R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2ND 180 podmod, drawers under mattress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2ND 180 podmod, drawers under mattress
    Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:55pm
Les,

Look for space that may be hiding from you. I do not have a 171, but I am sure that you could do some creative work to add space. Perhaps you could do something like a shelf similar to the one I put above the bed in our 179. From the floor plan, you do have a queen bed. That would be a start. I don't know for sure, but you might be able to do something with space under the bed also if the heater is not located there in the 171.

Use of bins to help organize things also is helpful. We use some on the shelf and others in our kitchen cabinets and pantry. You don't have as much space, but organizing it can make it more useful.

Since you don't have a wardrobe, you may wish to get an expanding clothing bar for your tow vehicle to carry hang-up clothing. Get creative. Keep an eye out for things as you travel and as you poke around stores . You don't know what you will find that will solve a storage problem for you.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 12:07am

Les,

Looks like the 171 has a queen bed. This mod could work the same way, you could do 1 large drawer that would come out between the fridge and the bathroom, over the storage door. 

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 9:22pm
Unfortunately due to the curvature this mod won't work on the models with the rear bed.  The front has a long flatter "vertical" spot where you can lift the mattress upward, but the rear curve continues all the way to the bottom so there won't be room for the mattress if you move upward 5-6".  See my signature pic - the mattress on front or rear models starts about where the orange and red marker lights are on the side.  Love the idea though!

This is the ladder we got for our camper.  Very light, and extends only 3 feet when you need it, or any length up to its max 12.5 feet.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 9:44pm
Doug,
Your right, I gained 1" in the front when I went up due to the front curve and it looks like you loose an inch or two in the rear. I love the info that comes out of the discussions!
Rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

les olvera View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 10:03am
Thanks for the ideas, which I will start working on and implementing before my big trip this coming summer. 
Les
Jasp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 1:10pm
John, thank you for posting that with such great pictures and explanations.   My wife and I have a new 180 and we were just trying to find a way to handle the lack of clothing storage.
Thanks a lot John !!
Paul
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 7:16pm

Paul,
Your welcome! Feel free to ask me anything about how i and why i did anything for the mod. 
If i had it to do over i might have made the drawers shorter so the front storage area could also be taller inside. And maybe not run the new bottom ply all the way to the wall on the left for easier access to the heaters and pump. But I felt too big is better than too small!
In April we are going out to the east coast on a 1 month drive around the country and if i learned anything about the 180 on our shorter trips it was the lack of clothes storage, the lone small wardrobe just didn't cut it. I'm having almost as much fun modding as I am podding.
Rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Jasp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 8:14am
Thanks for suggesting what you may do differently John. We are taking the pod south for a long trip next month and I'm going to try and complete your mod before we leave. Hope your trip in April goes well, and if you hit upstate N.Y. in the Adirondack Park you have a place to stay!!
Paul
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 9:57pm
Paul, 
Thanks! I'm hoping to get over there, I here it's beautiful ! I am going to N. Tonawanda Because That's where the relatives are, Conceived there but born in California. Haven't been back in 35 years!
Rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Funky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 11:49pm
Wow. This fantastic. Thank you for the idea. This would be a good early spring project for me. Thanks again.
Funky
2017 R pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>