R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow often should one empty hot water tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often should one empty hot water tank
    Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 12:43am
Matt,
One more follow-up... I see you are from Missouri.  I'm from CA.  I drove across country this past Feb to Beacon RV Sales to purchase my 179.  Great service over there... and a pretty state.... but going in Feb wasn't a bright idea... in 9 degree weather the 7-pin connector and plastic are not maleable; had a tough time getting a good connection.  Take care, Matt.
2015 R-Pod 179
mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 7:46am
Those low point drains are for the plumbing and not directly draining from the hot water heater. Make sure your water heater is switched off. I take a 1-1\16" (I believe that's the size) socket and unscrew the anode. Be careful in that it may have some pressure behind it. As the water is draining lift up on the water relief valve to maximize drainage. I carry a roll of the white sealer tape with me but I find that I don't have to replace very often. What you want to be careful on is screwing the anode back in. Make sure you start correctly so you don't strip the threading. It takes a little practice a few times to get it back in because you have a tight space to get your fingers around to start threading it and the weight of the rod once you slide it in wants to pull it down. Just make sure to hold it up level once you slide it back in and then find your starting thread point. It's really a very simple procedure. One last note don't overtighten the anode. If you have tape on then you just need a snug fit that doesn't allow water to leak.
Missouri Matt

mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 7:55am
Thanks for sharing your experience. I love MO and the Conservation Depts commitment to many outstanding State Parks and resources. I'm an avid trout fisherman and MO has some of the best trout fishing Parks and rivers in the US. A lot of people don't realize this. So I find myself in my spare time camping in the MO state trout parks often. I've been to CA but always by flight. Many beautiful areas in your state. When I retire I plan on a major Western road trip and camping experience.
Missouri Matt

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 3:31pm
Actually you are draining the water heater when the low point drains are open.  Just open the hot and cold water faucets at the sink to allow it to vent.  But, it will take a long time to finish so removing the anode rode is faster, if time matters.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by mcclurey

I empty after every outing lowering my tow weight by 6 gallons of water.  Also keeps from water heater clean from most mineral deposit build up.  Water sources can be very different.

Only about 50 pounds of weight, which will not affect your mpg if you are trying to improve it that way.  The wind resistance is most of the problem at highway speeds.  The mpg difference between my 3000 pound pod and 7000 pound Salem (both fully loaded):  17.5 not towing, 9.5 with the pod, 7.5 with the Salem.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by David D

Another question on that, should we use that white thread tape whenever pulling the anode rod out? 

Yes you should use teflon tape on the threads.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 3:48pm
Yeah should definitely use it.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 7:46pm
Interesting. That's good to know. I've opened up low point drains and let them completely drain but water still came out after removing anode. Not sure if I opened faucets after opening low point drains though.
Missouri Matt

David D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 1:15pm
Fantastic advice from everyone; thanks!  After my next trip next weekend, I'll plan a test... 
1. Open all low point drains and faucets in trailer
2. Allow to drain completely
3. Then, unscrew anode noting how much, if any, water drains out.  I'll try to note amount of water.
I'll report results herein...
Thanks everyone for the advice.  :-)
Doug, thanks for the mpg info... I found when driving across country with my 179 w/o water using a 2007 Ford F-150, I was getting ~10mpg.
2015 R-Pod 179
David D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 12:25am
All,

As per prior post, on my 2015 RP-179, I drained both sets of low point drains with faucets open.  After waiting till emtpy, I then unscrewed the anode to see if any water came out.  Result?  Only a few drips came out.  See dry horizontal surface of water heater compartment below; no water.  So, the low drain point caps does drain the hot water tank.  Thanks all for your input; glad this one is solved.

Also, check out my anode.  Should I replace it?  This is after 3 uses....

2015 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>