R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

R-pod insulation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-pod insulation
    Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:07am
Does anybody know if R-pods are insulated? Can be used in winter weather? thanks
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:48am
The R-Pods are insulated. The side walls and floor are block foam insulation fitted into the aluminum frame and the ceiling is batting glued in place (From the video I saw, it could be fiberglass or rock wool. I couldn't tell which one). Forest River's site states the side walls are R7 and the floor and ceiling are R9.

We were using our R-Pod this past winter. We stayed in it (dry camping) when the weather was down into the low single-digits with significant wind chills. It used quite a bit of propane, but we did stay warm. What is not insulated are the fresh, gray, and black water tanks with some of the plumbing. Unless you use electrical heating blankets for your tanks, they will freeze up in other than overnight freezing temperatures. We carried an 8 gallon water jug for drinking water and for cooking needs and used disposable utensils and plates for the trip so we would not have to wash dishes. We got some Certainty Adult Washcloths, Walgreens item 501201 to wash up with since with no water onboard, showers were not an option.

The year before, we also made a trip during the winter, but stayed far enough south so that we did travel with water. We encountered overnight freezing temperatures, but daytime temperatures were above freezing so we did not have any problems. The key is to consider the conditions in which you expect to use it and plan accordingly on whether you have to dry camp or whether you can take water in the tank.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:50pm
Stephen, thanks for sharing that info. I notice you're in NC. What part? Since you seem to be knowledgeable and handy about R-pods, I have some other concerns maybe you can help me with, as I am contemplating a purchase.
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:17pm
One correction StephenH, the flat part of the ceiling has aluminum framing and than it is doubled up with another layer of wood framing. In other words the flat part has a double ceiling.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:05pm
If your asking if the R-Pod is a true 4-season camper, the answer would be no. There really are very few true four season campers.

That said, base camp facilities on Mt. Everest don't have the creature comforts afforded in a R-Pod.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by marwayne

One correction StephenH, the flat part of the ceiling has aluminum framing and than it is doubled up with another layer of wood framing. In other words the flat part has a double ceiling.

Thank you. I did not know that. It does not really show on the construction videos.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 6:16pm
moving thread
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:10pm
Greetings richardd.  We have done limited camping in cold weather from mid 30's at RMNP in Colorado to mid-teens in Michigan.  We were fortunate when in CO that temps always stayed above freezing so no frozen water lines.  When in Michigan we carried our water in 5 gallon containers as we knew using the water system was not an option under those conditions.  Yes, like StephenH we stayed warm but you do run through a fair amount of propane to reach those results.  Even under those mid-teen conditions we found it necessary to crack a couple windows open a smidge to keep the condensation issue under control. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:25pm
No matter which way you look at it, the R-Pod is better than a tent for cold-weather camping. In my 26 years in the U.S. Army, I have spent a number of nights under canvas in freezing temperatures.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:56pm
Indeed, Stephen.  When my son got back from Afghanistan he told me "no more camping for me, I've had enough of that in the Army."  That was 8 years ago.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>