R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMore Wiring Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Wiring Options
    Posted: 04 May 2014 at 1:04pm
I decided to do a little exploring this morning. I am adding a couple more 12 volt outlets and considering hard wiring an inverter. I was curious what options I might have. This may help others who may be considering the same.

What I discovered with my 178:

1) 12 volt power bus on bottom of Pod just forward of stabilizer street (port) side. Nice!

[edit: It's a short stop circuit breaker, not power bus]

2) Close by, 12 volt wires (green+white) running through floor into locker just froward of fridge

3) In locker mentioned above, removed panel covering 110 outlet. Noted wires (green+white) above entering and noticed 110 volt wire chase (channel) along outside wall.

4) Removed panel below draws and noted 110 volt wire run (above) exiting. Nice easy wire run.

So, looks like one could easily tap the 12 volt bus below the pod, enter in the existing hole and run whatever along the street (port) side. Of course, it would require inline fuses for whatever you do run.

I have a small 400 watt inverter now, but now I see wiring a larger inverter in that locker would not be difficult at all.

I hope that helps and would be curious if anyone else has tapped that bus.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Lipidman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 5:49pm
Thanks.  This provides some options I didn't know existed.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 6:10pm
But wait...there's more!

There is another chase that runs the width of the pod (178) from under the shower pan to under the slide out. It's where the shore power line runs and bathroom plumbing, etc. Short and easy access to power panel from under shower pan. It was a little trickier snaking my copper snake through it than the wall side, but not that bad. I left some strings in place in both chases for any wiring mod I might want to do. Sooo, you may not be able to run wires through the walls, but you certainly can through the floor! I use the copper ground wire from some romex scrap for my snake.

Smile

bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 9:42am
So, if a water leak travels in same said channel, do we risk an electrical issue with the wiring being there, or since wiring is covered it would just get wet and dry out?

This channel is where the water from our leaky shower drain made its way last summer. We had it replaced but haven't tested it out yet. We did notice that the floor in this area is soft, presumably because it's hollow. Wondering if the water leak could have compromised any building materials used in that space?  The Camping World that replaced the drain said the floor was fine. Hmmm....

Y'all are more tech savvy than I and I always appreciate your insight!!

Glad to know it just might be possible to install a 12v socket next to the dinette!
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:40am
Hi bodie,

I wouldn't worry about the wiring. It should be fine. There are a lot of wires running underneath your rpod that get wet all the time.

I could see a delamination issue if water seeped into the thin wood laminated to foam core. I would think you would notice the tile buckling a bit if it was an issue. You can easily remove the vent below bathroom floor and poke around a bit and look underneath the pod. I would think if there is a problem you might see it.

fred
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 5:18pm
Following up on wiring options, I decided to use the slide side wire channel option to install two more 12v. outlets today using the Blue Sea Sockets recommended by others.

I already was using two of the three spare 12v. positions on the WFCO panel so I decided to use the main distribution post and ground under the pod. I was a little concerned about the ground connection only because of the number of connections currently being used. After removing the grounding screw and reattaching, I fell confident it's not an issue.

[edit: It's a short stop circuit breaker, not main distribution post]

Of course, I disconnected both shore power and battery power (at the batteries) before starting.

I didn't have any reservations about making a hole in the floor. Heck, I've drilled larger holes below the waterline on six-figure yachts so holes in pod floor don't worry me - as long as you make sure you don't hit anything on the way out or in! I made a large hole (1") because it was the smallest hole saw I had. I started from the inside, then made a small pilot hole all the way through and finished from below. Gave me lot's of room for wires and goop.

I used 30A inline blade fuse holders for both sockets w/15A fuses. The wiring is 10AWG thin stranded copper from Home Depot. There was enough room in the existing split wire loom to run the wires below. I added a few wire tires just for added benefit.

After double/triple checking all connections I reconnected battery and measured both sockets with voltmeter just to make sure. It's easy to get mixed up sometimes. I then filled the hole with a ton of black silicone just like FR seems to like.

I'm happy with the mod and would welcome any criticism. pics...

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 8:53pm
Just a couple more to add. We really wanted some good reading light in our new space aft. The overhead LED lighting is just too harsh. A little research showed that 12v. cfl's or led's in a 40w table lamp type bulb are expensive and unreliable - so I read.

We both use those little clamp on lights a lot. Me in my man cave and she in her pottery studio, soooo, I bought another one for $6.50, added a 40w "warm" LED bulb for $8.00 and plugged it into my little Cobra inverter plugged into my new 12v. outlet. I like! She likes. Nice comfortable light and @ 5w not worried about drain. Much, much nicer reading light than overheads.

Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 10:09pm
Fred, The only thing that I would be concerned about is the circuit breaker that appears to be under the camper. This style of circuit breaker doesn't respond well to water intrusion. I would look into sourcing a waterproof one. I would also grease all of the connections to prevent corrosion.
Just my 2 cents worth....
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 10:33pm
Thanks HP, but I don't see any circuit breaker or any other electronics below the pod. I'd like to know where, though.

Good idea about a light coat of grease. I didn't see any coating on the factory connections, but I'll try to find a standard.

Thanks.

fred
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 8:21am
Looks like he has a fuse holder on the yellow line (above), inside the pod.

Vaseline will work well to prevent corrosion and water intrusion, as long as it is protected from being washed away.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>