R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsuv tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: suv tow vehicle
    Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 7:17pm
How was the rest of your summer pulling with the Pathfinder.  I have been looking at the Honda Odyssey and the Pilot, but my sister just mentioned to me that she is leaning towards the Pathfinder over the Pilot.  I have had both Honda and Nissan in the past and love them both.  So curious if you could let me know how you are still liking it for towing and also any problems.  I bought the Rpod 178.  Which one are you towing?

Ottawa Ontario Canada
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:33pm
It always amazes me to read posts about SUVs that struggle to tow the rPod. I don't know what it is about our 173, but our 6-cyl Trailblazer pulls it beautifully. We do not have the axel risers, which may help aerodynamics; and our model does not have extensions or sliders, which keeps the weight down. I do not use a weight distribution hitch or stabilizer bars or mirror extensions. Being free of that stuff is one of the big advantages that the rPod offers over our previous travel trailer. At this point, I've towed our Pod in plenty of wind conditions - fore and aft and port and starboard and every variation in between - in wind speeds of at least 30 mph. I do not get the same fuel mileage towing that I get with nothing attached, and nobody should expect to. Gas mileage when towing is more effected by wind conditions and highway speeds than it is without a tow load. Also, I don't go more than 65 mph when I'm towing anything sizeable like a camper. I don't think the 173 has the best amenities among the rPods; but, after reading all the towing complaints on this forum, I'm begining to think it's the optimal towing model. It's just flat fun to tow, and it does not behave at all like a parachute.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 9:33pm
Sammyc, I agree with your assessment. I tow a 172 with a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2 I 6, it pulls it like there is nothing behind you. I stay at 60mph or less, even on the interstate. I have noticed when I exceed 60 mph the gas mileage goes down. If I pull at 65 or 70 my mileage goes down to 10 to 11.5, but if I keep it down to 60 on the flats or 50 on hills I can get 13 to 14 mpg. I have a friction anti sway bar, no WDH and have never had a problem with sway. I have towed the Pod 50 miles on the Interstate without the anti sway bar hooked up, no problem, not even when semis pass. The long wheel base of the Trailblazer helps I am sure.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
RCU View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 10:18pm
Burt, I was surprised to hear in addition to the sway bar you have a weight distribution unit on the pod. I was thinking of using one too. After looking at the stock that makes up the frame Ifelt uncomfortable with the idea. Would you describe your set up. It might assist me in reconsideration. We have been caught in some tough wind situations on our trips to the boundary waters. The Pod & TV came through. I have at times considered a second sway bar. Would like to hear from you
RCU
Recreational Care Unit (RCU)
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 10:50pm
RCU, I believe the majority of us use WDHs, but the ones that don't seem to be more vocal. Smile
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
RCU View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 11:31pm
What type WDH is on your unit. I don't know if the frame has changed from my 2010 171.
Recreational Care Unit (RCU)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 12:12pm
I have an E2 600/6000 on my 2010 171.  Here is my post on the installation:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1374

A note that when I changed my TV I experimented and found the ride quality was still much better with the WDH in place, so I continue to use it.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 12:20pm
I don't think that's a Natty Boh next to the hitch. I guessing National Premium. Smile
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 1:00pm
LOL, since it was at my friend's house it was probably a Coors Light.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 7:14pm
Anyone use a spoiler to deflect the wind above the roof of the Pod?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>