R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed178 Water Heater Access

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 178 Water Heater Access
    Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 6:20pm
Winterized the other day using instructions here. Went great but in thinking about the process, didn't have a 1-16 socket to pull water heater element so skipped that. Should that have been pulled to ensure there is no water in the tank? Since I by-passed it to winterize could I have left water in there??

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 6:57pm
Well I don't think you have to pull the "Element" but you do need to remove the anode rod to drain the tank. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
RescapePod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 7:06pm
How did your toilet freeze with antifreeze io it?
2015 R-Pod 179
2013 Chevy K1500
Robert Lunsford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 5:12am
I wasn't going to tear my bed apart to get to the bypass on my 178, as I understand it's under the bed.  
So I first drained the tanks, blew out the lines, THEN pulled the anode, and the water heater was still full of water.   What I should have done is pulled the anode first, let it drain, put it back in, then blow out the lines, which seemed to work well.  I bought a small air compressor at Wal Mart for 55 bucks and a blow out plug.

I'm in Indiana, and my thought is, I'm going back and forth to the south several times this winter, and wanted an easy way to winterize, before hitting the freeze zone.  I think I can do the whole thing in 15 minutes now.

I'll write back, if all my lines are frozen and leaking, as we had a hard freeze Friday.  

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 6:30am
Here is a link that somebody else posted on another thread that shows the step by step winterize blow-out method.

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 8:58am
I mention in the winterization instructions in the pod "manual", although it isn't crystal clear, that removing the anode rode isn't always necessary.  If you open the low point drains and the sink valves (and the overpressure valve on the WH if you want extra air flow), the tank will drain w/o removing the anode rod.  On my popup I only did it every 2-3 years to check the anode rode for its condition.  On the pod I didn't do it for 4 years (and the anode rod was still almost brand new).  The other years I just used the low-point drains.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Robert Lunsford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 10:51am
What are the low point drains and where are they?  Thanks.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 1:46pm
The low point drains are just that, drains placed at the lowest point in the plumbing system. If you go look at your pod, on the side, near the left wheel well/fender area, you should find a sticker that says.. "low point drains". Look under the trailer there, and you will find 2 black caps.. open them.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 8:30pm
I use Techntreks winterized cheat sheet. I printed it out and keep it in the info packet with other instructions on appliances. I live in Indiana also and always switch the bypass valves on the hot water heater. what it does is keeps water from going into the water heater during the winterization process. follow the instructions, its easy, get the pressure off of the hot and cold water systems before draining the hot water heater. pull the sacrificial anode and follow the instructions. I can do a complete winterization in less than 30 minutes. I also pull the batteries from the smoke and Co detectors. I pull the fuse for the Propane detector as it draws a lot of current. get everything out such as bug spray, liquids soap, pop corn. Techntrek has really done a great job making maintenance sheets.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 6:47am
i like the idea of pulling the fuse on the propane detector, or is it actually good to have a little draw?  i access my bypass valves through the rear storage compartment, spent a little extra time in there this time............couldn't get out!!!!Embarrassed  i did see a block of wood that had come off, wasn't one of the bottom hot water heater braces.  i think it had something to do with the small gray box (has wires to it) which was just hanging on the side of the heater.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>