R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow critical is "tow ball height"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How critical is "tow ball height"?
    Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:12am
I have decided to take Tech's advise and continue using the WDH on my new TV.

The "top-of-the-ball" height was 19" when installed on the Jeep.  The closest we could adjust the hitch
resulted in a "middle-of-the-ball" height of 19".  In other words, about an inch or so higher.  I don't
anticipate any heartburn from this small difference, but if I am wrong, I am more than willing to be
corrected.

Thanks!

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:43am
I am sure that someone will disagree with me but I towed my trailer about 2000 miles last summer and as yoiu can see in this picture my hitch is just a little high. I did not want to pay for a longer shank for my hitch. I did not notice any issues. 

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 1:19pm
The quick answer is "no problem". The most critical item is the refrigerator, which should be level (trailer front-to-back) to within about 3 degrees. I don't have a 177 here, but the pictures look like the wheels are about 13 feet from the ball. If so, the ball can vary by about +/- 8 inches and still be OK if the camper is parked. If you're in motion it doesn't make any difference.

The only other consideration is that it is somewhat preferable to tow slightly nose down or with the ball slightly lower than level. This is to protect the rear leveler jacks which are vulnerable to hitting the ground on dips, speed bumps, and curbs.

Onwards and outwards to the camp grounds,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 2:10pm

Nose-down or level is recommended primarily to prevent sway.  Nose-up induces sway.  My popup was a sway death trap and I had to keep it very nose-down to help.

That said, I have no choice with my Suburban.  I bought the longest shank they had for the E2 and I'm still slightly nose-up.  I do have the risers.   When it is time for new tires in the next year or two I'll look into tires with a larger outer circumference to try to gain a little more height.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 4:48pm
I have not actually hooked up to the new TV-  I will do so Sunday night in preparation for our little outing.
I have those level vials which were installed quite carefully, and I will have a much better idea of what's
going on after parking on a level surface.  Once in camp, we always disconnect and level anyway.

I did back in close enough to the 'Pod to connect the 7-pin.  Everything was perfect.
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 6:27pm
WinkThe refrigerator only needs to be horizontal when the Pod is at rest.  Towing rocks the evaporative system enough so that the frig runs without a problem.  (If you adjust the Pod to be horizontal while towing...the refrigerant is constantly being sloshed around anyway).  So the best advice is a slight downward tilt to the front to help with sway control.
TIDALWAVE
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 6:59pm
At some point nose up will really put you on the edge of sway. If your Pod, like my 175 has the fresh water tank behind the axle, then do not run with the tank with water in it, and pack lightly behind the axle. Any additional weight behind the axle will lighten your hitch weight, and the slosh from a partially full water tank will add to the propensity to sway. Do you want a marginal set up to put you close to the edge? I didn't follow the rules once, and it cost me--light hitch weight, partially full water tank behind the axle, and hungus wind gust. WDH, manual brake control and anti sway couldn't overcome my inattention to the rules. I thought that close was good enough. 
I don't want to be harsh, but I also don't want others lose their tow rig and trailer like I did (20' Layton and F150 with 7000 miles). Damn, that was a beautiful truck! Do what you want, but beware, and please don't tow in front of me nose high.     
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:35pm
Once you get the trailer hooked up you will probably find that it is nose down. I have more than an inch of sag in my tv even with the WDH on.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:25am
Kickstart,
  Help me get this straight, are you saying when towing down the highway , the water tank should be empty?? We haven't towed ours other than to bring it home.
                                          Moe
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 12:29pm
No, not necessarily, but if your trailer is nose up some, and/or your tow rig is marginal, then this will really lighten up your hitch weight with the added weight behind the trailer axle. In my case, I had just traded trailers, was nose up, hadn't dialed in my WDH yet, and had a partially full water tank behind the trailer axle. The state  patrolman who handled the wreck was a trailer guy, quizzed me, and said it was a "Perfect Storm" type deal with several things factoring in--inadequate WDH set up, low hitch weight due to added weight behind the axle, water slosh in that tank, short wheelbase truck (even though a fullsized P/U), AND the wind gust was so instant and severe that control was immediately lost. I had my choice of a 200' drop on the left and a rock wall on the right.  I wheeled it over and chose the wall. No injuries.  So a Prodigy, WDH, and sway control weren't enough to overcome Mother Nature and my ineptitude .

You're from Washington State, so you may be familiar with the winds in the Columbia River Gorge.

'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>