Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSurge protectors - Event Date: 17 Apr 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Surge protectors
    Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 12:59am

Recently I purchased a 2017 R-pod model 179 and now I'm looking for a surge protector best suited for this size camper. I've seen recommendations on the forum ranging from $50 to several hundred dollars. How do I know what is best suited for the 179? 

For example, Surge Guard has a 30A model that automatically shuts off the power when ground faults are present and it offers 510 Joules of surge protection. It requires manual reset after a ground fault. A convenient handle makes unplugging from the power post easier and safer and it has a 10/3 AWG weather resistant cord. At $67 it looks like a good deal from Camping World. In contrast, the SSP30 by Progressive Industries is larger and sells for $110. Some more expensive models can even be locked to your power hookup. Can someone please provide some practical advise on what I need?

Sierra Jim
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 7:03am
Power at campgrounds is notoriously bad. Spikes occur but more often voltage is too high or too low. High voltage will damage electronics and the onboard converter. Low voltage will damage the A/C. Inexpensive "surge protectors" like the TRC 44750 offer little protection against spikes and no protection against high or low voltage. IMO the full power protectors like the TRC SurgeGuard 34830 are valuable and cheap insurance against costly equipment damage and/or dangerous pedestal miswiring and faults. The 34830 is on sale at Camping World now. Progressive Industries makes a similar unit.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=81277&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CP60jNH2rdMCFV25wAodRKoP2g
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 10:28am
I installed the progressive EMS-HW30. Thats one of the more popular models being used. It is hardwired into the camper, so you install it once, and forget about it. It will not allow you to hook up to bad, or miswired power supplies. It continues to protect you the entire time your plugged in, wether your gone out, sleeping, or sitting by the fire. It also protects you from a "hot skin" condition, which can kill someone that touches the trailer. For just over 200.00 dollars, is it worth this protection? I think the math is simple. Ofcourse if you plan to only boondock, and never ever plug into anything, you don't need it, but what are the odds you'll never plug in.  I would recommend the hardwired unit, as mentioned before, its a onetime thing. No remembering to get the portable plug, or, i left it on the work bench at home, or sombody stole mine.  There will be no fumbling in the darkness, trying to find it in the pass thru, the hard wire is just the best way for me. Ok, now you know.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 10:35am
We use a Camco 55301 with our 179. It takes a long time to start providing power after connecting it, but we've had no electrical issues thus far.
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 6:50pm
+1 on the Progressive Industries EMSHW30C 

And their customer service is excellent.  I had an issue and they were super helpful.  I also like the hardwired because to never have to worry about it walking away or leaving it behind.
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Whoababe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 7:35pm
+2 for Progressive Hardwired. 

Currently we are using a Progressive EMS-PT30C that is not hardwired, and I regret that I did not go with the HW version. Even though we lock ours to the post, I still worry about theft. Which obviously wouldn't be a concern with the HW model. Also, it is heavy and doesn't lock up well to all posts. I agree it would be so nice to install the thing once and forget about it! 

Ours cost about $275, which is expensive but we travel with our two dogs, and the more expensive model will turn your AC back on after a power surge. We try not to leave our dogs in the camper, but we anticipate there will be times when we venture off without them. 

Josh + Jen • Whoa Babe Mods Blog
→ 2015 Chevy Silverado
→ 2016 {new to us} 179
 Post Reply Post Reply