Topic ClosedWinter Camping French Creek Pa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Yak View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Camping French Creek Pa
    Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 3:06pm
It was great meeting everyone, thank you for the invite.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Anthonyturns/20130126

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 11:23pm

Tonight's dinner was excellent.  The homemade "apple pie" hooch was a nice apertif.  :-)

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hobiecats View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 9:59am
good morning! :) do you all have a time planned for when you were going to have the pot luck dinner? do you also have an estimate for when you will be at the sites? we are looking to try to arrive up there between 1:30 and 2:00. let us know if you need us to bring anything (besides food) like firewood or anything else :)
Our-pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 9:28am
Well, unfortunately it looks like we won't make it. Enough snow and ice here in MD to make us think twice. Had we been able to leave yesterday before the extra snow I think it would have worked out.  Hopefully we can make the next one. 

Enjoy your trip!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 11:26pm

wildflowerz, lol!  We could go down to one of the two lakes in the park and cut a few holes.

I arrived much later than expected due to major snow-related backups, but we (me and my older daughter) arrived safely and quickly set up camp.  The 'burban handled beautifully in the several inches of snow.  As I told the group, if I had the old Sienna I would have gotten stuck either a mile from home or a mile from camp.  No problems on the road at highway speed even though the roads were barely plowed.

We took dinner over to the tent and enjoyed the company of the fellow ice fishers ... I mean winter campers.  Some turned in earlier, but rpodcamper and I stayed up a while chatting.  The carport/tent is working well, not quite as breezy as the setup last year.  rpodcamper has an 18,000 btu catalytic heater, I have a radiant heater and the propane campfire.  Considering how cold it is out there we were pretty comfortable.  My thermometer reads 12 F right now.

Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 5:32pm
Enjoy, y'all! The snow will warm things up a bit, so you shouldn't be as chilly as last year.
Be safe! Our best wishes to the old timers and the newbies....
Our pod is now camo-white!

Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 5:07pm
At French Creek, Tent is up and heater is running  looks to be a good weekend. snow did start but does not look too bad
wildflowerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 1:11pm
I have brownies in the oven right now.  I'll be bringing them for desert.  I'm also brining barbecue beef and beans for the potluck.  

Tim just got a call that the cap for his truck is in.  He is having that put on and then we will be on the way. 

Visited with my folks last night.  My mom thinks we are crazy for winter camping.  Then we heard stories of how great ice fishing was when she grew up in Minnesota.  I guess if we had a frozen lake to cut a hole in we wouldn't be so crazy.  Smile 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 12:39pm
I'm still on track to leave work at 1:15, leave home around 3, to arrive around 5 so hopefully I'll miss most of the snow while I'm on the road.  I had my truck hooked up to the pod so all I had to do was a few minor things before leaving, but of course - hello Mr. Murphy -  this morning my car's starter decided to die (not the battery, the starter itself).  So I had to scramble to UNHITCH the truck so I could get to work.  Grrrr.

I'm bringing a chicken dish for the potluck.  Is anyone bringing a dessert?
hobiecats View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 11:40am
Good news - Bad news  The good: We still plan to come up sometime Sat. The bad: We won't be camping. Unhappy I work 3-11 tonight (Friday). We had planned to come up earlier in the day and set things up, then I would leave for work from the campsite and return after my shift. It's about an hour in good weather and I (the wife / better half) lol would be traveling alone. We will try to catch up with everyone at the winery or back at the campsite. Any suggestions on what to bring for pot luck dinner? If I don't hear back we'll wing it. Wink Stay safe everyone and hope to see you tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>