Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: US tour - southern states, 2013
    Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 12:11am

My wife just made another blog post, but here is my 2 cents.  We spent about 11 hours on the road yesterday driving from Tybee to the Walmart just north of the Pensacola Naval Air Station.  They wanted us to park to the rear (a normal request) but I wished I had parked on the northern side instead of on the southern side.  After getting plugged in with the generator running I realized there was project housing not far away with a path that dumped out right at that corner of the lot.  I was a bit worried but said a prayer and went to bed, in the end we had an uneventful night.  We were up at 7:15 when the genset ran out of gas, 8 hours after I filled it.

The National Naval Air Museum was top notch, and we really could have spent 2 full days absorbing everything in there.  Unfortunately even though we were there on a Wednesday, the Blue Angels are currently grounded due to the budget cuts.  They practice right there on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  They said 11,000 people showed up for their final practice before they stopped.  We were there right as the museum opened so we got space on one of their flight-line bus (trolley) tours.  There are several dozen aircraft in unrestored condition over there, plus you can see several in a hangar actively being restored.  Some notable items there are the only C-130 ever to take off and land on a carrier, and the only non-fighter aircraft that was in the air when everything else was grounded after 9/11.  In the museum itself there are interesting pieces like the first plane ever to cross the Atlantic (hint, it wasn't Lindbergh's), a full set of Blue Angels in formation hanging from the ceiling, and one more on the ground.  The cafe has most of the pieces from the officer's club on the Naval base we had in the Philippines until 1992.  One thing that amazed me about this museum is unlike so many others there are few barriers around the exhibits.  You walk around and under the planes the whole time and except for the ones hanging from the ceiling you are able to touch them.  The only barrier I saw was around a Lunar Excursion Module mock-up, necessary due to the lightweight foil that covers it which would be easily destroyed.  After 6+ hours my wife and the kids were done so we headed across the street to the light house since my wife loves them (I like them too).  Unfortunately a heavy storm front was rolling in so we only got a few minutes there before we were back in the car.

Several hours later we made it to New Orleans, and we'll spend the next 2 days exploring the area.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:48pm
Now that my wife has joined the trip there are lots more pics on the blog she is writing (link on the last page I think). I forgot to mention I found my 2nd set of pod keys, somehow they made it into the center console in the truck while I was packing up. Now they are back where they belong. We are spending our 2nd night at Tybee right now. The sites are about what I expect for a high-demand campground, very close, but most are semi-wooded with shade. I was told the city bought the campground a year or so ago and is slowly upgrading all sites with full hookups. It is in a neighborhood and bordered by the city water tower and police station so it is quiet. 3 blocks to the river according to the office, and 3 long blocks to the beach. We walked to the beach today and spent a few hours there. The light house is right behind the beach but we didn't get a chance to tour it or the museum.
We would consider coming back, love the area, but with a camper it would be about a day and a half each way so it may be a while before we do.
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:16pm
I'm also enjoying your trip. Keep the photos coming. How was the campground on Tybee Island? I've read very mixed reviews and we're planning to visit in September.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
kaleidoscopegirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 11:04am
Great pics and enjoying following your trip!  Have fun!

Erin - TV 2010 Buick Enclave - 2014 RP182G - Equalizer hitch
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 8:22am
I just saw a bright object in the sky.  Could it be a UFO?  My goodness, it's the sun!  Something we haven't seen in GA in a week.  Enjoy your day in our state and safe travels!
[/URL]
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 9:16pm

Yup, it drove us inside about an hour and 1/2 ago.  Didn't sleep well last night (my oldest has an ear ache so I was up putting drops in her ears at 3:30), so I'll probably go to bed a bit early.    

GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 8:03pm
Welcome to the sunny south.  We just got pounded out here.
[/URL]
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 7:28pm
You got my hopes up for an easy fix, just looked and it is firmly in place. I keep thinking im getting whiffs of fried circuit board, cant tell if it is just the campfires around us...

Something I tried at a pit stop today, i wired one of the fans behind the fridge permanently on, i did that to our popup fridge which helped. No help here. Got up to 60 on the road and now at 48 in camp.

We are at stone mountain tonight. The storms have all been to the west but i think we will get hit soon by the sounds of it.
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 1:20am
TNT, my fridge did that last fall--all seemed to be working OK, but not cooling well. I had bumped the thermostat out of its mount in the lower left corner of the fridge's interior. Reseated it and all has been well---for a Dometic.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 11:22pm
thanks, all.  So far mostly good.  I forgot our 2nd set of camper keys at home, I'm having our house sitter look around.  Not in the pants I wore this morning unfortunately.  The truck is running warmer than usual (engine and tranny), I can only attribute it to the generator box up front.  It isn't blocking the vents but it still may require air flow from down low to make it into those vents.  Also the fridge was nice and cold this morning and early this afternoon, but by our 2nd pit stop it was up to 50 degrees and switching it over from gas to DC between the 2nd stop and tonight didn't change it any.  I turned it completely off for 15 minutes and now have it on AC mode since the genset is running.  Still no change so far... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>