R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat size generator do we need?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What size generator do we need?
    Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 10:08pm
This is the thread I mentioned above:  www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1433
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 5:42pm
I agree 13.5 AC is too big and second your statement that short cycling doesn't dehumidify well. 
A 13.5 cools my toy hauler with probably triple the volume just fine even in SC heat and humidity, not uncommon for both to be at 100 in the summer.  That RV has a built in Onan 4.0 genset.
I've longed for someone to build a slimline generator that would fit mostly under the floor or even on the roof if quiet enough....if packaged properly it would be no larger than the AC.
In a perfect world we'd have a quiet genset that was no louder than the AC so no one would even know it was running!  That might get around those pesky restrictions in most dry campgrounds...

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Budward

...BTW I pick up my 179 tomorrow, I hope my 2kW Kipor invertor generator will run the AC, I have no idea why FR felt a unit as small as an r-pod needed a 13,500 BTU AC, seems a 9,000 would probably do the job or certainly the 11,000....

I have a long-time thread around here discussing smaller options.  The best solution I had found to-date was the Coleman Polar Cub, but recently read about the Coleman Mach 8 which is 2 inches shorter.  Both are 9200 btus, which I feel is exactly where it should be for the pods.  The big A/Cs are oversized for the pod's area so they don't dehumidify like they should (since they don't run long enough).  The Mach 8 should solve both problems - dehumidification and the ability to run from a smaller genset.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 8:22am
Originally posted by hogone

i'm pretty sure i read this ?/answer somewhere.  what is the safest/proper way to hook the pod to a generator?  start the generator then plug in?  plug in then start the gen?  just want to make sure.  hogone

Always start the generator, let it warm up for a minute or two to a nice, comfortable idle and then plug in your trailer.  When it comes time to shut down, turn off the air conditioner and unplug (or turn off) any appliances that are actively using a significant amount of power, and then unplug the trailer from the generator.  Give the generator a minute or two to settle/idle and then you can hit the generator's off/kill switch.

The idea is to never do anything abrupt.  Let the generator warm up and idle down.  Equally, don't expose your electrical equipment to unnecessary surges/brownouts.  For example: make sure that the air conditioner is turned off when you plug-in the r-pod, and make sure that its turned off before you unplug the r-pod.  Small power drains, like the microwave or television being plugged-in but turned-off, are fine.  I do suggest unplugging laptops or expensive electronics while connecting/disconnecting your trailer from any power supply.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 8:08am
Originally posted by hogone

i'm pretty sure i read this ?/answer somewhere.  what is the safest/proper way to hook the pod to a generator?  start the generator then plug in?  plug in then start the gen?  just want to make sure.  hogone

Just my random thoughts, but I would make sure the load switch on the generator is OFF. Then it doesn't make much difference whether you plug in first or wait until the gen is running. The important thing is don't try to start the gen with the load connected. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 6:19am
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 5:54am
Well, hooked up a hard start capacitor kit and no go.   I think the electronic overload protection in the Kipor cuts it off too quickly.
So-  my new Yamaha 2400 is expected to arrive on Monday.  Sure hope that does it as I do NOT want to carry my EU3000 Honda around as it is too heavy for me to pick up.
Unlike techntrek I cannot carry an EU3000 it on the front of my tow vehicle as it already has an aftermarket bumper and winch installed.  SO it would have to go in the TV or the pod for transport...and at 150 lbs that won't work, I might get it out for use but wouldn't be able to get it back in for the trip homeEmbarrassed

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 6:40pm
I had my lawn chairs stolen in Blue Springs State Park in FL about 15 years ago.  A coworker had a cooler disappear in Myrtle Beach. 
All in all crime in most campgrounds is low compared to out in regular society.  I have noticed in my 50+ years of camping though that people are getting less concerned about bothering their fellow campers with noise etc, so I imagine more are also willing to steal.

BTW I pick up my 179 tomorrow, I hope my 2kW Kipor invertor generator will run the AC, I have no idea why FR felt a unit as small as an r-pod needed a 13,500 BTU AC, seems a 9,000 would probably do the job or certainly the 11,000.

ADDED INFO-   got my 179 home today and just my luck the Kipor 2kW will NOT start the AC....now I need to decide what to do, try a hard start kit maybe?  
Might be looking for one of those 2400 Yamaha's.....
I have an EU3000 but that thing is too big and heavy to carry around....

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 6:16pm
Here you go: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26547617/print/true.cfm

Look at the 4th post down @ 11/25/12 07:21am
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 5:39pm
Awhh man, I just bought a 15' stainless braided loop w/mean looking lock. Guess I'll just have to find a big tree! Fire hydrant would work if I could find one. Wink

Ya know, I did a whole bunch of online reading yesterday and today 'bout this. What I came away with was that theft is pretty rare in most camping areas. Mostly kids stealing coolers full of beers or joy riding unlocked bikes. Not that I intend to tempt anyone by leaving nice stuff around but I'm not convinced the difference between 3/8" braided steel or 3/4" case hardened chain will really matter. Somebody's got a 18v. cutting wheel and they're gonna get it.

More of the crime I read about was domestic in nature. Something about husband and wife and backing trailers and hand signals, walkie talkies, and screaming that didn't end well.

Bottom line, I'm guessing there is more of a bio-hazard worry in campgrounds than there is theft.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>