Topic ClosedNew R-Pod Owner and Forum Member

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New R-Pod Owner and Forum Member
    Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 3:08pm
I have a CAMCO 30A Dogbone and a CAMCO Power Defender, Happy with both. I agree with the permanent mounts but on my 178 install was a bit difficult. I wanted fast protection.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Redshift View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 3:12pm
I had been looking at both of those CAMCOs and have read good things about them.  The hardwire version also sounds good but I am not sure what is required to do the install. 
-Robert

Hood River RP 180 with winter-ready insulation/heaters upgrade and GoPower solar kit
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 3:23pm
Think 180 is close to 179, as I recall the 179 install was easier than my 178. The 179/180 folks can tell you.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 6:00pm
Good choice.  As I sit here at the campground in our larger trailer its 25 degrees and has been below freezing since yesterday afternoon.  Forgot to empty the fresh water tank yesterday and of course if froze. The underbelly is enclosed and I spent a lot of time Sunday sealing holes in the Coroplast.  It may have helped slow the freeze.  If we had tank heaters that would have made a lot of difference.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 6:35pm
The tank heaters are an interesting idea. The problem I see with them is that one would need to be where power is available. I looked and saw some that were dual 12V and 120V. The problem there is that if one is towing, those pads would require a lot of wattage. As with the refrigerator, one would risk the tow vehicle not being able to supply sufficient wattage to both power them and charge the battery/batteries. If one is sitting at a campground hooked to shore power, then it should be no problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 8:31pm
Agreed.  The 12v ones pull a lot of power.  With 120v an amp or so.  Since we camp at campgrounds with the larger trailer the 120v make more sense for us.  Since our Rpod is not set up for cold weather then tank heaters are not needed.

As soon as the tank thaws I’ll drain it.  Then only fill it a little if we go again this season.  We use a heated hose and I put a canvas tarp over the water supply faucet in a tent shape so the “tent” will gather heat from the ground to keed the water filter from freezing.  I also wrap a towel around the 90 degree connector that’s attached to the water hose and then to the city water inlet.  We’ve never had that setup freeze.  The first year I didn’t wrap the towel and it froze overnight at that point but quickly thawed.

FWIW, when you get out there make sure your black and grey tank dump valves don’t leak a little.  If they do and your sewer hose cap is in place the water can build up after the valve and freeze between the valve and cap.

I get a lot of information from RV.Net but you have to filter through it because it seems as if one person could post, “the sun rises in the east” and there will be 100 posts arguing with it.
NAP1947 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 5:49am
Redshift, welcome and congratulations, as you can see lots of friendly folks with experience and willingness to help.  We bought a 179 last fall but don’t pick it up until April.  I strongly suggest your read the first article in the R-Pod Group Owners Manual found here, http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1723, it is very helpful and led me to buy the EMC built in unit and also learn how to use my multi-meter before plugging in, the R-Pod has a fibreglass not metal skin but one cannot be too careful with electricity.
Cheers and Happy New Year.
Susan and Norm
2016 Venza, V6 factory tow
2018 RP179
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:07pm
Congrats and welcome! I think you'll find this forum very helpful as I have. 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 5:26pm
+1 on the Progressive Industries EMSHW30C hardwired unit.  Easy to install.  I installed mine right behind my power center.  You only need is a 2ft section of romex wire to complete the hook-up.  And their customer service is excellent.  I had an issue and they were super helpful.  I also like the hardwired because to never have to worry about it walking away or leaving it behind.
Happy New Year!
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 6:07pm
I use the non-hard wired Progressive Industries SSP-30XL Surge Protector. No complaints. Yes you need to plug it in and secure it at the campsite, but it works well and no labor involved. $90 from Amazon. 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>