R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Important - check this every time you set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 22>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jimqbaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important - check this every time you set up
    Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 11:24am
Thank you JMSOKOL for the clearest concise explanation yet of the grounding issue.
Impedance is the key to understanding this!
ThanksLOL

Have A Blessed Day
Pod 171
Ram Hemi tow truck. Got rid of the Jeep Wrangler. It was puny and girly
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 1:06pm
Wow, everything I wanted to know about grounding!Smile Not good though in aviation!!
Thanks for the tutorial.
Okay, so is there any problem using say a 20 foot negative lead from tester back to the pedestal with alligator clips on each end. Most of the time you are not going to be close enough to the post to use the short leads on the tester?

That hand held tester still has a threshold before it alarms. Is anything before the alarm okay?
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 2:20pm
Yes, we often use extension wires to extend meter leads.

While a NCVT will alarm reliably down to 40 volts or so AC, the Gold Standard test is to actually meter between the chassis and a known-good service panel connection. That usually entails a run of 100 feet or more. As you can see, that's only done in extreme circumstances, so the NCVT check is a great Triage method for finding bigger electrical grounding problems.  
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 2:31pm
Thanks.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
Rustler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 12:10am
I have just installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C electrical management system, hardwired into the shore power lead-in. Do you see any potential electrical faults that would get past this device? It is advertised to protect against:
  • Over/under voltage (>132, <104)
  • Open ground, open neutral, reverse polarity
  • Accidental 240 volt connection
  • Surges
  • Frequency out of range (51-69 hz)
It is supposed to prevent connection to the power source if any of these faults are present. With lifetime warranty and field repair capability, it seemed like a good investment. Does anyone have experience with this product?
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 7:46am
The only outlet miswiring condition it can't find is something I call an RPBG (Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground). See http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/07/friends-of-gary-mike.html and https://www.google.com/search?q=EC%26M+RPBG&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Otherwise, this is a great unit. Probably the best on the market.

mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Jazz trumpet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jazz trumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 8:59am
Yikes I never knew this. I will investigate and buy the right item
       John and Marilyn
2016 Rpod 180
2001 Chevrolet Suburban
Jazz trumpet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jazz trumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 9:04am
Yikes I never knew this. I will investigate and buy the right item
       John and Marilyn
2016 Rpod 180
2001 Chevrolet Suburban
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 6:21pm
Just a note that on our trip last month I discovered yet another string of power poles with no ground.  To their credit, they had an electrician there the next morning.

Don't forget to test every time you hook up!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Rustler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 3:01am
Originally posted by techntrek

Just a note that on our trip last month I discovered yet another string of power poles with no ground.  To their credit, they had an electrician there the next morning.

Don't forget to test every time you hook up!

I have a question for you or Mike. What happens if you test your campground outlet with the NCVT and find it is OK. You hook your RV up and later another RV checks in to the campground. If that RV has the infamous RPBG miss-wiring, will that affect other RVs connected to the campground wiring? Or would that cause the offending RV to trip the circuit breakers at his supply post?

I do have the Progressive Industries EMSHW30C unit installed on the shore power line.  
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 22>