R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJacking up my RPod for inspection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jacking up my RPod for inspection
    Posted: 09 May 2013 at 8:37pm
The rain in Georgia is finally slowing down.  I'm planning to check my wheels (brakes & grease).  BUT, I've always used my hydraulic auto jack (3 ton) under axle under about where the risers were installed.   I remember seeing something in the bearing discussion / materials that said use a block of wood under the framing beam to lift. That doesn't seem like the right place. Is there an official recommendation as to where to lift?
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 10:18pm
"Officially" The axle manufacturer says not to lift on the axle, and the trailer manufacturer says not to lift on the frame.. 
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 11:22pm
After furpods response I went lookin. I found this in rpodnation.com under "jacks" topic : 

WinkOnly jack the Pod on the vertical axle flanges welded adjacent to the hubs.  The round axle tube is not designed to have a jack apply a lift to it.  A flat jack head would touch the round axle on only a small area.  All of the weight of that side of the Pod would be concentrated on that very small area of axle. The axle flanges are welded up the side of the round axle tube spreading the weight around the axle tube.

This is what I intuitively have been doing.  Since my jack has a 4-5" cup (std on most auto jacks?) it fits nicely under the flanges. 

When camping, I've stowed a small scissor jack with crank handle that has a flat 3x5(?) head for changing a flat tire. I'm not sure that would span the flanges - I'll check when I do service. I assume of course, that using stabilizers to lift tire is a no-no?

I also have GoodSam Roadside Assist which is probably the easiest but longest solution. I wonder how they would jack it up.  Good to know about flanges to ensure they don't screw things up.
Bill & Bev
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 1:21pm
You are correct, never use the stabilizers to lift the pod (or any camper, except large RVs with self-leveling systems).  In a life-or-death situation I would risk it.

The answer I've always given here, partly seriously, is "levitation".  Some here have used thick boards to spread the load across the frame members evenly.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 7:26pm
I'm surprised that the frame manufacturer even allows axle hangers to be welded on the frame!

But, yes, jack by the frame.  Preferably within a couple feet of the axle.  Be careful of the propane line and any wires which run along the frame.  Always use chocks on the opposite tire and make sure jackstands are in place (and bearing the trailer load) before you start working on the trailer.

Also, lock the trailer door and don't let anyone in the trailer while its in the air.  Someone walking around in the trailer while its on jackstands very well may bend the frame.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 7:52pm
I've been contemplating the responses above (I examined my RPod too) and I can only conclude that the axle design is so fragile that it can be damaged if used to raise the RPod. The only reason it can be attached to the RPod is because of the two flanges on each side which are welded to the axle and prevents the axle from being distorted. Note that the flanges are ONLY on top so jacking underneath could distort the axle shape. So as an alternative, I should jack up the RPod using the frame, which is also fragile and this should be done with wood blocks to distribute the load. Needless to say, if I use my emergency road service I just know there're going to jack it up under the flanges (hopefully) and will think I'm crazy if I say jack up the trailer using the frame. Did I get this right?
Bill & Bev
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 8:37pm
Sounds right.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 4:34am
My little bit of research on jacking the RPod pretty much backs up Doug's observation that you are supposed to levitate the trailer to change a flat.  Either that or take it to the dealer.

It seems unacceptable that the subject is omitted from the owner's manual (if I recall correctly) and that Forest River seems to avoid the subject at all costs.  They sell a product with two wheels and inflated rubber tires, with a spare tire as standard equipment.  I can understand not providing a jack, since if you are going anywhere with the pod you are required to have a tow vehicle that almost certainly carries a jack.  Maybe not the right kind of jack, but a jack in any case.

I think it's irresponsible and unacceptable for Forest River to not specify how to lift the pod to change a tire or pack the bearings.  We shouldn't have to speculate about this or risk damaging the axle or frame.  Clear instructions need to be readily accessible and if they have to modify the frame or the axle to provide lift points, they need to do so and they should label the lift points just as they do the low point drains.

My little rant aside, how do they lift Pods at the dealership or factory when people buy new tires?  Even if no one has ever had a flat on the road, surely someone has bought new tires for an RPod by now, or Forest River at least has contingency plans for when someone does.  It makes me think that I must have missed the official instructions somewhere.

TT
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 8:32am
Truthfully, I lifted mine in the driveway with the stabilizers.

I stayed hooked to the truck, I chocked the opposite side, I put 4 legos under the stabilizers on the side I was lifting..  worked fine.

The stabilizers are, after all, just scissor jacks. With a 5000lb rating each. You are lifting from 2 places, not just one. If I was going to go UNDER the trailer I would have used jack stands.

I am in no way telling anyone to do it, just like the lawyers for FR and Dexter don't. YMMV, blah blah blah
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by furpod

Truthfully, I lifted mine in the driveway with the stabilizers.

I stayed hooked to the truck, I chocked the opposite side, I put 4 legos under the stabilizers on the side I was lifting..  worked fine.

The stabilizers are, after all, just scissor jacks. With a 5000lb rating each. You are lifting from 2 places, not just one. If I was going to go UNDER the trailer I would have used jack stands.

I am in no way telling anyone to do it, just like the lawyers for FR and Dexter don't. YMMV, blah blah blah

I think the issue with lifting with the stabilizers is not that the jacks are not rated for the weight but that the frame of the trailer is not designed to bear the weight at the corners. The front would be fine as that is a load point already with the tongue but the back normally only carries the weight of the trailer and that is in the opposite direction to jacking. I think you would want to be careful not to put any extra load on the frame of the trailer while you had it jacked up but since you did it and did not have any issues with bending the frame it is probably okay. 

I always jack at the frame where the axle bolts to it and when I get it up I support it with two jack stands on the frame one in front of the axle and one behind.  
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>