R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Total n00b in FL buying a used RP-171, need advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTotal n00b in FL buying a used RP-171, need advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total n00b in FL buying a used RP-171, need advice
    Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 11:06am
Originally posted by techntrek

Find out what brand & type the WDH is and we can help figure that out.

Do you mean the 7-pin Bargeman connection at the rear of the vehicle, or the 4 pin wiring harness used to connect a brake controller under the dash?  The Bargeman is a generic part which can be purchased very cheaply like this.  A good brake controller (Prodigy) with specific harness for the Ridgeline is about $150 on the same site, maybe that is what you meant?  Installing either item is fairly easy, they just take a little time.

Keep in mind the temperature gauge on the dash may not show EITHER the actual oil or coolant temperature even though the manual may lead you to believe that.  After installing the Interceptor I found that to be true with the temperature gauge in the Chevys - the temp on the dash isn't the temperatures the computer reads and uses in its computations/warnings.  That's one benefit of using the aftermarket readers that talk to the computer.

My base-model Ridgeline RT doesn't come standard with the 7-pin trailer connector and control box, so I ordered this kit: http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline/09harness.pdf.  The fancier model RTL Ridgelines come form the factory with the 7-pin harness and receptacle.

I also ordered a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller with the wiring adapter that plugs directly into the Honda control box from eTrailer.

So hopefully between the two I will have everything I need for the lights and brakes.

The Ridgelines come standard with a transmission cooler, but no temp gauge, just an "idiot light" on the dash to indicate overheat.  I'll have to look into the Interceptor unit you mentioned. 

I have no idea what model WDH the seller has.  I will call them and try to find out and let you know.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 1:06pm
We both posted at the same time, Charlie, people are going to think we are the same person.

Ok, so Honda has a specialty connector at the rear of the vehicle, I see now.  That means all of the wiring is there.  If you want to save some money you could map out which pins go to which pins on the Bargeman, get the part numbers off of the relays, then return the kit.  Buy the $5 Bargeman and hook up the wires manually using the pinouts you copied.  Get the relays from a local auto parts store.

Compared to the ScanGuage and other options the Interceptor is pricey.  What I liked about it is you don't need to mess with setup codes.  You buy one specific to your vehicle brand.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by techntrek

We both posted at the same time, Charlie, people are going to think we are the same person.

You really think this much knowledge, experience, and general BS could be collected in one person, Doug? They'd never believe it. Tongue

Ok, so Honda has a specialty connector at the rear of the vehicle, I see now.  That means all of the wiring is there.  If you want to save some money you could map out which pins go to which pins on the Bargeman, get the part numbers off of the relays, then return the kit.  Buy the $5 Bargeman and hook up the wires manually using the pinouts you copied.  Get the relays from a local auto parts store.

I'm basically lazy so I'd take John's approach of buying the kit with all the parts. Installation instructions look detailed enough to make success probable. At least they're not written in Chinglish.

Compared to the ScanGuage and other options the Interceptor is pricey.  What I liked about it is you don't need to mess with setup codes.  You buy one specific to your vehicle brand.

I looked at the Intercepter on their site. Looks interesting, but they don't seem to support Hondas. But I want to emphasize to John that, regardless of what the companies say in their general capabilities section, you can only monitor what the vehicle computer puts out on the bus. The Honda guys have been trying hard to measure engine oil temp, but looks like it ain't there on the bus.

And Doug, your engine coolant temperature reading may actually be displaying the surface temperature of newly discovered Asteroid Hillary as it enters the Earth's atmosphere. Just a guess.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Pod4Two View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 6:31pm
Welcome 
Ina & Philip Kennedy
2011 -177
2014 GMC Z71 4x4
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 9:10am
It was a while ago, but when I started considering trans temp someone here on the forum suggested a OBD II scan gauge and whoever it was, (searched but cannot find) I just want to say THANK YOU! I was totally clueless about such devices. I'm aware of the diagnostics port of course, but had no idea you could use an after market interface to tap all of the data the ecm holds and use it to monitor TV systems. So, after considering many other options I purchased the scan gauge II and it WORKS! Apparently the Ranger has a Trans Temp senor used to activate a solenoid after reaching temp to allow fluid to flow through the cooler and the scan gauge picks up the temp through the X-Gauge feature...solves so many problems trying to add an after market trans gauge, not to mention all of the whistles and bells that come with it. Thanks again! This forum rocks! Thumbs Up
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 8:48pm
Glad you got it working.  It is odd that the manufacturers just don't put all that info on the dash, even if only on the digital readout.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12