R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Important - check this every time you set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important - check this every time you set up
    Posted: 23 May 2014 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by outermostpod

Just ordered the VoltAlert from Amazon.  Got one for my Father-in-law too.  For $30 bucks it is not worth the risk. Just add it to the checklist of stuff to do when you set up camp.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I would have never known.

And thanks to techntrek for posting his story about getting shocked and linking to my No~Shock~Zone site, or I would never have found your forum.
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 8:59pm
Received my VoltAlert this afternoon.  I didn't have time to play with it much (both kids are having a double b-day party + sleepover, we have 18 teens and preteens running around right now... seriously considering sleeping in the pod tonight, lol).  I did test one of my kitchen outlets, which only tested positive on the hot pin.  Tested my 30 amp outlet in the garage, ditto.  Then I plugged in the camper's cord and all 3 pins on the twist-lock tested positive.  I tested the outlet and cord with my voltmeter and it is ok so I assume the pins inside are too close to the tip of the tester (wider openings) causing the false positives.  The frame of my pod tested negatively, yay!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cap-n-Cray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 1:46am
When we bought our Rpod 177 it came with a power cord. I had a new 50 foot 30 AMP boat power cord with twist locks plugs on both ends of the cord. I decided to use the the boat cord and made a cheater adapter to go from the twist plug to a regular 15 AMP plug. I found this plug at Home Depot...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pass-Seymour-15-Amp-125-Volt-Straight-Blade-GCM-Plug-PS5266XGCMCCV4/202039721?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202039721&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=202039721&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

The plug has LED lights that tell you in code if the receptacle your plugging in to is wired correctly. Green LED everything is OK. Red LED or any combination signals a incorrectly wired receptacle. 

I thought it was pretty neat. I may start using them on construction sites
Cary
2014 RP-177
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Cap-n-Cray

When we bought our Rpod 177 it came with a power cord. I had a new 50 foot 30 AMP boat power cord with twist locks plugs on both ends of the cord. I decided to use the the boat cord and made a cheater adapter to go from the twist plug to a regular 15 AMP plug. I found this plug at Home Depot...

Very interesting. I'll pick one up next week and see how it can be tricked. There are a number of mis-wiring conditions that standard 3-light testers will not detect, the most dangerous one being an RPBG (Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground). While this tester will probably find an "open ground" or "reversed H-N polarity", there's no way it can find an RPBG condition. I'll report back once I do some testing. 
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cap-n-Cray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 2:17am
On the label: "Bright green LED indicator grounded and properly wired, red LED or red LED + green LED indicator - open ground, reversed polarity, no indicator - open hot, open neutral, hot and ground reversed"

I don't know if it would indicate RPBG.
Cary
2014 RP-177
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Cap-n-Cray

On the label: "Bright green LED indicator grounded and properly wired, red LED or red LED + green LED indicator - open ground, reversed polarity, no indicator - open hot, open neutral, hot and ground reversed"

I don't know if it would indicate RPBG.

I'll stake my reputation as an EE that it will NOT find an RPBG. But I test for everything, no matter how sure I am of something. It really looks like a good basic tester for 99% of outlet wiring failures and could be a useful addition to your RV extension cords. We shall see...
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:55pm
You guys may have saved a life here! No Kidding!!

My Pod is in the driveway. It's just a hair too far to comfortably plug into garage outlet. I have been using one of my molded Home Depot Yellow Jacket 12/3 25 ft. extension cords for the last few feet inside the garage. It's also the extension cord I take camping. The factory Pod shore power cord goes under the garage door at home.

Soooo, I just got my Fluke VoltAlert from Amazon. Without reading any instructions I pressed the green on button, walked outside and touched the tongue jack. Holy s#%t!! It beeped loud enough to scare the cat! Really! Kinda freaked me out. I touched various other parts of the tongue. Same thing. I tested the steps. Same thing!

I figured it (the tester) must be broken. Time to get out the voltmeter.  I've been using these extension cords for years. I got a 25 footer, 50 footer and 100 footer I use around the property. Never had a problem. I rarely go barefoot. 

With voltmeter, positive probe to tongue jack bolt, negative just stuck in gravel driveway. Holy s&$t again! 39.7 volts. I unplugged the pod!

OK, first thing I checked was garage plug polarity. It is fine. Next, checked continuity in extension cord. It checked fine. Next, I was just able to plug pod shore power cord in garage outlet. No voltage seen at trailer frame. I unplugged and replugged several times just to double check. Next, I put extension cord back in place. Hmmmm. No hot-skin.

Sooo, I started playing with the pod shore power cord/extension cord interface. I could actually hear a faint "crackle". Obviously, a good connection is not being made between adapter and extension cord. I would guess it's the ground connection. I have had those break off before.

Until I am comfortable that I have solved the problem, I will not use the extension cord and will keep my VoltAlert very close by!!

Thanks again!!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by fwunder

You guys may have saved a life here! No Kidding!!

Wow, already!  I expected to eventually hear back that somebody tested positive, but not in the first 1-2 weeks.  Glad to hear the tester caught that.

Everyone else, if you are still sitting on the fence about ordering ordering one of those testers, do you need any more proof?

Mike, any thoughts on my positive test on all 3 pins of my power cord?  Maybe water intrusion?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Sny thoughts on my positive test on all 3 pins of my power cord?  Maybe water intrusion?

There's nothing wrong with your Twist-lock connector. It's beeping everywhere because of the large contact areas inside the plug. These capacitive testers are calibrated to find 120-volts on a small surface are such as an extension cord or 15-amp Edison outlet. Of course something as large as an RV hot-skin will cause them to light up at as little as 40-volts and a foot or two away. Sure gets your attention, doesn't it?

That ability to beep at as low as 40-volt and from a foot away with a 120-volt hot-skin is what I discovered in my initial tests. None of the NCVT manufacturers were aware that their testers would work like that and would be useful for finding RV hot-skin voltage. I have dozens of emails from RV owners around the world who say that I probably saved a life. Please contact your RV dealer and manufacturer about supporting more No-Shock-Zone articles and clinics. R-pod and Forest River should know about this test procedure.
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Kermit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 9:41pm
When checking the voltage of a possible hot skin, what's the proper way to test if you don't have a good earth ground near by or your multimeter cords aren't long enough?
'14 182g
Towed by various Jeeps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>