R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing Newbie question - Event Date: 22 Sep 2013 - 30 Sep 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Winterizing Newbie question
    Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 5:39pm
Turn off the pump. Go to the city water inlet, pull the screen out carefully, jiggle the little buttony thing until it reseats. continue.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by furpod

Turn off the pump. Go to the city water inlet, pull the screen out carefully, jiggle the little buttony thing until it reseats. continue.

That'll do it!
TrinityTurret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 6:16pm
Thanky all....yup, that's what it was. I had put the screen back in BACKWARDS after pushing-the-button to drain the water out prior to the pink stuff.

Now we gotta drive 30 miles to get more anti freeze, hahahahha!!!!
There's only one way...
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 7:46pm
No worries, its all a learning experience.  Next year you'll use less than a gallon and do it in 15 minutes. Smile  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 7:53pm
My first year I left my low point drains unscrewed, I used all the antifreeze I had to winterize my driveway really nicely!
ontheroadagain2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 3:38am
excellent thought on the pin on the city water inlet.  I've never done that on all the travel trailers I've owned for the past 35 years.  I'll start with the R-pod this fall.  The real worry is the fiver I just winterized 200 miles farther north in Door County, WI.  Is it that serious an issue that I have to drive back up there and attend to it?

The real reason I'm checking back in is this.  I just winterized (except for this pin deal) the pod and after draining all the leftover water out of the fresh water tank and while on my knee pads noticed the tremendous bulge of this tank.  A bulge downward.  Probably from having water in it and it takes on a "set" to the knew shape.  The bulge hung/projected downward at least a good inch and a half below the drain point in the near corner.  This bulge obviously means/meant that there is going to still be more water that is below the drain point.  I took a plastic bucket, slid it as close to the center of the tank and using a 2 x 6 raised the bulge up to the level of the drain outlet.  I got probably an additional two plus gallons of water out of the tank.  When I poured in two gallons of potable antifreeze it wasn't enough to even pump with.  Rather than dump more in I re-setup the 2x6 arrangement and raised up on the tank again ( my smallest toolbox was able to hold the tank bottom to the level needed.  Back inside I turned on the water pump again and was able to flush all the water valves with a good amount of pink.

I think Forest River could put stiffening bar down the centerline of this tank.  I wonder how many out there poured in the 4 to 5 gallons to fill above the bulge to where the pump pickup is hanging.  This is a bit of extra income for the RV antifreeze industry for everybody that doesn't catch this bulge feature.
'04 Americamp M 270RKS 5er @ seasonal site
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 7:46am
Originally posted by ontheroadagain2

excellent thought on the pin on the city water inlet.  I've never done that on all the travel trailers I've owned for the past 35 years.  I'll start with the R-pod this fall.  The real worry is the fiver I just winterized 200 miles farther north in Door County, WI.  Is it that serious an issue that I have to drive back up there and attend to it?

The real reason I'm checking back in is this.  I just winterized (except for this pin deal) the pod and after draining all the leftover water out of the fresh water tank and while on my knee pads noticed the tremendous bulge of this tank.  A bulge downward.  Probably from having water in it and it takes on a "set" to the knew shape.  The bulge hung/projected downward at least a good inch and a half below the drain point in the near corner.  This bulge obviously means/meant that there is going to still be more water that is below the drain point.  I took a plastic bucket, slid it as close to the center of the tank and using a 2 x 6 raised the bulge up to the level of the drain outlet.  I got probably an additional two plus gallons of water out of the tank.  When I poured in two gallons of potable antifreeze it wasn't enough to even pump with.  Rather than dump more in I re-setup the 2x6 arrangement and raised up on the tank again ( my smallest toolbox was able to hold the tank bottom to the level needed.  Back inside I turned on the water pump again and was able to flush all the water valves with a good amount of pink.

I think Forest River could put stiffening bar down the centerline of this tank.  I wonder how many out there poured in the 4 to 5 gallons to fill above the bulge to where the pump pickup is hanging.  This is a bit of extra income for the RV antifreeze industry for everybody that doesn't catch this bulge feature.

I'm missing something here on the city water inlet?????????

On the left over water in the freshwater tank:  I thought I noticed the same so I lowered my jack on the tongue as much as I could and drained more water out of the fresh tank.  Not sure how much, maybe a gallon or three.  I wasn't REAL worried because of the shape of the tank I didn't think it would have cause that big of a problem.

Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 8:24am
In order for frozen water to damage a container.. say a holding tank, there has to be enough water in the tank that there is no room for the expanding water to fill.. a couple gallons in a 30 gallon tank is no worry.

ontheroadagain2: The tanks come with a bit of a bulge at the bottom, was there water left over after you drained the tank with the FW drain on the bottom of the tank?

Also, why were you pouring antifreeze into the FW tank? So far, we have found every pod has a winterization hose at the water pump, making it tons easier to pump in the antifreeze. There does appear to be at least 3 different types of hose/hook up combos.
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 8:34am
i am assuming the bulge in the tank is normal, mine is the same way.  i agree, the drain plug is definitely not attached to the lowest part of the tank, but i guess if a little water is left its not a big deal........others thoughts?  also the standard procedure for winterizing is not pouring the anti freeze in the tank, but hooking up to the hose by the pump which is inside the pod.  there is very good directions and even a video for doing so on the forum. 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 8:37am
wow furpod, didn't realize you posted and answered my questions before i posted!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>