R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefrigerator Temp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator Temp
    Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 7:49am
We were using the battery this week and after 2 hours on the road, our fridge was down to 31 on highest setting. The remainder of the week, it stayed at 38 on electric. Temps were high 80's and 90 one day and humdidity was 57%.
ahefner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 5:09pm
I noticed that my fridge has a 40mm 12volt computer fan in the outer compartment. I wonder if replacing the small fan with a 120mm fan wouldn't help move more air and also run more quite.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=35-103-052
2014 rPod 178
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 7:35pm
The more important element is the baffle the fan is mounted in the middle of.  I should provide a pretty tight separation between the upper and lower chambers except over the coils on the back of the fridge itself.  Mine has 2 fans so you might benefit by adding another like it but after a certain point it won't do much extra because the fans shouldn't run all the time.  They really only should be triggered if the upper coils get close to overheating.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Budward

My 8501 so far is doing well, no problem maintaining in the 30's in 95+ heat.  This is on propane, or AC,  never tried it on 12V.

Well-  I need to modify my comments on the 8501 after our 30 day trip.

First day on the road- fridge started off at 32-33 deg- running on LP,  perfect.
Through the day, and it was a long day, 12+ hours of driving,  it crept up to 50 deg whereupon we had to move all perishables to my ARB portable compressor fridge in the tow vehicle. 
Tried running the fridge on 12V and same result.
Overnight the fridge got back down to 32ish degrees.
Second day fridge started to rise after 6 or so hours of driving, not as bad but got up into low 40's.

Pondering the issue I decided to add a lot of cold water bottles to fridge (from the ARB)  and made ice overnight in the fridge, which once again recovered overnight.  This was an attempt to add "thermal mass" to the interior to damp any temperature excursions.

That helped a lot as third day of driving fridge only rose to 38 or so. 

So next few weeks of moderate driving, about 4-5 hours a day max, driving and staying up to a week in one spot fridge performed adequately in up to 80ish outside temps.
Went on another marathon long driving day and fridge struggled again.Angry

Then it inexplicably settled down and performed well on some long days of driving.

Then it misbehaved one day again...sigh.Ouch

Then performed ok on some long (12hour) drives home...

I did notice that a single instance of opening the door for 30 seconds resulted in a several degree temp rise in the fridge for hours.

All readings were taken with a digital thermometer that radios the readings to a readout in the tow vehicle.

Very exasperating.   Don't know what to think other than the Dometic 8501 is very marginal in hot weather in the US.  Remember this is a German made fridge-  maybe it doesn't get very hot in Germany, I don't know.
I also wonder if some angles of side winds while towing manages to blow the flame out, which is constantly re-lit by the electronic controls.  Of course if it is on again, off again the efficiency would drop greatly.

I have never had these problems with Norcold fridges, of which I currently have two.  One in my 1999 25' toy hauler and one installed in my cabin in my off the grid camp.

So I now officially declare the RM8501 a POSTongue

I'm sure glad we had the ARB otherwise we would have been throwing out food several times on our 30 day trip....

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 10:07am
It is temperamental, once it starts to act up, yes.  Mine worked perfectly (35-40 F at all times) for 4 years, so when it is working right it isn't marginal.  I can't believe FR decided to install an import that isn't used by anyone else - basically only on the pods and maybe a few other smaller FR models.  Parts that should cost $69 instead cost $400.  Yay.

Ultimately the solution for ours will likely be to spend $600 on a new non-import instead of $500 to fix one part on the 8501.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 5:41pm
I found something very interesting in the European version installation manual of the 8501 today-

You know the little odd shaped chimney the gas exhaust vents out of, inside the compartment, on ours?
Well, on the European version there is an extension that takes it completely out of the compartment through the upper vent assembly.   The upper and lower vent assemblies look nothing like the ones used here.
Hmmmm....makes me wonder if venting the very hot flue gas directly out would improve the efficiency of the fridge.

From the Dometic Installation Manuals

What we have-

What they use in Europe-

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 7:07pm
Very interesting info on the flue. I have a 172, and like you, find the fridge performance to be all over the map. It works best on propane, OK on shore power unless it gets really hot outdoors, and just simply pee poor on 12V. The only way I've found to make it work like it should on those very hot 90-ish days is to turn the air on in the pod. We have a wireless thermometer inside ours, and moving the transmitter to different areas can mean a 10 degree change in reading. We also have a fan inside to help circulate the air, and it seems to help if we keep the food away from the fridge walls. 

The fridge on our sailboat was a compact compressor model made by Norcold. That thing would freeze your beer and blow the bottoms out of the cans, which forced me to switch to better bottled beer. But, it was also a treMENdous battery hog when running on 12V - you think the fridges in these pods are bad? Pshaw. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 4:45pm
Yes, very interesting info.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12