This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Pod should we buy!!?? - Event Date: 04 Sep 2017 - 06 Sep 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Which Pod should we buy!!??
    Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 7:17pm
Hi R-poders! We are anxious to join all of you R-poders but are weighing in our purchase this week of a 179 vs a 180.  Love the full bath of the 180 but not sure about that petite table area, not so much for dining as there are just the two of us, but on the occasions that we are inside instead sitting outside, could we really be comfortable watching an inning of baseball or reading a couple of chapters on those seats!  Is it worth giving up all that storage and space in the bath? What other pros and cons could you experienced campers share about the 179 or 180 to help us make this decision?
Peter and Ritamarie
2018 Rpod 180
Honda Pilot
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 7:27pm
Hello and welcome!

My wife and I decided on the 179. We looked at both and decided we liked the bigger kitchen with the cabinets for storage more than we liked the larger bath. We figured that for us, we were not ones to spend much time in the bathroom and if we need to use the wet shower, it isn't a big deal. If we are at a campground, we use the campground facilities most of the time anyway. The few times we used it while dry camping, we found that it didn't take long to empty our fresh water tank and fill our gray water tank.

We do like the 179's layout. The 179's kitchen cabinets are cavernous. We use wooden bins and baskets to store items so we can slide them in and out for access. We like the pantry beside the door. I added an extra shelf there.

A lot depends on your personal preferences though. I mentioned why we like the 179. Your decision should be based on which of the two feels right to you when you get a chance to see them and compare based on going inside and seeing them instead of viewing floor plans.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 7:30pm
Greetings,  Try going to your dealer and plan to spend at least a couple hours in both the 179 and 180.  Both  take notes on your likes, dislikes of each.  Sleep on it, discuss, arrive at a solution.  May take a couple/few weeks or longer to finalize.  For us, when we looked at what was available in January 2011 the choices were fewer but we did the above and arrived at purchasing the 177 which we still have today.  No regrets, has been a great camper now with over 25,000 miles under its belt.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
flagrv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 9:04pm
Thanks to both of you, much to the dismay (I'm sure ) of several dealers, we have spent time looking and spending time in both models!  We thought for sure the 180 was the ticket but then the reality of "how much time do we actually spend in the head??" settled in, really, we are camping!! no hair dryer or long term showers are important to us!!  We have lived for 30+ years in a fabulous rural area of Flagstaff, AZ, and look forward to spending more time exploring the Southwest and then who knows where!!!! We are former tent campers but the reality is, we are older now and would appreciate a bit more ease and comfort...... and donating our original Kirkhams tent to our children!  Thanks again, and any other hints or suggestions are so appreciated!  Hope we meet up with some R-pod owners soon.
Peter and Ritamarie
2018 Rpod 180
Honda Pilot
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 10:20pm
One other thing we like is the counter space in the 179. When both of us are working on a meal, it is nice that we have room to maneuver. That was another factor in our decision. That and "how much time to we actually spend in the head??" was the question we answered in favor of the 179. I hope you will make the choice that is right for you and with which you will be happy.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 11:01pm
If we didn't have kids I would have definitely gone with the 179. I just liked the dinnette bed better in the 178 for the kids. The 180 looks nice but really you should divide the percentage of time you would spend in each area and paste it on the floor plan. Then take a look at size vs percentage. Me, I'll probably just go in the woods like I always have so any kind of bathroom is more than enough for my wife and kids.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:27am
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:34am
Welcome.....and a tough choice to be sure!  For us it was the 179 with it's generous kitchen area and large seating area.  The wet bath can be challenging but like you say....how much time do you actually spend it it.  Haven't regretted going with the 179.  Good luck on your choice, and there is some good advice here on how to choose, but which ever it is have fun!

Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
bigjewpapa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:53pm
i am trying to figure out the same thing lol.

my fiance does not like the toilet in the shower floor plan at all though.

i really don't mind either way, and always like having more room for people.

my guess is the fiance wins lol
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 12:54pm
There was a discussion a few months back on this topic. Many people weighed in on the fact they do not like public toilets and showers.  One person mentioned he looks up the time the showers are cleaned and goes right after they are cleaned.  We did not even consider an RPOD until the 180 model came out and then it was a no brainer,  We are not campers but are buying an RV to see the country as retirees and not having to pack and unpack and find good hotel rooms.  So we wanted all the conveniences of home.  The kitchen is the least important area to us as we will rarely be "preparing" meals and dinners will mostly be outdoor grilling and restaurants.  The only negative is no walk around bed and we will have to climb over one another for those middle of the night bathroom trips (happens alot at our age)
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>