R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInsecurity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insecurity
    Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:57pm
Think twice when locking valuables in your outside storage compartments. It seems that many RV manufacturers all use the same key, CH751, on their locks and have for many years. We discovered this when we were shopping for a Jayco and the salesman left a set of keys out for us to check out a unit. He mentioned the "751" key. Seems that Jayco  uses it on all of them. Imagine my surprise when I turned over my R-pod keys to the new owner and saw that it  too had a 751 key.  I know that 99.44% of my fellow campers are decent folk, but what's the point in having a lock that anyone can open?

Befuddled.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 8:31pm
I changed the locks. There is a company in California that was pretty good. On their website they have a template. You print it out. Take your current cam lock remove it and place the cam lock size over the template to measure size locking arm length and off set of the inside cam. Sounds complicated. I had no idea what I was doing and replaced both storage units and out side shower locks all with a new unique key. Google CH751 rv key replacement I think it was called industrial lock and hardware.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 6:34am
I REALLY appreciate these posts. I'll be changing my locks. By the way don't leave valuables in your tow vehicle unlocked either!
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 7:38am
I changed all of the storage compartment locks to match the door key.  One less key to worry about.  Easy mod to make.  Note that the company does not offer a replacement lock for the outside shower because it is so small/short.  The link to RV Locks and More is below:

Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 7:44am
The deadbolt lock on the door is the only secure lock. If that is not locked, the factory, dealers, and who knows who else, have master keys that will work the door lock. When I have left our trailer at the dealer for service, I was told not to bother leaving keys, but to not lock the deadbolt. Likewise when I just sent it off to the factory for repairs.

If you want security, a camping trailer is not the place to get it. I am not going to obsess about it. I am not changing locks, but did make battery lock-down brackets which I can padlock. Other than that, I don't leave very valuable items in the R-Pod if we are not there. I don't want to let worry about possible theft ruin my camping experience. I also use a lock on the hitch socket.

That being said, I have never had anyone poking into either the tent when we were doing tent camping or the R-Pod since we bought it. There seems to be a certain level of trust in campers that we don't mess with other people's things.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 7:47am
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:40am
Thought it was common knowledge.. many swap the outside door locks for combo locks etc. We liked the combo locks, because NO key to worry about.. LOL.. as far as security for valuables.. no door, including the dead bolted main door, takes more than 2 seconds to get into with a large screwdriver. So...
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 5:14pm
+2 to SH and Leo, not you're secured stuff you need to worry about, it's the sitting out stuff. Plus there's not a lot of MS 13 campers. Gangland hasn't made it to campgrounds, lately.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 12:32am
If you stress about thieves when your camping, you are camping in the wrong area or for the wrong reasons. I have left hunting camps full of valuables while taking an animal for a day, never worried about it. Maybe just make your camp look like you kill things and no one will mess with it?
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 5:57am
LOL I totally agree!!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171