Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe PooPOD Comes Home

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The PooPOD Comes Home
    Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:56pm
What a day! Mike, Skye (our Poodle) and I drove from the Farm in SC to Winston-Salem to pick up the PooPOD. Started out a nice day but we expected bad weather both in SC and in Winston-Salem. The wind was picking up before we were 50 miles down the road.
 I've been pulling a TAB with my Ford Escape for 6 years so I'm used to towing but some things were unexpected.  Mike traded an old car we kept around the Farm simply because it was cheap to loan out to customers of our Aircraft Maintenance business. So out went the Old Olds and in came a 2007 EDGE which was to be my primary tow vehicle (3.5 Liter, tow rate 3,500).  As a backup tow vehicle we expected to use our 1999 Ford Explorer (4.0, tow rate 4,500) which would also be loaned out to customers. Today we were driving the Explorer because the Edge is being Dealer serviced.
Our walk through was well done but I didn't expect to spend an extra couple of hundred for screens for the openings/vents  to keep insects from building nest, a water regulator, and the sewer hose. What's with that? Does everyone have problems with insects?
The RV dealer talked Mike into a 4 point anti-sway and weight distribution system. The trip home proved that the anti-sway is worth the money. We have very high winds, heavy rain bands, and wind shears. While I was driving a 18 wheeler came by and sure rocked our boat. As we made the last turn to home, Mike allows that the Explorer may have to be the primary tow vehicle.

Paula
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:08pm

I think you would have been Ok w/o the insect screens, water regulator, sway and weight distribution system.  Usually you can get the dealer to throw in the sewer hose in the deal.

I think I found the start of a wasp nest inside my fridge compartment on my popup once and I never use anything to block the vents.  If you want to be extra cautious you could just use a sheet of plastic taped over the vents when its in storage and take it off for the road and when in use (it stays too hot in there when the fridge is on).

I bought a water pressure regulator years ago and found it cut the water pressure so much at most campgrounds that I couldn't use the shower when it was in place (my popup had a shower).  Never used it again.  Like the electric system, the water system at most campgrounds is at its limit and I don't think its something to worry about.  

My popup is very dangerous above 50 mph if the sway bar isn't in place.  Same for my utility trailer when its loaded improperly.  I've towed many other trailers and hands-down the 'pod is the most comfortable and stable trailer I've ever towed.  The independent suspension and non-trailer tires along with the balance and air flow give it the comfort and stability.  When I picked up my 'pod w/o a sway bar I figured I would have to drive home slowly and install one soon after.  After a half-dozen trips last year I know now I'll never get one.  I've been passed by 18-wheelers while going 70 downhill on a curve (just about the worst-possible case) and didn't get more than one small wiggle.  Even intentionally jerking the wheel in those conditions barely gives me an issue.  I'll be the first to admit that other factors like the distance of the ball from the rear axle on the tow vehicle and other tow vehicle factors could cause an issue with the same trailer on other vehicles, but many others have said that they find their 'pod is fine.  But sway control is one of those things where if a few hundred gives you peace of mind on the road, go for it.  Can only help.

My popup was much heavier than the 'pod (right on 3500 lbs when loaded) and I was on the fence about getting a weight distribution system for it.  Probably should have but got away with airbags on the tow vehicle instead.  Definitely don't need it for the 'pod.  But again, if a few hundred gives peace of mind...

One thing I do recommend is to buy a cheap line tester and a Kill-a-watt.  One of those plug-in testers that has the red/green/yellow lights.  The tester will tell you if the campground outlet is wired correctly.  Some aren't.  The Kill-a-watt will tell you if the voltage is too high or too low - more than 127 or less than 110 and there is a problem.  As I said before the electric systems are often overtaxed, especially on 95 degree days when every air conditioner is on.  The voltage will sag and if you plug in below 110 you can damage electronics and A/C compressors.  Use both items before you plug in, then keep the Kill-a-watt plugged in inside so you can keep an eye on it during the day when things can get low.  You could just use a cheap volt meter but the Kill-a-watt lets you keep it plugged in all the time.  You'll need to use one of the "hockey puck" adapters to test the 30 amp outlet with both things.  Don't just test the 20 amp outlet next to the 30 amp outlet and assume that the 30 amp outlet is fine.  One could be wired correctly and the other isn't, and one could have a bad connection giving you a low voltage when the other is fine.  Test the 30 amp outlet (and the 20 if you are going to use it for something else).

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:19am
Enjoy the new R-pod!  I have pulled our R-pod with several different Vehicles and have found they all handle different.  I do not have sway and weight distribution system on my at this time but I'm thinking that this year we will use our Chevy Trail Blazer on all the trips.  I have used a Jeep Liberty, Ford Ranger, Ford F-350, and Chevy Full size Truck to move it around.  I found it is important to make sure the trailer is level with the vehicle so I have different size drops for them.  
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:09am
Glad you made it home safely.  IMO the dealer directed you in the right direction when it comes to the sway & weight distribution hitch.  We are big believers in having that extra protection (and peace of mind)  for the safety of you, your family and everyone else on the road.  Many happy and safe travels.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Paula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 9:46pm
Thanks, everyone! Good thoughts from all of you. I haven't put the screens on the frig vents yet and may not. They have to be cut to size and I'm not good at cutting metal. I may use the plastic trick!
Paula
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:33am
Can you give a brand of line tester, I am so new at this. I will look up the Kill-a-watt by name.
Have started my morning reading the hints and fun things, this IS a great site
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 1:13pm
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 5:18pm
You are on the spot! Thank you. I have it on my list, now even know what it looks like. Walmart surely has them . Not going out until Wednesday, our town is swamped with tourists and the roads looks like a war zone.Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply