R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJacking up my RPod for inspection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jacking up my RPod for inspection
    Posted: 16 May 2013 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

... I think it's irresponsible and unacceptable for Forest River to not specify how to lift the pod to change a tire or pack the bearings.  We shouldn't have to speculate about this or risk damaging the axle or frame.  Clear instructions need to be readily accessible and if they have to modify the frame or the axle to provide lift points, they need to do so and they should label the lift points just as they do the low point drains. ... how do they lift Pods at the dealership or factory when people buy new tires?  Even if no one has ever had a flat on the road, surely someone has bought new tires for an RPod by now, or Forest River at least has contingency plans for when someone does....
I totally agree with TT's comments. I'll bet FR uses a 4 point shop hydraulic lift.  But the question is "What do the rest of us do? What does my road service guy do on an inter-state highway?"

I'm thinking of getting an 8" PT 4x4 then cutting a 45 degree slot into one side. Since the axle I have is a rounded square design, I  figure if I use this between my jack and the axle under the welded flanges, it will distribute the lifting weight across the bottom of the axle. After all doesn't this axle point take the stress between the wheel and trailer when "bouncing down the road?". 

I am NOT going to jack the frame up ..... Totally absurd, risky in bending the frame and too much extra labor. I will use jacks stands on the frame for safety once its up.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 3:50pm
After reading all this, I'm not so sure I know where to jack my pod up if I do have a flat or for maintenace related issues!!!  It sounds like a 2X4/4X4 should go between the jack and the frame(close to the wheel) to spread out/distribute the weight of the point of attack. 
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 5:09pm
I have jacked my Rpod up by placing the jack on the frame next to the flange where it bolts to the axle. I would not put the jack on the axle. The frame carries the weight of the trailer there already.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:25pm
One person says, "I am NOT going to jack the frame up," and practically the next one says, "I would not put the jack on the axle".

With all respect, taking advice from people on the internet is often not all that smart, especially one person says one thing and the other says the opposite.

I say again, it is unacceptable that Forest River doesn't provide clear, concise, and reliable instructions on where to lift the trailer to change a tire.

TT
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:51am
Very interesting reading, but I am still confused. Where to jack and with what type of jack. Has anyone been able to contact forest riverand get the straight scoop?? I can't find any contact number or email address. I'm going to repack wheel bearings . Seems that a couple of pictures of jack placement would 
Clear things a little!!!
                                  Moe

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 5:06pm
Came on Podders lets have a little common sense here, if I can't jack up my pod at this point

under my axel, because I may do damage to it, I better dont take it on the road, because a few bumps and potholes in the road put more stress onthe axel then an easy smooth lift by a jack IMHO.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 5:20pm
The argument is jacking under the axle like that will damage it.  The forces of bumps and potholes is different. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 5:26pm
I lost a wheel at 100km an hour, there for I should have a kink in my axel, but I don't. Also AAA lifted the pod in the same spot.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 7:46pm
I just have my wife lift the pod up for me for any repairs
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 8:13pm
Hogone, Thanks for your well-timed humor! What part of St. Louis are you from? I live about 50 miles south of St. Louis in DeSoto. You weren't in Union yesterday afternoon about 5:30, were you? I spotted a Pod at the intersection of Hwys. 50 and 47.
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>