R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShort queen mattress replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short queen mattress replacement
    Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:39pm
Good analogy.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 10:55am
For my 176T - In early June I purchased a 5 1/2 inch foam mattress from MattressInsider.Com (short queen 60 x 75). It fits tightly in my 176T when closed (tent down) and well into the tent area (63 x 48) when open with a 27" overlap into the seating area - I added a 12" board across the table support to support the 3-4" that extends into the table opening and one of the small cushions. This leaves a smaller area for a small, lite table that I purchased for 2 people sitting across one another.  I'm using the heavy table outside under the Dome.

This mattress ($277) has been really great 1 week into my 5 week trip to Maine. On the hard tent base my wife says it's as good as our $1500 matress at homeTongue.  I plan to put the heavy table in my garage when I return - too bulky and heavy!  I'll make some other fill boards to replace the heavy table when transporting cushions & matress between locations.

I'd love to post some pictures ... but I can't figure out how to use photos from my I-pad2 'camera roll' and this forum.  Does anyone know how to do this?

3 weeks to go in Maine (1st two days were rainy with lots of drippy spots in the Dome ... Inside Pod was dry except for some small damp spots in the foldout tent corners) and 1week allocated for traveling back to Atlanta!Smile
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
greynomad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 8:59pm
I went to Camping World and got a short Queen there and took the one that came with the RPOD and dumped it.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 6:52am
Bill, you will probably have to resize your photos first before uploading them to the site.  One of the downsides to this forum software is it won't automatically resize pics for you.  You may have to experiment to find a good size. 

Once you are ready to upload a pic, you need to go to "advanced mode", either by using the "Post Reply" button just under the last post on the left, or with the arrow that points to the upper-right just above the Quick Reply text box.  Then look for the little picture of a tree, and use the buttons on the left side to upload your picture.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 4:38am
I would love to find a mattress that is 2" shorted in both directions.  That would make it 1" shorter on each end and each side.  It would be a lot easier to put a sheet on.  Right now it is a very tight fit.

Terry 
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 10:51am
Originally posted by TerryM

I would love to find a mattress that is 2" shorted in both directions.  That would make it 1" shorter on each end and each side.  It would be a lot easier to put a sheet on.  Right now it is a very tight fit.

Terry 

We just roll without sheets..

It's camping.. we use sleeping bags. Just left that factory duvet thing in place, throw our double bag on, and good to go. No more trouble to wash the bags when we get home than a set of sheets..
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 1:27pm

We all do the sleeping bag thing, too.

Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:09pm
Our sleeping bags are way too warm in the pod so we are using sheets and quilts. I find it a bit easier not to use fitted sheets. We have never used that ugly bed cover that came with the pod. It will be mint if we ever sell our unit.
We learned quickly -but not quite quickly enough- to keep our heads down when making the bedPinch!
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 7:07pm
We bought very light bags and are happy with them.. 
The E Train View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 10:25am

We have a 176-T, so here is what we did. Our Criteria:

• We don't like the air mattress feel - when I roll over, she acts like a fishing bobber.
  • We like the feel of the memory foam, but not the heat retention.
  • We like to sit around the dinette (all sides) so we wanted to keep the "fold-ability" during the day. 

Our solution:

• 4 inch memory foam from Wally-World (2 inch memory foam with 2 inch foam backer), cut to size with a razor blade
  • 2 inch down-alternative pillow top bed topper from Target; as is. Technically too long, but is held in place by elastic and fits just fine.

The topper from target allows the mattress to "breathe" and the memory foam from Wally provides support. The system is still foldable for all-day dinette use, and, as a bonus, the folded system provides a backrest for dinette seating!Big smile

We just finished out first trip and it worked great - comfortable, not "sweaty," and slept like a baby.
"What happens in the POD, stays in the POD."
2002 Dakota (pulling a) 2012 R-Pod 176T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>