R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAir Conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Conditioner
    Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 4:05pm
I had to have the the AC replaced on my pod, dealer said the compressor had died.
Eddy the Escape Pod...177
Ford F150
Robwid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 9:53pm
Well, I just picked up the Pod with the new AC unit and a new propane regulator both replaced under warranty.  Total for both with labor came would have been $1255.00!  Glad it was covered by warranty!  

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions..
Rob
2012 HRE 177
2010 Toyota Tacoma
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 10:36am
Our a/c never worked from the beginning as the dealer lied to us.  The compressor would go on but it never got cold as the refrigerant had leaked out through cracks in the the tubing.  We were trying to find a guy who would repair the cracks and install a fill-cap.  Never got around to it as we had TV problems the past 2 years so wouldn't be podding during a heat wave when a/c would be most needed.

On top of the whole a/c not working thing, we found that the filters were never in place and have trouble finding replacements :(

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 12:07pm
The filters are for sure available from FR, saw somebody buy a set while at the Int'l rally.
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I'm very, very seriously considering swapping my A/C with the Polar Cub.  It is sized more properly for the pod's needs.
What is it that you don't like about the A/C unit that came with your pod?

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 9:39am

A/Cs need to be sized for the space they are conditioning.  11,000 BTUs provides too much cooling power, so it doesn't run long enough to remove moisture properly.  We really should have about 5000 BTUs in our pods, 8000 for the pop-out tent models (since they have more air exchange with the outside).  Since I don't want to mess with adding a window A/C I'll have to settle for the smallest RV A/C on the market which is the 9000 BTU Polar Cub.  From what I've read they used to make a 7000 BTU polar cub which would be better, but not anymore.

A bigger issue for me is the noise.  Because they are so oversized for the space they produce a lot more noise which then bounces off all the hard surfaces in the pods.  I had a 13,500 BTU A/C in my popup but since it was so much larger (about 26 feet open) and was all tenting and soft window plastic it sounded a lot quieter than the 11,000 BTU unit in my pod. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 12:05pm
I see quite a few comments on the 13,500 BTU A/C  being oversized.  First off, definately loud!  I was out for 3 days this past weekend, temps around 88-90 (half sun/half shade throughout the day).  Thermostats are definately not accurate.  I kept mine (thermostat) at 66 which actually  per my inside thermometer  (not the wall thermostat)was about 72.  The air runs alot even at night time.  Seems to run for a couple of minutes, shut off for a couple of minutes, etc.  Is this others experience?  If this is the case (which I have seen in the colder temps with the heater), it seems the pod is poorly insulated, or maybe this is the standard.  This is my first camper, so maybe this is normal.  The A/C does get good and cold however.  Also mine makes a pretty good "thump" when the compressor turns on and off.  Techntrek, are you saying a smaller version A/C would be more efficient and actually cool better?  Just curious.  Again, not unhappy, just curious as to why it (A/C) runs so much for the size unit and small pod.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by hogone

I see quite a few comments on the 13,500 BTU A/C  being oversized.  First off, definately loud!  The air runs alot even at night time.  Seems to run for a couple of minutes, shut off for a couple of minutes, etc.  Is this others experience?  If this is the case (which I have seen in the colder temps with the heater), it seems the pod is poorly insulated, or maybe this is the standard. 
It sounds like you are experiencing the problem we had with our 2012 model 173 the first time we used it. We bought it new in October last year, and went camping that month. The night time temps got low, and our furnace only turned off for a few minutes at a time. It was working way too hard, and we were still not warm. It turned out that the whole camper had not been properly sealed at the factory. Our dealer did a rather thorough and extensive job of sealing many areas with foam, and sent pictures of the original lack of sealant to Forest River. The difference was like day and night. Now, our rPod warms up and cools down easily, like such a small camper should. Before the sealant was added, our rPod furnace was trying to heat the great outdoors, and we would never have been happy with the camper. The work was done under warranty.

We have only used the A/C since the dealer sealed things properly, and have been quite satisfied. We camped under extremely warm and muggy conditions the last time out, and the only place we could get comfortable was inside the rPod. It's a small space, so the A/C and furnace fans do seem loud; but they are actually a little quieter than what we had in our last camper. I don't think we have experienced the thump sound that you mentioned when it turns on, though.

One "problem" I did experience with the A/C was that the fan kept running constantly, and it was annoying the heck out of me. It seemed to me that it hadn't done that on a previous trip. Then I discovered that there are two settings for the fan at the thermostat: ON and AUTO. I must have inadvertantly set it to ON, and when I switched it back to AUTO, all was well.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 1:16pm
I have mentioned this before but did not receive much, if any, feedback from my comments.  We have had several RVs in the past and have found the Coleman units to be much quieter than the Dometics.  Our last trailer had a Dometic and we could always hear it cylcle on and off, it would "thump" sometimes, and the fan was very noisy.  Our pod has a Coleman and we never notice when the compressor cycles on or off and the fan is very quiet compared to the Dometic.  In 2001 we lived in a new motor home for 6 months while our home here in Florida was being built.  We used the 2 Coleman units for both cooling and for heating, and normally did not even notice when one or both of the units units were on or off. 

In the pod, we keep the Coleman running all the time, mostly to create a little "white noise" to keep our dogs distracted from outside noise and to keep them comfortable while we are on excursions.  With the fan running continuously, we don't know when the compressor is running or not.

That brings up my question.  Do all of you that are complaining about excessive noise have Dometic air conditioners?

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 1:29pm
I forgot to mention that I agree with Doug's comment about sizing an A/C unit to  the size of the space to be cooled.  The pod is the smallest RV I have owned with a full-size A/C unit, but here in Florida (and during our recent trip to the Southwest), the "excess" capacity is great when we pull into a campground.  It quickly cools the interior to a pleasant temperature which we always welcome.  Inside humidity is kept at a comfortable level. 

What one has to remember is that a properly sized unit is ideal if you are maintaining a comfortable temperature for several days, much like it is ideal for home cooling.  In an RV, which is much too warm when you reach a destination, I appreciate the quick cooling which the standard pod A/C  gives. 

There are two sides to the coin, and each person much choose the side he or she prefers.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>