R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCleaning the A/C condenser and evaporator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kymooses View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning the A/C condenser and evaporator
    Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 9:55am
Originally posted by techntrek

rpodcamper, I agree that the 14 x 14 opening is standard for skylights and A/Cs, so other than getting the A/C off the roof (around 100 pounds) it shouldn't be hard at all.  8 screws inside, 4 bolts inside, disconnect the electrical connections (120 power and 12 volt from the thermostat) and then lift the top part off.  Clean the area and install the new skylight.

We'll be doing a Girl Scout campout at the end of next month.  I'll be taking the pod and be one of maybe 2 men there, there to tend the fires and torches. 

That sounds like a fun trip Tech!  Keep those torches burning bright!!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 5:17pm

rpodcamper, I agree that the 14 x 14 opening is standard for skylights and A/Cs, so other than getting the A/C off the roof (around 100 pounds) it shouldn't be hard at all.  8 screws inside, 4 bolts inside, disconnect the electrical connections (120 power and 12 volt from the thermostat) and then lift the top part off.  Clean the area and install the new skylight.

We'll be doing a Girl Scout campout at the end of next month.  I'll be taking the pod and be one of maybe 2 men there, there to tend the fires and torches. 

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

I have thought about adding a skylight in front of the A/C but never did much other than think about it,do not even know if it would be possible. If there was a way to easily remove the A/C and replace it with a skylight and change it back again that would be nice. The A/C I think is a little heavy to be lifting it on and off the roof.       David

I would not attempt to add a skylight without first checking the roof framing for a 14" X 14' boxed in area.  Use a stud finder to check. 

I once installed a roof A/C in a 79 Toyota motor home that did not have such a pre-framed area in the roof structure.  I had to fabricate one and it was not a simple task. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 2:28pm
 I have thought about adding a skylight in front of the A/C but never did much other than think about it,do not even know if it would be possible. If there was a way to easily remove the A/C and replace it with a skylight and change it back again that would be nice. The A/C I think is a little heavy to be lifting it on and off the roof.       David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 10:31am
Right now I'm not worried about resale value. I would keep the air conditioner to install back in if needed. We do a lot of winter camping and or dry camping at girl scout camps were we do not have hookups and only run battery. I'm thinking that the vent or sky light might be nice. I think I may have to tale a peak around. My other 2 campers do not have air installed but in 1963 that was not an option.

I know others that can not go with the Air.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 10:10am
All are good comments.  All I can add is that if you remove the A/C, you will reduce the value of the R-Pod should you later decide to sell it.  It is very much like selling a car without air conditioning.

Bob
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 9:44am
I agree with Furpod.  We tend to camp in places where the air is not needed (mountains, by the lake etc) but getting there we have had some of the hottest, sweaty nights imaginable.  I would keep the air.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 9:30am
Should be a 14" x 14" hole.. that is the standard.. If I was going to do it, I would probably put the Fantastic Fan there, and a non powered vent/skylight over the shower.. or just a second Fantastic Vent..

But personally, I wouldn't give up the AC for anything. It's half the reason we got out of a tent. I have "camped out" for months at a time in parts of the world were the highs were 120, and the night time lows were still in the mid 90's. I now like to sleep in the cool.. The other half of owning a camper is not sharing a bath with 150 other people..
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 8:46am
ok thinking out of the box. If one was to remove the AC unit on the roof and inside with the framing you saw at the factory do you think I would be able to install a sky light in its place? in all the years of owning the camper I think we may have used the AC Unit 5 times and that would be on the high side.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by furpod

1 inch square tubing. Screwed to the wall framing. While I wouldn't hold a barn dance up there, I watched factory service techs move around on it several times last week..

Very good info to know, thanks.  It certainly felt firm enough once I got up there but knowing is better.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>