R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway bars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway bars
    Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 11:03am
I have read the different pros and cons and using an anti-sway bar and had decided I could probably do without one. That decision came despite living in one of the windiest cities in the country. Now, as I sit here wring this, the wind is blowing 25 mph with gusts to 40 outside. If I wanted to tow today, I would be in a pickle. That being said, does anyone have a particular brand or type of sway bar they use or would recommend?Confused
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 12:10pm
We never really had experienced much of a sway problem until we headed out this past labour day.  The winds were strong and very gusty and driving was a horrible experience.  It was so windy that the spare tire cover blew off of our r-pod.  Several times I had to slow down to reduce the swaying.  The experience was bad enough that I decided to install a sway bar.

Sway bars are cheap and they're easy to use.  They're also easy to install yourself with a few basic tools.  Personally, I've got a Husky sway control, and I happily recommend it; I never did look at others, the Husky was the model my dealer had in stock.  It cost me $60 for the sway bar; I paid a local garage $20 cash to weld the mount onto my receiver draw bar, and I bought a titanium-coated drill bit (to make drilling into the frame MUCH easier) for $4.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 1:01pm
My previous pup required a sway bar - I wouldn't dare try to tow it above 30 w/o it.  I also added air bags in my TV's rear suspension to help with the tongue weight.  The pup was nearly 3500 pounds when loaded.

When I got our 'pod I decided to try nothing (other than the existing air bags).  It is by far the most comfortable towing experience of anything I've towed in 22+ years.  I went a year like that, with only the occasional minor wiggle.  Easily corrected with the brake controller.  Then, like Outbound, I had a 4 hour trip home from the beach this year with decent winds and decided I should add some sway control.  Since I was going that far I thought I would look into a weight distribution hitch that included sway control.

I always heard very good things about the Equalizer, good weight distribution properties and a lot of sway control.  Not that long ago they came out with the Equalizer E2.  Same WD properties but only about 20% of the sway control as the original, and $100+ cheaper.  Since I didn't need a ton of sway control I decided to try it.  I went with the 4000 pound model with the square (straight) arms, it cost me around $450 online.  I installed it with a friend of mine.  It took about 3 hours before we "dialed it in", but hitching up only takes a few minutes longer than before.  Just be prepared to spend time getting it right when you first install it.

Like the Prodigy break controller that I put off getting for a while, I wish I had purchased a weight distribution hitch a long time ago.  I should have had one for my pup since it was much heavier.  The ride quality is night and day - those heavy-feeling rear-axle bounces you get from every bump in the road, GONE.  Between the Prodigy and the E2 I often can't tell I'm towing a trailer.  I highly recommend both. 

The only catch is the parts for a WDH are fairly heavy, so if you have trouble lifting you might want to leave the hitch permanently installed (with a hitch lock).  The arms are lighter (but not light) and would be installed when you hitch up.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 12:10am
Originally posted by psaman

I have read the different pros and cons and using an anti-sway bar and had decided I could probably do without one. That decision came despite living in one of the windiest cities in the country. Now, as I sit here wring this, the wind is blowing 25 mph with gusts to 40 outside. If I wanted to tow today, I would be in a pickle. That being said, does anyone have a particular brand or type of sway bar they use or would recommend?Confused

E2 Equalizer Sway Control Hitch is what Colonial Del Rey "Our" dealer put on for me.  I've had it for two seasons now and the wind is always pushing the wrong way in Corpus coming or leaving. Never has a problem with trucks or wind (other than MPG).  Couple of times (because of other drivers cutting in too close or animals in the road), I've had to shift lanes or move quickly I've seen a little wiggle that corrects quickly. 

Think of it this way 2 ton water buffalo, pulling a 21/2 ton whale by the tongue..you want all the control you can get. Ermm 

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Jim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:45am
I would not be without a sway bar. One experience on a four lane with a bus or flat front tractor trailrer passing would make anyone a believer, wind comes in many forms.
The best I have ever had is a Reese Doulde cam. They are more expensivge but you can track down good used ones. They are so robust that they would never wear out. The friction single sway bar is good too, but you have to remove them when backing up. I did not one time and  bent up a 1/4" plate on my hitch.
The most cost effective way would to look for used. You should have one!Clap
Jim
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Jim

The friction single sway bar is good too, but you have to remove them when backing up.

Not all friction sway bars must be removed when backing up.  My own Husky does not.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 1:12pm
I also have a Husky friction sway bar and have never had to remove it to back into my driveway or campsite.
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
 Post Reply Post Reply