R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMods - Interior & Exterior-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mods - Interior & Exterior-
    Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 9:46pm
I started some interior Mods which I will post to this thread soon but then I went to TN to see my son and stayed  @ the beautiful Defeated Creek campground, he got hornswaggled into doing some exterior mods for me. Showed up at the campground with all his tools ready for action.And so it begins

When he took the door off he was surprised at how very light it was.  After copious measuring he was ready to cut the hole for the window (from etrailer.com) with a jigsaw...

Here is is nice neat hole - we discover the reason the door was so light,  it seems to be "solid" Styrofoam.  BTW, the cutout fits perfectly on top of the ubiquitous campsite grill & makes a perfect table!

When he tested the window, it was a perfect fit - it actually popped in!  Fastened it with the supplied screws...

And prepped it for the final caulking... he uses the painter's tape so it will get a nice clean finish on the outside edge!  There was a tip that I, the world's worst caulker, was thrilled to get!

Once the silicone caulking was done, he put the door back up  and said, "Let there be light!!!"LOL

PERFECT!!!!

BTW - not only is there light - but also heat!  We cut out a big chunk of the insulation!

He took on 2 other projects first the new SaniTube Super-slider sewer hose storage - we actually spent more time trying to decide where we should put it than he did putting it on - and it is delightfully inconspicuous!

The daylight was rapidly  getting away from us by the time we got to setting up the dual LP tanks... I had purchased a Flame King (KT20MNT) Dual RV Propane Cylinder Rack from Amazon along with the Camco tank cover... but the fit of it on the exixsting tank pad on the A frame left something to be desired - new longer bolts had to be retrieved  from his shop that was 30 minutes away... so there are not many pix of the actual procedure.  Sorry - but of course here is what it looked like when we were done...

Did I mention he also  straightened out one of the scissor jacks that had an unfortunate meeting with a sapling at Blue Springs State Campground?  And he got the cross-threaded bolt in my  

BAL 23216 Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar back to operating again with an impressive impact wrench!  He is a very handy guy and a spectacular hardwood cabinet carpenter!

I wasn't totally useless because it was little old me who changed out the single step for the 2 step model (purchased from etrailer.com) as suggested on this forum... I won't mention that I sheared 2 bolts off and had to make a special trip to Lowes to complete the task... sigh.  Here's Tootsie showing off my handiwork while we were at Lake 

north of Atlanta:

I am looking forward to several other projects - power tongue jack, and a Fiamma awning like the one pictured here: but definitely NOT that color.Star

Interior Mods:  There is WAY too much brown in R-Pods!  So I decided to cover the valances with perky curtains... I left the blinds as they are good at keeping the morning sun out of my eyes.  Also made some complementary pillowcases & a blanket while I was at it!  

I will be painting the whole interior white (I have already done the kitchen) but in the meantime need some inspiration:

There are 2 organizers - one that you can't see is hanging under the TV - Love the tiny cherries on the oilcloth table cloth that I festooned with black & white piping. The place mat was crocheted with a pattern from a  Mary Engelbreit book. The cushion is there just to give me an idea as to who great it will all look once I cover those brown cushions!

The first time I used the Suburban cooktop, I was boiling water & some of it got on the cooktop and ate the glossy finish off of it!  I couldn't believe it!  Checked the guarantee - yup, they said that even water has to be immediately wiped off the surface or it will mar the finish!  So... what you see here is some silicone arts & crafts - took the top off, used it for a template and now if spills & slops don't wipe off, I just carefully take the silicone off, and wash it and pop it back on!  There's my$9 fix for an unsightly cooktop.

Couldn't stand all the Naugahyde!!!  Have covered this to match the valances - the frame around the slide will be replace with white molding ... as soon as I can talk my son into  it!

Speaking of my son, here is a pix of the cutest cutting board he made for me to use over the sink or the cooktop.  You can also see some more of my mods (curtains, backsplash, trim) in this pix. 

Clever guy that he is, he put rare earth magnets in the legs so that it sticks to the cooktop and doesn't slide all over the place!Hug

AmberKate & RIP Little Tootsie -
AmberKate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 10:23pm
Off to Pt. St. Lucie South for the weekend!
patrick_dube View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 9:25am
Wow... nice list of mods. I too will have to check out the Suburban cooktop to avoid fading...

Fiamma's are really great. Had one on my previous trailer (ProLite Profil 14). If you want a attached dinette on it, double check if the model you want can have one... Dealer said they could have it (that made the sale then) only to tell us (after numerous calls from us asking when we should get it) that they do not made it for this specific model anymore. After some research and a call to Fiamma headoffice in Europe, they NEVER did it for this model... Well long story short, sold the ProLite this summer to get the rp-179.
Patrick Dubé,
2017 RP-179 owner
towed by a 2015 Cadillac SRX Premium
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 11:53am
How heat resistant is the silicone topping?

I like the stove/sink cover. The magnets are a really nice touch. I've also made many mods to our EscaPOD. They can be seen in the link below. The dual-propane tank mod is one I have been considering. However, I already have added significant weight to the tongue of our pod. I don't want to overdo it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 1:54pm
Love your personal touches.
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 7:32pm
Nice mods all around and nice decorating job.  Good tip on the caulk with the painter's tape.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
AmberKate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 2:18pm
Patrick,
I am so fortunate as to be quite close to Orlando, Fl where Fiamma has a manufacturing plant & have been in touch with them regarding brackets & the right awning!  I have found them to be very promptly courteous!
AmberKate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 2:30pm
According to the manufacturer good to 480º  see at Amazon: 

Super Kitchen Food Grade Non-stick Silicon Baking Oven Mat Liner For Sheet Pans Cooling Rack 16 By 12 In (2, red) $13.99 (that is what I paid for 1)

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 6:19pm
AmberKate,

What size is the window in the door? Contemplating that mod. Thanks.
AmberKate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:36pm
MCarter,
this is the window I purchased at etrailer:
  Valterra Frame & Glass For Rv Entrance Door - 12 X 21  

It seems to be the common size.  Can't wait to see your installation  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>