R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 Axle Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 Axle Issues
    Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

If the axles are generally defective or undersized why haven't we heard of problems on the 181s and 182s? They are slightly heavier than the 179.

That said, I've always thought the larger Pods should have been dual axle. They're just too close. If an axle upgrade is planned I would favor 15 inch 6 bolt wheels. No use skimping to save two or three wheels.

Yup, my 181g is the fattest Pod on the road.  4 seasons now with the Dexter axle and we've not had issue one out of it.

I hate to see things like this happening to other Podders!

Ouch
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 7:42pm
I now have 10,000 miles on my 2014 178. 8,200 the last month. Never traveled with less than a full case of wine and full case of beer and dodged a few buffalo. No axle problems here! Tongue
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
wildfire305 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 2:57pm
Just bought my 2015 179 and I can confirm the appearance of the axle. As mine sits empty, it is toed out/camber in. I don't think this will be much of a problem for me as we will likely only put one to two thousand miles on it a year. The tires will age-out before they wear-out for me. BUT it still looks bad. Also some QC issues with mine - fortunately I am a plumber. My trap in the lav sink was leaking, low point drain caps needed teflon tape on the threads - one was leaking. Kitchen faucet aerator exploded when that burst of air hit it when I practiced draining the system - I should have opened it slower. 
My windows will not slide smoothly. Thinking that excessive sealant is stuck in the track channel. I might try silicone lubricant - any thoughts? OOPS - don't want to hijack this thread, I'll do a search.

2005 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8
OLD Tow Vehicle 2004 Honda Odyssey
2015 RP179 "73b"
OLD 2005 Viking Saga 2480ST popup
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:58pm
I believe my tires have always leaned in at the top.  15,000+ miles so far and the only oddity is the 2nd ring of tread from the inside, on both sides, is worn down more noticeably than the rest of the tire.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
lippy1979 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:42pm
Its typical for torsion axels to behave in such a way.  The wheels will canter out when unloaded and as you increase the load, they will canter farther in.  I personally would never travel with a full tank of fresh water.  Fill up at the campground or just buy 3 gallon containers.  Water weighs A LOT and puts undue strain on the axel.  Not to mention making it harder to control going down the road.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 7:29am
Originally posted by lippy1979

Its typical for torsion axels to behave in such a way.  The wheels will canter out when unloaded and as you increase the load, they will canter farther in.  I personally would never travel with a full tank of fresh water.  Fill up at the campground or just buy 3 gallon containers.  Water weighs A LOT and puts undue strain on the axel.  Not to mention making it harder to control going down the road. .

Yes the wheels have positive camber when unloaded.  When loaded they should ideally have zero camber. If they have negative camber at rest the axle is bent or overloaded.
The axles are made with an upward bow in the axle tube to create the positive camber.  My axle on the rpod has no such bow now, it had it when new.

I own multiple trailers with torsion axles and NONE of them except the rpod have negative camber.

As for filling up at the campground-  some campgrounds out west have NO water, it has to arrive with you.

Water places no undue strain on an axle- unless the manufacturer under spec'd the axle.  Proper engineering would require the axle rating exceeds the weight of the trailer with ALL tanks full.  To do otherwise is poor design.  
FR cut it too close with a 3500 lb axle with a trailer that weighs right at that or over ready to go....add some road pounding and there goes the axle alignment.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 7:51am
I rarely have a water hookup. But our campgrounds usually have a filling place. The manufacturer doesn't say we shouldn't carry water, they just warn you that it's a significant amount of extra weight. I carry 5 gallons in the tank for toilet flushes and dishwasher while out on the road.
My axle had no upward bend on it when purchased. Strangely, when I pull it the camber straightens under the right circumstances. Never had this type of axle before, could it be the nature of the beast?
2015 RP179 "73b"
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:01am
It may not have had the upward bend when purchased but it did when it left the axle factory!
I confirmed with Dexter that MY axle, which they looked up the specs by the serial number, was built with positive camber via the upward bend.  

As I said I have other trailers with Dexter Torflex axles and they do not have the negative camber issue.  Of course neither trailer has ever been run with anywhere near axle capacity, both are 7,000 lbs rated with two 3,500 lb axles.  Heaviest has probably been in the range of 5-6000 lbs loaded max..

Anyway- my replacement 5000 lb rated axle is due to arrive at the distributor today...I hope it is on time as a forecast 2 days of rain is on the way.  Need to get this swapped ASAP as we head out soon on a multi week 10,000 mi+ trip!
2014 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:08am
Huh... I would have used the trip to wear the tires badly and prove evidence to forest river and make them or dealer buy a new one while under warranty. I doubt you would encounter a catastrophic failure, so risk would be low. I agree that it is probably undersized and will wait for a recall or complain vehemently in 11 months.
2015 RP179 "73b"
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:16am
Would be no point with them replacing it with the same axle and tires, which by the way the tires are over weight spec also, especially on the left.
No way am I going 3000 miles from home with a known issue. 
An axle or tire failure could easily cost more than the replacement axle and tires, not to mention the hassle.
When I get back I will probably put the original axle and tires back on and press the point with FR.     Don't have time to deal with them before the trip.
2014 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>