R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShort queen mattress replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short queen mattress replacement
    Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 5:33pm
Dang I hate buying mattresses!  Nothing, to me, is a bigger crapshoot.  You see claims for 2,3 or 4 layers of this, that or the other kinds of foam and in whatever thickness.  How in the world does anyone make sense of it?  I don't generally like to buy "brand names" (Sealy, Serta, etc) just for the heck of it but, where mattresses are concerned, that's about all I recognize.  Frustrating but, as bad as the FR mattress is, got to do something.  Wish I could do like Hogone & just sleep on wood. LOL
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 7:25pm
We encountered the dreaded R-Pod mattress on trip number one. I checked on line, did the research, etc. Because we have a R-Pod 172 that has two bunks up front and a dinette that makes a short queen in the back. We like the short queen but you have to put it up and take it down, so what to do. I bought a sheet of 1/4 inch Luan plywood and measured the length of the short queen dived by 4 and made 4 separate pieces. Now what to do for a hinge ? I folded each piece and used Duct tape on the long side, flipped it over and another strip of Duct tape. I ended up with the stiffner with Duct tape hinges that could be folded up for storage and folded out for use. I put the 1/4 in stiffner between the factory cushions and ( don't laugh ) bought a 3 inch dual foam one piece short queen mattress from Walmart for 99 bucks. When ready for bed the table goes down, the factory cushions then the Luan stiffner then the foam mattress then Donna makes the Bed. When done I roll up the foam mattress and secure with 2 bungees and store it and the Luan stiffner on the lower bunk. It sleeps really good, I mean really good and we have the best of both worlds. It takes less than 5 minutes to set up or tear down. walah problem solved for less than $120.00 bucks. We really wish we had a 179 so we could leave the bed made up, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 6:46pm
I have talked to a couple of other posters and they just bought a standard size double mattress. The length is the same but a couple of inches narrower on each side. The prices of these mattresses are cheaper.

I am currently using a topper l had from are previous TT on top FR issue Matt. FR Matt is of poor quality. They should just reduce the price and let you choose your own.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by J&Jcf

.. They should just reduce the price and let you choose your own.

Nice idea but FR probably spends $50 or less on those mattresses.  If they cut the price by that much, it wouldn't come near to covering the retail price we have to pay &, at the same time, people would probably complain that their trailer didn't even come with a mattress!  And there are likely some folks who don't have a problem with the factory mattress.  (Lucky dogs!)
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
kandk920 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 7:39pm
I have found the pod mattress to be no better or worse than the mattress I have been sleeping on in my pop-up for the past 6 years.   It's a camper and the mattress it comes with is WAY better than the ground and a mat which is were I started. We might get a topper for it, but I'm not planning on spending another $250 or more for the small amount of time we use it.  If I slept in the pod every day, now that would be a different story.  
2015 R-Pod 178
2008 Town & Country
Fox Valley, WI
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 11:25pm
Yep, the ground and a mat or pad used to be fine back in my backpacking days. Take a back injury or two + a few extra birthdays .. Well, a few extra bucks to get a better mattress doesn't seem like a bad idea. Even one night on a bad mattress is something I pay for for a week.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:38am
We just added a 3 inch foam topper and kept the original pod mattress.  Both of us have back issues and the pod actually felt more comfortable that the one at home, at times.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 12:30pm
It seems like most manufacturers know this is an area where they can cut costs. We've had 6 TT's, made by 4 different manufacturers. Five of the 6 mattresses were poor. The one in our Arctic Fox was the exception. Our first 2 trailers, we put up with the mattresses, as we were younger and more resilient with fewer aches and pains. Over the years, we've tried replacement inner springs, memory foam mattresses, regular form toppers, and memory foam toppers--all with varying degrees of comfort success. I swear that they found the mattress from our RPod in the garbage dump and installed it in our new Kodiak! Well, memory foam topper for the time being.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 7:00pm
My thoughts on it have always been that the manufacturer has about a 1 in 1000 chance of putting in a mattress any particular owner actually LIKES.. so.. they put in a "mattress" that is not "overly expensive", save on construction costs, and (at least theoreticaly) end user costs, on an item MOST won't like no matter what the manufacturer chooses.
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 7:21pm
Ditto to Furpod's post.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>