R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrunning appliances and battery charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: running appliances and battery charging
    Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 4:25pm
I have the RPOD 177. I only need electricity for the water pump and a few LED lights--no TV, NO AC and the frig will be on propane. I will only be in non electric campsites for 3 day periods. The golf cart batteries from Amazon, ANSTON 6v are $195 each at Amazon. That is almost $400 plus the box for another $100. I could go solar for less than that and for a few bucks more go for Zamp. I am thinking I will start off by sticking with my 12 v. that came with the unit and see how long that lasts by judiciously shutting the pump off when not needed and using a few battery lanterns at times.
I just don't understand how anyone has felt that the two golf cart battery is better.  This is my first year with the RPOD and I need all the help the old pros have. Thanks. George
kp57george
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 5:24pm
Welcome.  With just LEDs, the water pump, and fridge (the control board uses some energy even in LP mode), the original battery should last you 3 days.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 5:36pm
George,

A few extra points: six volt GC2  batteries are available from Sam's Club for $85 each. The amazon price is way too high.

Battery boxes are purely cosmetic. The batteries don't need protection from the elements.

Good Trojan GP24 batteries are 85AH. Most less expensive GP24s supplied with trailers are 70 or less. A good pair of GC2s are 230AH. Do the math.

Even with solar you will want plenty of battery capacity in case of rain or shade.

The water pump does not draw any current unless it's pumping. No need to turn it off, unless you have a leak.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
kp57george View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 6:02pm
Thanks very much I will try that on the next trip. George
kp57george
sunflashx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by WillThrill

Originally posted by WillThrill

Originally posted by CharlieM

If you're talking about direct connection with a set of heavy duty #4 copper jumper cables the answer is it depends on you TV.http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-20ft-450a-4-gauge-booster-cable/p-02871304000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3TVs' electrical electrical systems vary as to charging voltage and this varies the charging rate. Pretty much a trial and error situation. Try and hour at idle and measure the open circuit at rest voltage of the battery. Adjust up or down depending on results. If you're talking about charging through the 7 pin Bargman connector, the answer is probably never.

I've used the jumper cable trick before to get out of a jam with a rented RV. Apparently, the battery on the RV was already badly sulfated and would not hold much of a charge: running the refrigerator's electronic circuit board only (the unit was being cooled with propane) completely discharged the battery in less than 24 hours.

At any rate, you must be careful of sparks with the jumper cables, and you must be sure to start the TV immediately after connecting the cables to the Pod's battery. Otherwise, you may drain your TV's battery and be unable to start it.

FYI, most vehicles' alternators output 20-50 amps while idling. Considering that most TVs are bigger than average, you're probably looking at at least 30 amps of output. It would take about 3 hours to completely recharge a dead marine battery at that rate.

Keep in mind also that this is not 3 stage smart charging, which is best for battery life: it's a raw current dump. But in a pinch, it will work.

You should ALWAYS have a set of jumper cables with you anyway. :)

Is there a 12v -> 12v charger that would work better than straight jumper cables?

Is there any reason you couldn't dual purpose a slightly over sized pwm solar charge controller that could be fed from panels or jumper cables?  That way the batteries received a quality charge either way.  Sunny days get panels, shady days get the cables.

2013 R-Pod 177 Hood River
2006 Acura MDX Tow Vehicle
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by sunflashx

Is there a 12v -> 12v charger that would work better than straight jumper cables?

Is there any reason you couldn't dual purpose a slightly over sized pwm solar charge controller that could be fed from panels or jumper cables?  That way the batteries received a quality charge either way.  Sunny days get panels, shady days get the cables.

The PWM solar charger doesn't buy you anything when charging from the TV. The PWM controller is really an off/on switch that temporarily and periodically connects the charging source to you battery. When charging from a 12V source you need a full time heavy duty connection. PWM and MPPT controllers only work if the charging source is higher voltage than the battery being charged.

You could use a 12V to 14V boost inverter. Such a thing exists, but it's not common. The jumper cable thing works if you use good heavy duty copper cables.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123