that long section of highway was NOTORIOUS, with locals calling that stretch "The Snow-Chi-Min Trail" for it's unpredictability & danger. In the cold months, it's legendary in the trucking world, and still SO MANY 18-wheelers annually slide, jackknife, and then dump their cargo off into the wind-blown ditches, right and left.

And these truckers are professionals; very familiar with radically changing wind vectors, (add in snow + crazy temperature drops) and they really have no instant options when suddenly faced with dry roads turning to an ice glazed I-80 along with crosswinds with their big box of cargo. There is no method to be accurately forewarned about this I-80 phenomena.

Thank the Lord you both are physically OK, as the ice/wind incident so easily could have twisted your Escape over violently onto its side. Your survival without injury is the major blessing.

Your R-Pod damage looks like the kind that the RV guys have seen before from various incidents & contacts with other vehicles, which leads me to believe that they know just what to do to repair, seal and cosmetically patch your Pod up well. They probably have realigned many hitch ends that are off a little, as well.

I'm guessing that the Escape, being of today's crossover unibody design might have suffered enough rear body distortion twist, that it may be better in the end if you can get a cash settlement on it, allowing you to change up your tow vehicle for something different. (I have no special adjusting/or bodywork knowledge, tho.) You might be able to exert some influence in the direction you want to go, if you feel strongly one way or the other, as the policy owner.

Also, maybe if you want to stay with the Escape as your TV, you can get another younger one and retain most of accessories from your damaged one (hitch, tires maybe or?) to transfer over to a newer replacement Escape. 

But however it plays out, I hope strongly that you get treated 100% fairly by your insurance carrier(s) on this, including Good Sam and RV coverage, so that you can move forward to be back on the road by next spring more great camping memories. We are all rooting for a successful outcome for you.

I feel that any of us can be just one crazy incident away from a potential road accident, (with a set of mis-timed events / circumstances beyond our control in ANY driving season) so I've a hunch that most of us realize that this could be any of us reporting such news.

You have been such a good, consistent and helpful presence in this community. My wife and I are really wishing you well, and so, so thankful that you were both not injured. Maybe we can all learn something about how this is normally handled (and the ways of the insurance) that we dutifully pay and hope would come through fairly on our behalf....

Take care and best wishes. Be thankful and be surrounded by your loved ones this holiday season. As John & Sue posted above, essentially: 'you both made it ....and stuff can be fixed.'

Brad & Layli
Western NC

funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 9:31am
I'm glad your safe. Sorry for the damage that has been done.  We hope you get everything worked out and get to your destination for the holidays.  This is something can happen to any of use when your out there on the road.  Take Care 
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 10:42am
Glad to hear you and your wife are OK.  SLC is a haven for all things trailers.  There are several FR R-Pod dealers and many quality repair places.  I think for such and unfortunate event, you're in the right place.  In addition, you can't go more than three block before hitting a car dealership.  Rates are going up, so may be a good time to replace the rig.

I know this forum will get a education as we tag along in this process through your eyes.  I know my mods have benefited from your posting.  As stated previously, you are an integral participant on this forum.  Our Family wishes you and your family the best this Holiday Season.   

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>