R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrunning appliances and battery charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: running appliances and battery charging
    Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 9:45pm
Good to know!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 10:23pm
And be sure to charge the battery overnight every 30 days year-round (and before a trip) if you cant leave it on a battery tender or the pod plugged in all the time. Then disconnect the battery from the pod
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 7:02am
When charging from TV directly to battery, how long should I allow the vehicle to idle to get a full charge. We're headed out to Glacier for 10 days tomorrow and with 2 CPAPS we use every bit of both batteries and no electrical hook up.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 7:50am
If you're talking about direct connection with a set of heavy duty #4 copper jumper cables the answer is it depends on you TV.
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-20ft-450a-4-gauge-booster-cable/p-02871304000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3
TVs' electrical electrical systems vary as to charging voltage and this varies the charging rate. Pretty much a trial and error situation. Try and hour at idle and measure the open circuit at rest voltage of the battery. Adjust up or down depending on results.

If you're talking about charging through the 7 pin Bargman connector, the answer is probably never.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Chuck

When charging from TV directly to battery, how long should I allow the vehicle to idle to get a full charge. We're headed out to Glacier for 10 days tomorrow and with 2 CPAPS we use every bit of both batteries and no electrical hook up.

It depends...

Would be best to get yourself a voltmeter and monitor your batteries.

My CPAP 12v cigarette plug adapter outputs 12 volt @ 2.5 amps. I carry 230 Amp Hours worth of battery fully charged. With no other drain on the batteries, I could run my CPAP for 92 hours. But, there is never "no other drain on the batteries". So, I monitor battery voltage closely.

As to charging your batteries with your TV, assuming you are using heavy duty jumper cables (not Bargman connector), charge time will depend on your vehicle alternator output and SOC (state of charge) of your pod batteries. I've included a SOC table which may help. Remember to measure battery voltage at "resting" state. It's a little tough while camping, but I just make sure everything is turned off and let it sit for an hour or so before checking voltage.

Hope that helps.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 8:00am
Charlie beat me to it!! Smile

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 9:41am
Thanks guys. I am using #4 copper jumpers so I guess I'll just have to do a trial & error.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

If you're talking about direct connection with a set of heavy duty #4 copper jumper cables the answer is it depends on you TV.http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-20ft-450a-4-gauge-booster-cable/p-02871304000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3TVs' electrical electrical systems vary as to charging voltage and this varies the charging rate. Pretty much a trial and error situation. Try and hour at idle and measure the open circuit at rest voltage of the battery. Adjust up or down depending on results. If you're talking about charging through the 7 pin Bargman connector, the answer is probably never.

I've used the jumper cable trick before to get out of a jam with a rented RV. Apparently, the battery on the RV was already badly sulfated and would not hold much of a charge: running the refrigerator's electronic circuit board only (the unit was being cooled with propane) completely discharged the battery in less than 24 hours.

At any rate, you must be careful of sparks with the jumper cables, and you must be sure to start the TV immediately after connecting the cables to the Pod's battery. Otherwise, you may drain your TV's battery and be unable to start it.

FYI, most vehicles' alternators output 20-50 amps while idling. Considering that most TVs are bigger than average, you're probably looking at at least 30 amps of output. It would take about 3 hours to completely recharge a dead marine battery at that rate.

Keep in mind also that this is not 3 stage smart charging, which is best for battery life: it's a raw current dump. But in a pinch, it will work.

You should ALWAYS have a set of jumper cables with you anyway. :)

"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by WillThrill

Originally posted by CharlieM

If you're talking about direct connection with a set of heavy duty #4 copper jumper cables the answer is it depends on you TV.http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-20ft-450a-4-gauge-booster-cable/p-02871304000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3TVs' electrical electrical systems vary as to charging voltage and this varies the charging rate. Pretty much a trial and error situation. Try and hour at idle and measure the open circuit at rest voltage of the battery. Adjust up or down depending on results. If you're talking about charging through the 7 pin Bargman connector, the answer is probably never.

I've used the jumper cable trick before to get out of a jam with a rented RV. Apparently, the battery on the RV was already badly sulfated and would not hold much of a charge: running the refrigerator's electronic circuit board only (the unit was being cooled with propane) completely discharged the battery in less than 24 hours.

At any rate, you must be careful of sparks with the jumper cables, and you must be sure to start the TV immediately after connecting the cables to the Pod's battery. Otherwise, you may drain your TV's battery and be unable to start it.

FYI, most vehicles' alternators output 20-50 amps while idling. Considering that most TVs are bigger than average, you're probably looking at at least 30 amps of output. It would take about 3 hours to completely recharge a dead marine battery at that rate.

Keep in mind also that this is not 3 stage smart charging, which is best for battery life: it's a raw current dump. But in a pinch, it will work.

You should ALWAYS have a set of jumper cables with you anyway. :)

"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 8:56pm
The rule of thumb is 30-60 minutes every other day (not every day).  Due to the way lead acid batteries accept a charge you'll get more total charge for the time and gas spent doing it that way.  

The goal isn't to charge it fully, only up to a max of 80%.  Above that the battery accepts less and less charge so it is best to top off from an outlet - which should occur every 7 days since it isn't being fully charged every day.  That will help prevent sulphation.  As long as you generally keep it between 50% and 80%, with an occasional dip to 30% you are fine (assuming that full top-off every 7 days).

If you are going to do this more than a few days here and there, maybe for a week once a year, then you need to add a proper charging source.  Solar, if you camp where there isn't any shade, or an inverter-generator.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>