Topic ClosedShock-Drowning Potential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shock-Drowning Potential
    Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 4:43pm
Are you guys aware of the potential of being shocked or electrocuted from a swimming pool if there's mis-wiring with the lights or pump? Instead of an RV hot-skin condition, an electrical failure in fresh water creates a voltage gradient reaching out dozens of feet that will begin to paralyze your arms and legs the closer you get to the voltage source. Many victims of electric shock in water aren't actually electrocuted. Instead, they simply can't swim and slip beneath the surface and drown. The autopsy will show that they drowned, not electrocuted.

This sort of shock-drowning event has also occurred with fisherman who plugged in their trolling battery charger while standing in shallow water. NEVER touch any appliance plugged into a power outlet while standing in water. That's just asking to be killed.  And don't jump into the water for a rescue if you see someone being shocked. Instead, get the power turned off ASAP and then begin rescue. If not, you could be an additional shock-drowning victim. See below for the latest pool shock incident. 

Mike Sokol

=====================================

Children get shocked as they swim in Florida pool filled with electricity 

A malfunctioning pump at the Palms West Gardens Condominium complex in Hialeah filled the complex's pool with electric currents. The youngsters became stunned and had to be removed by adults. They were treated at local hospitals and released.

mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 8:53pm
Probably more on-topic in the Misc section, I'll move it there.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 11:39pm
Here's an electrical safety question for y'all. I pump water from rain barrels on my pickup into a large tank at my garden. To do this, I use a submersible sump pump, 120volts, 250 watts. I get the volts from a 1000w inverter that I hook up to my battery via jumper cables. Seems like I have all the ingredients for a good shock if things go awry. What sort of protection should I use? A GFCI on the extension cord enough?
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 1:40am
I'd probably just use a 12V bilge marine bilge pump to remove worries about shocks and the need for the inverter.

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 5:57am
I tried a cheap 12v pump but it didn't move the water (100 gal or more at a time) very fast. I had the sump pump sitting around. Thought the inverter might come in useful someday as well. A good 12v might be the answer, but I'm not ready to give up the sump just yet. If it isn't safe then that's another story.
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 7:02am
Originally posted by shroomer

Here's an electrical safety question for y'all. I pump water from rain barrels on my pickup into a large tank at my garden. To do this, I use a submersible sump pump, 120volts, 250 watts. I get the volts from a 1000w inverter that I hook up to my battery via jumper cables. Seems like I have all the ingredients for a good shock if things go awry. What sort of protection should I use? A GFCI on the extension cord enough?

Actually, what you're doing is relatively safe but adding a GFCI would make it even safer. Here's why...

Since your entire system is floating, even if you touch a bare "hot" wire of your system while standing in water there won't be any current flow and thus no danger. However, if there's a failure in the water pump while it's "grounded" in water, then your vehicle "ground" would be elevated to 120-volts creating a hot-skin condition. So touching your now-electrified vehicle while standing on earth could electrocute you. Yikes...

However, by adding a GFCI extension cord feeding your 120-volt pump, if there's an insulation failure in your pump and your vehicle is hot-skin electrified, then touching it would cause sufficient current to flow allowing the GFCI to trip. I would consider that scenario to be perfectly safe and pretty easy to do since you can get an extension cord with built-in GFCI for $30 or so.

Seems upside down and crazy, but that's how it works. This is one of the demonstrations I would like to do in my No~Shock~Zone seminars
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 7:52am
Thank you. I appreciate the response and explanation. I'll try not to test it out those scenarios though.
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by shroomer

Thank you. I appreciate the response and explanation. I'll try not to test it out those scenarios though.

Yeah, you really don't want to use yourself as the test subject. Here's a picture of "Flash" who is an action figure (not a doll) I built with a flash bulb for a head. Yes, you can still buy flashbulbs for $1 on eBay and they go off with a big "whoosh". I use Flash in my No~Shock~Zone seminars to demonstrate what happens when you get across a voltage and ground source at the same time. He's OK with it since I can always pop in a new flashbulb. But you may not be so lucky if you get sufficient current across your heart. If you ever feel ANY shock from an appliance or RV, no matter how small, stop immediately and power down. And read all my electrical safety articles at www.NoShockZone.org for a better understanding of electricity and how it works.

mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 1:52pm
I'm not so sure there would be a problem here.  Effectively this system is the same as a house circuit fed by an isolation transformer.  Leakage from the hot leg to the water won't have a path back to the inverter if he's touching the water while standing on the ground.  This would be a problem if the power source is a standard (non-isolated) house circuit.  I agree adding a GFCI would make everything safer overall and many smaller inverters now come with them built-in.

A note on the inverter itself, it is likely a modified sine wave inverter so it will not have a bond between neutral and ground.  True sine waver inverters no matter how small usually have the N-G bond.  Unlike smaller generators you must NEVER create a N-G bond with a MSW inverter or you'll "let the smoke out" of the inverter.  This isn't a problem if you use one with a camper since they do not have an internal N-G bond (some people on this forum use MSW inverters with their pods)  This is a problem if you try to hook it up to your home since it does have a N-G bond.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I'm not so sure there would be a problem here... 
A note on the inverter itself, it is likely a modified sine wave inverter so it will not have a bond between neutral and ground. 

Maybe, but maybe not. Even though a modified sine wave inverter may not be N-G bonded, that doesn't mean there's complete isolation from the neutral. However, I would have to run some actual leakage tests to be sure. I'm not sure why there's a neutral bonding difference between sine and modified sine inverters, but it's got to be money related. I'll call one of my inverter engineering buddies and see just why.
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>