R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 Axle Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 Axle Issues
    Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 8:31pm
The tire was almost bald on the outside at 2000 miles.   My colorado trip was going to be 3000 total. It was obvious I shouldnt travel with it. Belt would have been showing. Forest river and dealer are making me deal directly with dexter. Not under forest river warranty, since it's over 1 year. Honestly not very pleased with this situation.   Dexter has had my axle now for 2 full months and still have no word if it's covered. They send to a 3rd party for testing. It was supposed to be done by the first week of october.....
2013 RPOD 176
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 11:38am
Depending on just how bald the tire was, swapping the 2 tires left-right might have gotten you there and back.  Or, by using the other tire and the spare.  All just speculation at this point since it is in the past.  

I hope to hear how this turns out considering a few here have had axle issues.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
krkees View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 11:43am
My next rpod purchase will require measurement of the axle to see if it is bent, by the dealership. They can quickly get specs from dexter. Im not dealing with this again.
2013 RPOD 176
krkees View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 11:47am
And why forest river doesn't inspect that before they leave...poor QA in my opinion.
2013 RPOD 176
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 9:17pm
Axles on these travel trailers should be rated by at least 25 % or better of what they are designed to carry. 4000 lb gross weight trailer should have a minimum rating of 5000 lbs. come on engineers weight in.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by krkees

And why forest river doesn't inspect that before they leave...poor QA in my opinion.

Unfortunately, any number of things could have happened to it during transport, all of which are beyond FR's direct control, and post QC.
krkees View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 10:38pm
The problem is that the consumer doesn't see the wear on a tire, until out of warranty, in my case. I just don't put the miles on my camper. Forest river didn't do anything to help with this. Dealer took measurements, yep its bent, work with dexter directly. 4 months out of warranty. Lamo!
2013 RPOD 176
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 7:15am
   If I am right that the axles only come with a one year warranty, one year seems kind of short. The appliances have a two year warranty. The Lippert axle on our Vibe was bent but thankfully it was still with in the one year warranty and it was replaced with in a months time. Dealers in my opinion have some incentive to have things happen if they are large dealers. That is why I like Camping World they are a large company and I believe have some authority, that manufactures will listen regarding warranty claims.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Appocalexx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Budward

New axle is in! Will try to get pics up soon, but I'm very busy as our departure date for a long trip approaches.
Old axle was heavy, could barely lift it.
New axle I can't lift! Thankfully my Kubota front end loader got it out of the cargo trailer I brought it home in. I used my transmission jack to position it under the trailer, which was perched high on jack stands.
Brakes are massive compared to old axle, that will be nice in mountains as they will heat up less, and they will wear less.
Rpod is 3" higher than before, that is good as I always thought it was too low even with risers. I hate dragging stuff on steep drives etc.

Dexter was a week late delivering the axle to the distributor and then they made it with the wrong mounting plates, I ordered high and they put standard on it. Fortunately it all worked out as the rpod ended up plenty high, another 3/4" would have been getting near too much. I had planned to make new risers anyway but ended up using the original.

Test drive later todaySmile

I know this is an old post but a good one.
Been searching all day for a post like this one on the web and finally found someone with the same issue i am having with dragging things on the ground. Planning on doing some boon docking and this type of mod i feel is well worth the time and $$ plus you can add more things to your load when traveling. Unfortunatley this will have to wait till i get back to the lower 48.
If your still around the forum, have you thought about adding a leaf kit, either under axle with the set up you have or over axle without the block or smaller block?
Also any update on this new axle and how it has held up for you?
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 7:05pm
Hi Budward and other axle problem people,
I thought I had bent my axle when I hit a pothole going at low speed. Now, from what I read in this forum, the chamber bends in at the top when the Pod is parked. When being towed, the wheel straightens up. From the rear, the axle looks bent. I have had a difficult time with FV, the axle manufacturer and the service company. Angry I think I will tow it like it is...
Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>