R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJeep Wrangler and Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee
    Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 6:50pm
Hello Podders,
My husband and I have been contemplating buying a camper for years.  Growing up, his family had a camper on a permanent lot.  Most of his memories were made "at camp".  We have always looked at the R-Pod, but were not sure we were going to buy new.  We have decided that we work hard and are planning to keep a camper a long time, so maybe we can buy new.  We looked at the 171 a few days ago, and wanted to look at a 177, but the one on the lot was sold so we were only allowed to look from the door as it was already being prepped in the garage for pick up.  
One of the reasons for the R-Pod, other than we are artsy and love the look, the floor plan, and the "certified Grean", is that it is weighs less than most.  We are a Jeep family.  We have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 6cylinder inline 6 engine 4.0 and a 2000 Jeep Cherokee exactly the same engine.  We do not want to buy a new vehicle.  Most people that have Jeeps understand "It's a Jeep Thing".  I'm sure the same can be said for the R-Pod.  My husband and I are waiting for the 177 to come in this week so that we can see it in person.  After that, we are ready to buy.  
2 questions:
1.  Will our Jeeps pull the R-Pod?
2.  What is the preference between the 171 and 177?  We are a couple with no kids at this time, but we picked these two floor plans for the full time bed and dinette.  
Thank you for any advice.  I've been doing a lot of reading on here and decided to ask for help.  My husband and I are both teachers so we realize the best people to ask advice of are the ones that have the most wisdom......the owners

Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 7:11pm
The 171 is a straight through plan.. The 177 has the push out with the kitchen in it. The differences a re weight, and hitch weight. The advantage to the 177 is the extra interior room with the push out area. We have a 171 and a dodge 3.7 l Dakota. An extra few hp would be appreciated with. Larger engine. ( although we carry a bit of extra weight in the pickup bed). For the record we live in the r dome( cooking, rain escape, etc), and don't use the pod except in cold or hot and don 't cook in it. But with a choice and a higher powered TV I would have gone for the 177. With our current setup, the 171 is great!

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:06pm
We have a big tow vehicle with lots of power, so weight was not a proble.  It is the two of us and our little dogs when we camp, and we liked the extra space.  If the 177 had not been available we would have been happy with the 171.  Good luck with your choice!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:18pm
Welcome.  We recently purchased a 171 HRE and are prepping for our fourth trip.  The reasoning behind our purchase of a 171 are as follows.  We are both retired, wife a teacher of 33 years.  We have a 2005 Chev. Tahoe with a V8.  Tow capacity is 7,500 lbs.  At some point we will have to replace the Chevy, and without the income that we had in the past we most likely will have to downsize our tow vehicle.  That being said, we also enjoy being out of doors, so special ordered our 171 without the tv or antenna.  Camping for us is enjoying the location and reading, museuming, hiking, cooking etc.  Looked at a slideout but since it's only the two of us and Gracie, of course, and were also concerned about the extra weight and cost of a slideout.  The 171 made the most sense for us.  We could downsize the tow vehicle and not be concerned about towing concerns.  Like to get there and set up.  Also prefer a bed already set up as a bed.  Don't want to make and unmake the bed each day.  So, for us, the 171 made the most sense.  I do ponder a 181 but then remember I am not a fisherman or a hunter and the outside kitchen, prep area are not necessary for us.  I know many others have their own reasons for buying what they did, these are our reasons.  Enjoy, and Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 9:43pm
Welcome.  You'll do fine towing with your Jeeps.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Jeep'n'artys View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 10:13pm
Thank you everyone for your answers!  We really have loved the R-Pod for a while.  Being teachers, we have so much time to use it in the summer.  The great thing is we do not live far from Couch Nation.  Only about 25 miles.  That seems to be the deal breaker right there!  We like Jeeps because they have character.  We think the R-Pod is the only camper that has as much character.  
We welcome more responses and will keep you updated after we check out the 177 this week.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 7:01am
Lots of teachers around here - my wife is one.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
unlblkrubi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 9:04am
I tow our 171 with a Wrangler Unlimited. Just have trailer brake.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Jeep'n'artys

We are a Jeep family.  We have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 6cylinder inline 6 engine 4.0 and a 2000 Jeep Cherokee exactly the same engine.  We do not want to buy a new vehicle.  Most people that have Jeeps understand "It's a Jeep Thing".  I'm sure the same can be said for the R-Pod.

Also a Jeep family here, we pull our 181g with a 2004 Cherokee with the exact same engine as what you folks have.  We're a bit slow on large hills but a lot of people are.  That being said my wife does want a new TV but she just gets scared on hills and things like that.  I think we tow just fine, I'd perhaps be more fearful of true "mountainous" traveling, but we've even dabbled near and around some of that and again although slow at times no big issues.

And since you mentioned it... 

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 12:03pm
There is no rush normally.  Take your time and let the others  pass. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>