R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar on Roof

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar on Roof
    Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 5:13pm
Is there any way to mount panels on the roof? Yakama or Thule racks?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 5:49pm
A couple people have done it. It isn't easy. Or clean. There just isn't a lot of free space up there.

Truthfully, portable/folding panel sets really are the best route. Allows the pod itself to be in the shade, helping to keep it cool, and panels in the sun, charging the batteries.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 5:57pm
Agree.  Have met with a number of podders on our vacations and have never seen one mounted on the unit.  They prefer to camp in shade, if available, and put their solar collector, obviously in the sun. I would not want any more 'stuff' on my 177, only more stuff to vibrate and loosen and weaken the fiberglass skin as you travel down the road.  My 3 cents worth.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
snorris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 7:05pm
Thanks everyone. Made my decision to stay portable.
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 11:17am

It was relatively easy to install 2 panels on the roof.

I installed 2 140 watt panels.  My panels are 26” X 56”  I put one behind the AC and one in front.  The one in front is angled a little bit to accommodate the curvature of the roof.  The rear panel is mounted using the Z shaped panel mounts available from Amazon.  Because of the curvature I had to manufacture brackets from aluminum angle from Lowe’s.  The brackets are attached to the roof with 3M VHB 4950 double sided tape (Amazon) (Thanks Floyd Stewart)

I ran the wire from the panels to the battery as follows: Each panel is wired to a PVC outdoor junction box via Liquidtite conduit.  I drilled a hole in the back of the Junction Box and through the roof of the Pod.  The JB is attached to the roof with 3M 5200 adhesive sealant.  You cold also use 3M 4200.  I drilled a hole through the roof into the void that runs next to lavatory vent and behind the lavatory.  The wire is routed through that void and the void that is between the wall in the cabinet and the wall where the Pod’s slide switch and the voltage/tank fill indicators are located. (The panel inside the cabinet is easily removed)  The wires connect there to the charge controller.  Then the wires from the controller are routed back to the void behind the lavatory and down behind the Pod’s fuse/breaker box.  At that point, I took advantage of the wire pass through in the floor and ran the wires through the floor and spliced into the Zamp wires which go to the battery.  At the battery I put an inline fuse (15 Amps, may have to up that to 20 Amps)  I used 10 ga THHN wire throughout.  The Zamp wires are located in the flexible conduit on the bottom of the right side of the Pod.  They share space with the cables that run between the fuse box and the battery.

I mounted the controller on the Pod wall where the voltage/tank fill indicators are.  I have a Blue Sky 2512 controller.  A bit pricey, but there are much less expensive ones on the market.

I plan to install a Xantrex battery monitor as soon as it arrives—back ordered.

I got the panels, controller and monitor from https://www.altestore.com/store/  I bought the AlltE panel. It's their proprietary brand. Normally, I would have steered away from a proprietary brand, but I've dealt with this company before and think I can trust them. Otherwise, I'd recommend the Kyocera panels. I have them on our boat and they have been very reliable.  Panels, $230 each and the controller $190 (much less expensive controllers available)

This install is on a 179.  Similar voids and routing possibilities exist on other models.

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 11:35am
Doing the math you have $ 650 invested thus far.  How long do you figure it will take for the break-even payback on your investment?  Very nice job BTW !
God's pod
'11 model 177
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 3:17pm
Very clean install, very nice work. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 9:30am
Originally posted by jato

Doing the math you have $ 650 invested thus far.  How long do you figure it will take for the break-even payback on your investment?  Very nice job BTW !

Thank you.  Like the pod itself, this mod is not an investment and there is no break even point.  The solar panels make it possible to go long periods of time without plugging in. 
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 9:34am
Are you charging 2 deep cycle 6v or 1 or 2 marine 12v batteries?  Also, how long do you estimate it will take to bring either of the above to full charge if you are say at 50% of full charge when you begin?  I find this very interesting.  Thanks.
God's pod
'11 model 177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 12:11pm
If you mount on a roof, with the possibility of shading on one panel but not the other, I would investigate wiring in parallel or using two charge controllers. It takes very little shading from an antenna or the A/C before the entire panel's output drops off.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>