R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Important - check this every time you set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important - check this every time you set up
    Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by JohnBG

Would an RV surge protector/power analyzer that shows an "open ground" condition suffice for this test?

Also be aware that any of these Surge or EMS Protectors won't detect a problem downstream of themselves. So if you have a protector plugged into the pedestal, but the shore power connector plugged into it develops an open ground, then you may never know about it. That's just one reason why I personally like hard-wired Surge and EMS Protectors that are wired directly into your coach. Less to go wrong without extra connectors in the line. 
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:41pm
Welcome back, Mike.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 7:37am
Originally posted by techntrek

Welcome back, Mike.

Thanks.... I've been out of the loop for the last two months due to eye surgery, so I wasn't able to read computer screens very well. But my eyesight is coming back now.

I'm working on two projects that should be interesting to this forum. First, I just shot a video demonstrating how to easily determine if a portable generator has a floating neutral, then what to do about it. My son should have it edited this week, and I'll post a link here once it's online.

Secondly, I'm finishing the wiring on my F.O.G. Matrix (FUBAR Outlet Generator). This matrix switch box will allow me to quickly create any of 125 different outlet wiring conditions, only one of which is correct. Then I'll demonstrate how to meter a mis-wired outlet and use that information for troubleshooting. The problem with NEC trained electricians is that they often don't get to experience mis-wired outlets so they don't know how to identify them in the field.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 9:23pm
Sounds good.
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 3:52pm
I just shot a video about testing and neutral-ground bonding a portable generator so it can work with an EMS Surge Protector. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-bTLdMjuqU

Mike Sokol
www.NoShockZone.org
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:22pm
I see you have a shiny new Honda!  So quiet you could barely hear it on your mic.  I also see you've teamed up with Progressive.
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I see you have a shiny new Honda!  So quiet you could barely hear it on your mic.

Actually I cheated a bit and used a DPA d:fine mic with a cardioid pickup pattern. (Remember, I'm a pro-sound guy and teach advanced audio production for a living). I consider the d:fine to be the best headset mic in the world, and often use them in challenging audio situations where I want to cancel background noise. The mic itself is around $700 and the XLR microdot adapter another $50. Yikes...Smile

But yes, the Honda EU3000 is amazingly quiet, which is why us sound guys often use them to power small portable stages for outside music festivals.

And I'm really liking the Progressive EMS Surge Protectors since I've not been able to destroy one yet. That is, I've been shorting them out and applying over-voltage on purpose just to see what happens. Their engineering department has dared me to try to break one, but it still keeps working. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 8:58am
I have done a lot of residential wiring and I have been zapped a couple times. I'm not an electrician by any means.
Would it be advisable to put in a grounding rod at your campsite and run a ground wire from the frame to it? If everything is wired properly this should not be needed but a lot of people have access to the common electric pedestal.
 Murfie's law prevails.  Would something like that help out in a hot skin event? Just a thought
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:44am
Here's the deal with "ground rods". They don't actually "ground" your RV the same way that the "ground wire" does. Why the confusion? Well, the "ground wire" is actually a bond to the neutral conductor in the main service panel, in addition to an "earth ground" connection via the ground rod. The "ground wire" is more properly called the EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor) and will have an impedance of under 1 ohm. This allows it to trip a circuit breaker quickly in the event of a line-to-chassis short. On the other hand, a ground rod by itself can have up to 100 ohms impedance to earth and still be code compliant. So a chassis connection to a ground rod by itself won't draw enough current from the circuit breaker to trip it in the event of a hard short to chassis.

Hot-skin conditions come in at least three flavors. Low-Current, Mid-Current, and High-Current. While a ground rod by itself might be able to shunt the Low-Current variety of a few mA (milli-amps) to earth. It won't be able to reduce the voltage of a mid or high current fault. And any Low-Current fault can easily escalate itself to a very dangerous Mid-Current (10 mA to 1,000 mA) or High-Current (1 to 20 amperes) fault at any time. So while a ground rod by itself can drain away what would normally be non-dangerous tingles, it can't do anything to clear dangerous shocks.

Plus the NEC doesn't allow for a remote ground rod that's not bonded (attached) to the primary service panel's ground-neutral connection. The reason for that is all the points I made above. 
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 10:02am
Wow, everything I wanted to know about grounding!Smile Not good though in aviation!!
Thanks for the tutorial.
Okay, so is there any problem using say a 20 foot negative lead from tester back to the pedestal with alligator clips on each end. Most of the time you are not going to be close enough to the post to use the short leads on the tester?

That hand held tester still has a threshold before it alarms. Is anything before the alarm okay?

Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>