Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet Peeve - pun intended
    Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 1:22pm
Definitely the easier solution, MM.  Cool
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 10:00am
OK... reading all this tells me to go back to square one. Don't leave any critter in car ( our Winters don't get cold enough that several blankets to snuggle in won't do) in heat. Looks to me back to fast food if on road with animals, besides they always want a bite if they are hanging out over your head while you eat.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 4:46pm
Does a running parked vehicle have to attended by humans?LOL

The Toyota was much easier to rig up than the diesel pickup*, only needed one relay to bridge the run power into and out of the ignition switch.  There is also a switch that picks up the brake pedal being pushed, which would be necessary to attempt to get the transmission out of park,  and shuts  the vehicle down.  You can't re-engage it without the key.
Speaking of over temp-  I forgot I also found a talking thermometer with a temperature alarm setpoint-  it is placed to activate the VOX on the 2 ways and lets us know if the cooling failed or was inadequate.   I found it at Radio Shack several years ago, just checked, they no longer sell it.

*The diesel pickup system started as a turbo cool down timer-  IOW when exhaust gas temp is high but I want shut off and leave the vehicle- I activate the timer, it runs the engine for a few minutes then shuts down- again the vehicle can't driven in this mode.  Transmission locked in park, steering wheel locked etc..  After making all that work it occured to me it could be used as a dog cooler too!

Man- the stuff we go through for our beloved petsBig smile
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 2:04pm
It just occured to me that you could go a different route, which would work with any car/truck, and would be even easier to figure out.  Start the vehicle with the key, leaving it in the ignition (or for newer cars with keyless ignitions, take it with you).  Additional circuitry needed would only need to tap the overhead light circuit, brake light circuit, maybe even add a wire you could tightly weave through the steering wheel so if it is turned it would unplug.  Any of these things are triggered, kill the ignition system and sound the horn.  Add to the big sign on the driver's window "vehicle will shut off if entered", and add a steering wheel lock (I know they can be easily defeated, just have it for visual impact).  That design would be very simple, and again most of it would be universal for any vehicle.

The big caveat to any of these designs, including Budward's, is many jurisdictions have fines for leaving a vehicle on but unattended.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 1:46pm
If a vehicle already has remote start capability it would be fairly easy to hack a remote with some additional electronics, to "push" the start button after it senses the vehicle has shut down (since most remote start systems will only stay on for 10-15 minutes). 

Downsides are the need for a dedicated remote, and it would add some additional start cycles to the starter and engine.  Not something you would want to use for hours at a time UNLESS the vehicle was a hybrid OR one of the newer non-hybrid models which shuts off at traffic lights.  Both types are designed for tens of thousands of extra starting cycles.  I could keep the A/C running for days on one tank of gas in my Prius.

The advantage would be very little additional circuitry needed and almost no change to the vehicle other than tapping +12, ground, and an accessory wire that you've tested goes low when the engine shuts off.  Probably just a standard accessory tap would work but you may have to go as far as tapping the power to the ignition system to be sure.  The core design would be the same for any vehicle.

You could take it a step further for safety and add a temperature probe and some additional circuitry that will sound the car horn if it gets too hot in the car.  That would add one more tap for the car horn.
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 9:36am
mentioned this to my roofer yesterday. he has a Yorkie who is Boss. goes everyplace with him.
the cars with punched in code is how he does it. leaves it running, locks up with ac on for little one. never to far from it, since he is boss man , doing none of the actual work on roofs now.
I still get to wondering if someone could make off with the car in some way. Darn hackers are into everything
if lady was new to US she just did not think. They may eat their dogs. I KNOW that may not nice thing to say, but we live and think differently here. I may get a load down on my head for having said this., but different countries have different outlook. After all we eat cows... India, maybe not.
But my blonde, chocolate brown huge eyed Labradoodle grand daughter dog is sooo funny and that tail is a table cleaner.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 6:36am
Seems to me the dogs weren't bothering anyone and were just vegging. She needed to understand her behavior was unacceptableBig smile
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 9:21pm
For her or the dogs?
2014 179
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 8:35pm
Another case for pepper spray?
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

Good for you to have found a way for your dogs to go but be left in car. we always had dogs in the motorcoaches, anytime stopped(as to eat out on the road) we left the ac on for them. Would be interested (as a non-mechanical person) how you did the set up if I should find myself needing to use it.

The system I devised is rather complicated and depends on the vehicle.   On my 96 diesel it required quite a bank of relays.  On my 11 Toyota it was simpler, but one has to be very cautious tapping into wiring on late model vehicles, it would easy to blow a $1000+ computer.

Note one of your dogs is a Labradoddle, son has one, just eat you up with kisses!

That sure is true! Ours is a hoot...he loves to watch me working on things, its like he is thinking- hey I could do that if I had thumbs!   He also loves to catch me with both hands occupied, laying on the ground under some trailer and give me a good ear lickingLOL

But the woman, tapping on the window to see AMERICAN dogs, LOL , how different are Asian dogs?

We were very puzzled by this woman's strange behavior, her and her husband had apparently just arrived in the US, no idea where from but dogs must have been a rarity.  She spoke very little English and seemed unconcerned we were so upset at her.  The dogs scratched the heck out of the plastic interior door trim trying to get at her as she antagonized themAngry
I am horrified to think what might have happened if the window had broken!

2014 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>