R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeight distribution hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight distribution hitch
    Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:59pm

I finally broke down and bought an Equalizer E2 weight distribution hitch.  For years I've been relying on air bags in my rear springs, but my last 4-hour trip convinced me to get some sway control.  Figured if I was going to add sway control I might as well go all the way and get a WDH.

A friend of mine helped to install it, he's a mechanic so he has the tools to get it done (you need a thin-wall socket to install the ball, and several bolts need very high torque).  It took about 3 1/2 hours to dial it in, we had to take it apart 3-4 times to get everything close to right.  I'm still not happy with the angle of the 'pod, its still a little nose-high.  But, the van is right where it should be and the ride is 100% better than before.  I took a few pics which I'll post later. 

Edit:  at the time I wrote this I had a 2003 Toyota Sienna, and the WDH was a huge improvement in safety and ride quality.  When I moved to a 2010 Suburban I tried towing with and w/o the WDH and found the ride quality was still much better with it in place, so I continue to use it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:24am

The parts.  I was worried they wouldn't all be there, the box arrived in less-than-optimal shape and one part fell out when I unloaded it at my friend's house.  All was OK, and I added another important part (the brown bottle).

We discovered my swing-up jack wouldn't clear the first bolt on the bracket when it was in the "up" position.  A few minutes with a hack saw took care of that.

The setup as it stands now.  I still need to get the nose of the 'pod lower, and have room on the hitch to make the adjustment, but after taking it apart several times already we were done for the day.  I'm debating getting the axle risers, which if installed will require the hitch to be completely disassembled so for now I'm going to keep it as-is.  I have a 2 1/2 hour trip this weekend as a test run.
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 6:44pm
I have got one just like it. Love it,it is very easy to operate. Best of luck on your test run.
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:44pm
I moved my WDH with sway control from my Jeep Liberty to my new Chevy pickup.  I found that
the sway control arms aren't really necessary while hauling the pod with a full-sized pickup.  But
I prefer to use the WDH because the class III hitch on the WDH is so much more robust than
any standard class III hitch.
TIDALWAVE
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:42pm
I have the same hitch.  When the dealer added the Axle risers it didn't change enough to make need and adjustment on the Hitch.  I have before and after pictures and the risers made it more level (brought the back end up).

That was my experience, your vehicle may be different.  I'd take a wide angle picture before you add risers with WDH, and take another picture then judge for yourself after you add them.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 1:47pm
Doug,
Your E2 hitch doesn't look like my E2 hitch - the arms are similar, but the hitch component is different. Can't tell if the shank is the same style from your photo.

Here are pics of my unit (less the frame connectors), note the hitch has pockets to insert the arms and flanges around the shank.

Close up:

Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 3:00pm
Your arms look completely different, which would explain the hitch difference.  I wonder if they sold me a regular Equalizer but labelled it the E2???  Mine are straight, about 1 inch by 1 inch by 2 feet long (guesstimates, not measured).  The end that goes into the hitch head looks like your arm does if you make a fist.

Your shank looks thinner, but that must be an illusion from the gravel.  I'll bring my spare for comparison next week.
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 7:11pm
We got all our hitch components from Curt, a very respected company, via Amazon.  Much less expensive than having an RV dealer sell them to you.

Our WD hitch is rated for a 10,000 lb. GVW, and a 600 lb. tongue weight- Well over the capacities we expect from our Jeep Grand Cherokee and our RP 177, but more is better, as they say.  Tows at 60 mph without a wiggle or a waggle.  That's fast enough for me.

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 8:33pm
The hitch shank is 2x2". The length of the part with holes is 10", add the shank at 2" and the thing is 12" from to to bottom.
The ends of the arms, bent up, go into cylinders on the hitch itself. The notches interact with detents on the hitch cylinders.

I'll bring the set up with me, too.

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Doug,
Your E2 hitch doesn't look like my E2 hitch - the arms are similar, but the hitch component is different. Can't tell if the shank is the same style from your photo.

Here are pics of my unit (less the frame connectors), note the hitch has pockets to insert the arms and flanges around the shank.

Close up:

Walt

This is the round bar E2 hitch Doug's is the Trunnion style which is the same one I have. Both work but the round bar is usually less expensive.  The shanks are the same though the hitch head is less massive on the round bar. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>