R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedair tabs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: air tabs
    Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 8:45pm
jrr
rex View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 8:53pm
I hope all can see them botton of picture is a slide not to good at adding pictures, Just got back from a trip, lots of rain you can see back is not to dirty,tabs help that, will let all know about fuel savings when my son get all the numbers.
jrr
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 9:48pm
I'll be interested in seeing the long-term results.   :-) 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 9:51pm
Me too!
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
rex View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 9:35pm
Air tabs been using them for several months have not been a long trip until past week went on a 550mile round trip,and averaged .4 miles per gal increase,on a long haul say 1000 miles or more its a little savings, the tabs almost stop the pushing effect or sway when being passed by bigger truck,rear of trailor stays cleaner you can see the swirl behind you when pulling in the rain,I USED a total of 32 tabs,16 ea side bought 5 extra,just in case total cost $114.42,w freight.Ea tab costs $2.75. HOPE this is helpful and you can understand me. thanks
jrr
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 1:12pm
If I had time to kill I would try to rig up a "tail" like this guy did for his car, to see if that smoothed out the rear airflow enough to help with mpg.  This guy achieved a 15% increase.

Alternatively I would like to rig up a triangle that would essentially convert the rear of the pod to a standard camper's boxy rear, to see how that changed things.  In either case the pod's hitch could be used to support the weight, along with two straps over the top running to the tongue to pull it tight and provide more support.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 2:53pm
I think although I have never tested it in any way that a lot of the issues with drag on the Rpod is the distance between the TV and the RPod nose. The rounded nose of the pod would create a space between the TV and Pod that would create turbulence that would increase drag. I know that in Tractor Trailers they put fairings on the tractor to reduce the gap between the tractor and the trailer to get more laminar flow across the whole rig. I have thought that maybe the tabs on the back of the TV or both might work better. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 3:13pm
To me, much of the R-Pod's design problem is the backward slope of the lower part of the front.  Bring the front down perpendicular to the road and I bet mpg will improve.  Again, this is just me thinking out loud.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 10:36pm
The tabs look similar to vortex generators on some aircraft, these generate turbulence and break up the flow of air for specific purposes. I don't see how disturbing the air flow at the back of the pod could help induced drag. I agree with many that the problem is the shape of the front of the pod and the distance between the T.V. and the front of the pod, this area is subject to a vacuum and turbulence and increases induced drag. I don't care, its still fun and cool looking.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 1:26pm
I did road tests and computer simulations on airflow over my vehicle and r-pod several years ago.  The gap between the vehicle and the front of the r-pod really didn't create significant drag.  The problem area was created directly behind the r-pod: fast moving air travelled along the roof slammed down to the ground immediately behind the trailer and created a large swirling vortex of low pressure about 5' high behind the trailer.

Next time you're pulling the trailer in the rain/drizzle, watch around the rear of the trailer in your mirrors - you can see the maelstrom that's created back there. 

In reality, the r-pod's shape creates far from a sleek slipstream.  I think that Doug's approach for a squared-off rear (or maybe something more rounded-off and airstream-ish) would likely perform much better.

Question for rex: Have you tried the air tabs across the top of your trailer?  I suspect that installing them along the rear edge of the air conditioner (and extending that line across the top of the trailer) would yield the best results.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>