R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geewizard View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Questions
    Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:14am
My opinion is that a MPPT solar controller wrings out every bit of solar panel output far more efficiently than a PWM solar controller.  And so, it's even more critical to use one with smaller solar panels.  As is using the largest gauge wire between the solar panel and battery.  Every little bit helps when you're beginning with little bits anyway.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:10am
Originally posted by mle

Originally posted by geewizard

I completely bypassed the Zamp wiring and connector and used my own wiring to connect a Renogy 120 W solar panel (portable, not fixed) and Morningstar MPPT controller.  Anderson connectors with weatherproof boots connect the panel to the controller.  See my other posts on mods to see pics of my setup.

We just returned from a 3 day trip without running the generator at all.

I like that connector you did, looks really nice. Smile

Thanks.  I like the Anderson connectors and use them in all my 12V applications.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 12:37am
It may be but so is the Renogy 100w suitcase and for a lot less than the Zamp.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
TerryPil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 12:23am
Originally posted by john in idaho

Forest River changed from Zamp to Go Power for their "solar ready" hookup in 2017 production models.  If you have the ZAMP ready RPOD you can use a standard SAE plug but ZAMP reverses the polarity so if you hook up a non Zamp system it wont work unless you cut the wires and reverse them or buy a SAE converter.  I do not know what the polarity is for the Go Power plug and whether it is similar to ZAMP and reversed or not.  Will need to research that.  Then again you can bypass the prewired plug and just connect your solar system directly to the battery

Do you think the zamp is suitable for a complete beginner?
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:32pm
Forest River changed from Zamp to Go Power for their "solar ready" hookup in 2017 production models.  If you have the ZAMP ready RPOD you can use a standard SAE plug but ZAMP reverses the polarity so if you hook up a non Zamp system it wont work unless you cut the wires and reverse them or buy a SAE converter.  I do not know what the polarity is for the Go Power plug and whether it is similar to ZAMP and reversed or not.  Will need to research that.  Then again you can bypass the prewired plug and just connect your solar system directly to the battery
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:04pm
We use a Renogy 100watt suitcase system that works well.  It keeps our 2 6volt GC batteries fully charged .  We are careful with our power usage and boondock most of the time.  We have a 30' cord connected to the panel so it can be in the sun while the pod is in the shade.  the cord is the same gauge as the power cord so there is little voltage drop in the length. If possible, I will reorient the panel several times a day IF I am in camp.  If not, I align it as soon as we get up for current maximum and then I re-align it before we leave camp. I try to anticipate (from yesterday's observations and a compass) where to aim the panel to get maximum mid-day sun.

I have been happy with Renogy products and the service/advice they have offered.  My pod is older and was not pre-wired for solar.  From what I read and hear, the "pre-wired for solar" is essentially  a marketing ploy.  I'm sure it may save a little money and time, but I would probably do my own wiring even if I had a newer "pre-wired" pod.

controllers have a lot of variety.  different people have different ideas about which type to use.  In my case, having only 100 watts, the less expensive and less sophisticated controller works fine.  We use the 20 amp PWM controller and it seems to work fine and give me more information than I need/understand/want.

I am happy with my system and the installation.  There is a post several months back about my system and the installation.  I have changed a few things since the beginning, but it is basically the same.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
SDTrialer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:56pm
Our 2017 179 has a sticker that recommends Go Power 
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:21pm
[[/QUOTE]The r-pod has an inverter for all the stuff that needs AC, including all the convenience outlets. You should not need another one.[/QUOTE]

When did this start?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by geewizard

I completely bypassed the Zamp wiring and connector and used my own wiring to connect a Renogy 120 W solar panel (portable, not fixed) and Morningstar MPPT controller.  Anderson connectors with weatherproof boots connect the panel to the controller.  See my other posts on mods to see pics of my setup.

We just returned from a 3 day trip without running the generator at all.

I like that connector you did, looks really nice. Smile
mle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Capperdan

Am a newbie, wondering what solar system the mfgr. recommends, got a 2017 model 178 about to head out for our first 6-day trip. (First thread I've seen on the subject)

I believe the recommended is Zamp (I read for marketing purposes they write on the paperwork to only use Zamp panels). But quite honestly that's why I made this thread, because in looking at solar controllers and panels, the Zamp stuff is way overpriced for not as much power as other manufacturers that have better ratings. On the 2017s, they say it's "solar ready"; meaning (and I looked on the one we are buying) it has 4 wires and that's it. Two wires that come from the plug on the outside, and two that run to the front to the battery. It seems like a lot of podders run non-Zamp setups with great results. 

I was looking at the Renology panels and controller for our 2017. But I keep getting distracted by how nice the semi-flexible ones look. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>