R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat size generator do we need?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What size generator do we need?
    Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:12pm
I researched the best way to secure the EF2400 and the frame extends to the handles.  So (as I saw others do) I drilled a hole through that metal just below the handles - one on each side.  Very heavy chain runs around whatever, padlock runs through the holes and both ends of the chain.  I would not run a chain around the handles since they can be easily removed.

Edit: you can see this in one of the pictures here, along with a pic of the chains running to the truck.  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3689&PID=35302&title=my-generator-mount
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Chain it up? Too what?

I use a masterlock cable and usually loop it through my genny's frame and up an over the crossmember at the rear of the trailer frame.  On occasion, I've looped the cable through the "A" at the trailer tongue or around a large tree.

To be honest, I've never been too concerned about theft while in a campground.  I do try to store the generator out of site to passerby's and always secure it to something, tho.  But, I'm not worried that someone will break out an axe and chop down the tree I've chained my genny to.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Outbound

... But, I'm not worried that someone will break out an axe and chop down the tree I've chained my genny to.

I've read of this exact thing happening on another forum.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 2:08pm
I know I've been lucky and shouldn't count on my luck to always be there, but where the heck do you guys camp?  I'm sure crime happens everywhere but it must be lower in national parks without hookups.  I'd have a different attitude about what size cable to use on my generator if I camped at some of the zoos around Disney or Dollywood, etc, I suppose.  I go out of the way to avoid the kinds of "campgrounds" where you have to worry about hitting someone else's trailer when you let your slide out.

There's always someone who's camped more than the other guy, but I've camped a good bit.   I don't think I've ever even heard of thieves where I camp.  Not that I leave my stuff just lying around either....

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by techntrek

... But, I'm not worried that someone will break out an axe and chop down the tree I've chained my genny to.
 I've read of this exact thing happening on another forum.

Yikes.  Not good at all.

Oh well, I guess that's why I carry insurance.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 5:39pm
Awhh man, I just bought a 15' stainless braided loop w/mean looking lock. Guess I'll just have to find a big tree! Fire hydrant would work if I could find one. Wink

Ya know, I did a whole bunch of online reading yesterday and today 'bout this. What I came away with was that theft is pretty rare in most camping areas. Mostly kids stealing coolers full of beers or joy riding unlocked bikes. Not that I intend to tempt anyone by leaving nice stuff around but I'm not convinced the difference between 3/8" braided steel or 3/4" case hardened chain will really matter. Somebody's got a 18v. cutting wheel and they're gonna get it.

More of the crime I read about was domestic in nature. Something about husband and wife and backing trailers and hand signals, walkie talkies, and screaming that didn't end well.

Bottom line, I'm guessing there is more of a bio-hazard worry in campgrounds than there is theft.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 6:16pm
Here you go: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26547617/print/true.cfm

Look at the 4th post down @ 11/25/12 07:21am
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 6:40pm
I had my lawn chairs stolen in Blue Springs State Park in FL about 15 years ago.  A coworker had a cooler disappear in Myrtle Beach. 
All in all crime in most campgrounds is low compared to out in regular society.  I have noticed in my 50+ years of camping though that people are getting less concerned about bothering their fellow campers with noise etc, so I imagine more are also willing to steal.

BTW I pick up my 179 tomorrow, I hope my 2kW Kipor invertor generator will run the AC, I have no idea why FR felt a unit as small as an r-pod needed a 13,500 BTU AC, seems a 9,000 would probably do the job or certainly the 11,000.

ADDED INFO-   got my 179 home today and just my luck the Kipor 2kW will NOT start the AC....now I need to decide what to do, try a hard start kit maybe?  
Might be looking for one of those 2400 Yamaha's.....
I have an EU3000 but that thing is too big and heavy to carry around....

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 5:54am
Well, hooked up a hard start capacitor kit and no go.   I think the electronic overload protection in the Kipor cuts it off too quickly.
So-  my new Yamaha 2400 is expected to arrive on Monday.  Sure hope that does it as I do NOT want to carry my EU3000 Honda around as it is too heavy for me to pick up.
Unlike techntrek I cannot carry an EU3000 it on the front of my tow vehicle as it already has an aftermarket bumper and winch installed.  SO it would have to go in the TV or the pod for transport...and at 150 lbs that won't work, I might get it out for use but wouldn't be able to get it back in for the trip homeEmbarrassed

hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 6:19am
i'm pretty sure i read this ?/answer somewhere.  what is the safest/proper way to hook the pod to a generator?  start the generator then plug in?  plug in then start the gen?  just want to make sure.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>