R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat size generator do we need?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What size generator do we need?
    Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 12:07pm
Hi everyone!
We are the proud owners of a new 2014 178 RPod weighing in at 2820 pounds! Delivery is expected any day now and we are excited to take it out for our first time! We will be towing it with our 2010 Rav4 V6. We are glad to come across this forum with so much helpful information from everyone.
Currently we are looking at purchasing a generator and really don't know what to buy, does anyone have any tips for us, size, weight, etc. etc. Thank you so much     
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 1:00pm
Congrats. I guess the first question I would ask is why you think you want or need a generator. If you are going to campgrounds with full hookups there isn't a need for a generator. If your camping includes areas without a hookup, you are pretty self contained with the battery up front. Of course you won't be able to use the microwave or A/C but depending on where and what type of camping you intend to do, would decide if you need a generator. I personally have a Honda 2KW which should handle all of your electrical needs if used judiciously. Won't run the A/C, however, many have been able to get the A/C going with a 2KW generator. Others will suggest that if price is a concern, there are other manufacturers, but I prefer the long life and dependability of the Honda products. I'm sure many others will chime in with their thoughts. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 1:36pm

If you will be camping in a standard campground w/o hookups, usually you aren't allowed to run the genset overnight.  It isn't a problem in disbursed camping (found more often in the west).

You'll need a bigger genset if you want to run two large-amperage appliances at one time, like the A/C and microwave, but that will use more fuel all of the time.  You don't have to go as big if you are ok with turning the A/C off while you nuke dinner, and that saves gas.

There are two basic types of generators.  Inverter-generator and standard generator.  The later always runs at 3600 rpms no matter how much load is put on them, they are loud, and they use a lot of fuel.  The newer inverter-generators will go to idle when there is no load or a light load, and often run well below 3600 rpms even with a full load.  The housing and exhaust is also designed to be quiet.  As a result they are much quieter and use less fuel most of the time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 1:40pm
Welcome to the group!
Lots of folks use the Honda 2000 generator.  It weights 46+ pounds dry and add another 8 pounds for gas.  Add 8.5 pounds for every galloon of gas you carry with you.
The bigger question is - what do want the the generator to provide power for?  How long will you be using it once you fire it up. Plus do you really want to listen to a generator even though it's a "quiet" generator. Also remember if you are dry camping and carry a full tank of water (300 lbs.)and may have to drive away with a full black and gray water tank (550 Lbs.), you have an extra 600-700 pounds of fluid.  You will be rapidly exceeding your Rav4's 3500 lb. capacity.  And that's a real safety and stress issue on your Rav4.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 10:25pm
Yamaha makes a 2400w generator that will start and run the AC.  It's about as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha 2000w generator.  Except for starting the AC 2000 watts is enough for everything else.  Where you camp also affects how much noise you might want to make.  Most other brands and most larger generators will make a lot of noise.  Aside from your own aural comfort your neighbors will appreciate your low decibel choice of a Honda or Yamaha. 

If you are camping where you don't need to care about the noise I'm pretty sure 3000 watts will cover just about everything you are likely to want to do in a Pod.

Think about how you are going to haul this thing and its gasoline around.  It's no small consideration, especially when your TV is something like a Rav4.  And unless you can leave it where it is when you haul it you need to think about how you're going to move it to and from where you use it.  A 3000w generator can weigh more than a lot of people care to lift in and out of things.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 10:17am
Honda's 3000 watt inverter unit is quieter than the 2000, based on their own decibel rating (full load and 1/4 load).  I believe this is achieved by over-sizing the engine on the 3000 and then running it at a very low idle.

A note that I posted a Yamaha 2400 for sale in the Flea Market section yesterday.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Yamaha makes a 2400w generator that will start and run the AC.  It's about as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha 2000w generator.  Except for starting the AC 2000 watts is enough for everything else.  Where you camp also affects how much noise you might want to make.  Most other brands and most larger generators will make a lot of noise.  Aside from your own aural comfort your neighbors will appreciate your low decibel choice of a Honda or Yamaha.  If you are camping where you don't need to care about the noise I'm pretty sure 3000 watts will cover just about everything you are likely to want to do in a Pod.Think about how you are going to haul this thing and its gasoline around.  It's no small consideration, especially when your TV is something like a Rav4.  And unless you can leave it where it is when you haul it you need to think about how you're going to move it to and from where you use it.  A 3000w generator can weigh more than a lot of people care to lift in and out of things.TT

My Honda 2000i would start and run the AC on my 171. Cool thing about the Honda is they have a fuel pump, so with a connector cap, you can plug in an outboard motor tank and run 24/7 if needed.. Just stop for oil changes. Yamaha and others do not have this feature.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 6:44pm
Lots of great thoughts on this thread.  One caution about generators: they're a lot noisier than you might think.  Particularly when you're encamped in the woods and there's nothing but a bubbling brook and a few birds making background noise; even the quietest Honda generator will seem noisy from 400'.

From a good camping neighbour point-of-view, you're pretty much limited to the very quiet (and rather expensive) Hondas or Yamahas.  Forget any idea you may have of purchasing a contractor-grade generator from Costco for $499 - your neighbours will lynch you.

Recommended models for running your air conditioner with ease:

A bit noiser and a little bit less reliable (but a lot cheaper):

It is also possible to swap-out the start capacitor on your air conditioner and run with a smaller generator (running at max load or near max load, which means considerably louder).  This generally works, although the start load increases on hot days and you may find a 2000 watt generator tripping its breaker as the air conditioner cycles.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 7:25pm
Good stuff Outbound. I have a new Yamaha 2400iSCH. Your comments on noise are well advised. Even the quietest generators are louder than you think. Any sailor in a quiet anchorage will tell you how [embarrassingly] sound travels!

OK, so how and when do I secure this thing? I would probably only run it when I'm in or around the Pod, so that's not a big deal unless the perp is much bigger than me. But how about when I'm not using it? Just throw it in the back of the TV? That seems to make the most sense. Chain it up? Too what? Chain my guard cat (8 lbs. but tough as nails!) to it?

So who has actually, really, not second hand story had their genny stollen and what were the circumstances?

Thanks!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 8:36pm
I secure my Yamaha 2400iSCH with a pretty heavy 10 foot cable made from MasterLock I think.  It's made for going through your trailer hitch/receiver pin hole and then through the triangle of you trailer tongue to keep people from stealing your boat, I suppose, while you're in the gas station men's room.  Anyway, it works great going through the frame of the generator and either through the trailer tongue or sometimes just one of the stabilizers depending on how I'm parked.  It would take me about 60 seconds to steal my own generator locked up like this but so far I haven't had any problems.  Knock on wood.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>