Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhich r-pod should I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: which r-pod should I buy?
    Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 4:58am
If the bypass valves are in the correct positions yes. I let it run until it stops spitting for a few seconds.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 8:24am
Originally posted by SchipperPod

Could someone confirm how you fill the hot water heater?  Is it either having water in the fresh water tank and the water pump on, or having an external water source hooked up - then simply turning the hot water faucet on?  When the air is removed from the hot water faucet line, does that mean your hot water tank is then full??

Either works.. I know it's confusing, but you have two ways to get water into your plumbing.. the city water hook up / or / the fresh water holding tank and pump.

After that, the system works the same. In order to fill your HW tank, you turn on a hot faucet until water comes out. one caveat is the WH baypass valves must be set to "use", and not bypass.

Then you have two ways to heat the water.. At home you either have a gas water heater or an electric water heater. In the pod, you have a WH that works on both. In general, when camping with hook ups, you use electric, and when boondocking, gas. You can use both at the same time, if available.

Also, most people leave the WH full all camping season, only draining for the winter to prevent freeze damage. If you live where it never freezes, (like my parents) you never have to winterize.

SchipperPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:23am
Thanks, furpod!  Also, if I hook a hose up to the inlet for the black tank flush, do I need the water regulator valve for that?  Or can I hook a hose up directly and not worry about excess pressure?  Also, to empty the grey water tank since there's no flush, how does it flow out?  Is it just gravity?
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:34am
Both the black and gray tanks flow out by gravity. The BT flush is just to rinse the black tank, helping to dislodge "debris" that maybe didn't just flow out on it's own. The gray water tanks don't have this... "debris" issue.. else they would also be black tanks. Wink

Two things.. don't use your drinking water hose for flushing or rinsing.. Carry an extra regular hose for that. Most times the water hookups at the dump station are not potable water. You don't need a regulator for hooking up to the flush, and in fact if you do use one there, you need to make sure you ONLY use that one for flushing for the same reason.

Your instructions tell you to never use the BT flush with the dump valve closed.. Only YOU can make the decision on that. BUT if you do decide to "fill and dump" rinse method, DO NOT let yourself get distracted in ANY way. Having black water spew out the top of your camper is really not a good thing... and it has happened.

I have mentioned this before, but here is a hint.. Sunday morning, get up early, and spend a few minutes watching the early birds at the dump station.. you can learn a LOT that way.. see things to do.. and not to do..
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:40am
Also.. just a hint.. as you have thses questions, if you can't find an answer with the search function, start a new topic with the question in the title, so threads stay on track, and so people later, can search and find answers.. Wink

(this thread is getting really long.. and a lot of it is useful info, but won't be stumbled upon unless the next person has a question about which pod to buy.. rather than how to dump..)
SchipperPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:50am
Thanks for all the great advice, furpod!!  I wasn't sure how best to use this forum for questions; what you say makes perfect sense!  My first camping trial run in the pod is tonight and tomorrow night at Utah Lake.  I'm a bit nervous - but mostly excited!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by furpod

Also.. just a hint.. as you have thses questions, if you can't find an answer with the search function, start a new topic with the question in the title, so threads stay on track, and so people later, can search and find answers.. Wink

(this thread is getting really long.. and a lot of it is useful info, but won't be stumbled upon unless the next person has a question about which pod to buy.. rather than how to dump..)
Thank you...Thankyou, Furpod, and bless you.
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by SchipperPod

Could someone confirm how you fill the hot water heater?  Is it either having water in the fresh water tank and the water pump on, or having an external water source hooked up - then simply turning the hot water faucet on?  When the air is removed from the hot water faucet line, does that mean your hot water tank is then full??

Either way works, just run the hot water faucet till all the air is bled out.
THEN turn on the water heater. 
Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:58pm
I take one other precaution if I am not sure if the bypass valves are in the correct positions.  I use the pressure release valve to assure that the hot water tank is full of water and not being bypassed.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 1:20pm
I recommend against that.  Modern code now requires home water systems to have an air bladder (mounted above the water heater) which allows for expansion as the water is heated, since water doesn't compress.  There is an air pocket at the top of camper water heaters which serves the same purpose and opening the overpressure valve can remove it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>