R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMod Project 3 - Heater Cutout Switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mod Project 3 - Heater Cutout Switch
    Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 12:47pm

I did this in my last camper and loved it.  Here, on the 179, I installed a small rocker switch just below where my pillow is.  It’s wired to break the connection from the thermostat to the heater.  When the rocker is open, the heat won’t come on. 

Since we generally dry camp, I don’t like to have the heater draw down the batteries at night, and I really don’t like hearing the heater run.  But it is nice to get up in a warm camper.  

So, I set the thermostat for the heater at 65 before bed and I get to slip into the sheets with warm air.  Then I move the rocker switch to the off/open position, and the heater goes through its cool down cycle and shuts off.  In the morning I just lean over and hit the switch, and the heater comes back on.  In 5 minutes it’s warm enough to get up and make coffee.  I know, it’s a lazy thing.

Of course all bets are off if mother nature has an urgent calling.

Ok, now the weather is getting better and may need to stop playing with Pod Mods for a bit.

Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

https://www.instagram.com/erttergary/
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 2:16pm
I like the idea, but I would need to figure out how to route the wire so I could place the switch on the other side of the R-Pod. We sleep with our heads toward the other end. It blocks some of the excess light and noise that way. Also, it is easier to cross over my wife's feet at the foot end rather than across her middle like when we had our heads toward the slide-out side.

What wire did you use for this modification? I wouldn't want to cut the wrong one.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
McCall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 2:34pm
It should be easy to route over to that side, take out a couple drawers for access to the back of the wall and install the switch.  The thermostat wire on my Pod is a small 2 wire - Red, White and covered with Brown.  I cut the red.  You for sure don't want to cut the 12v power directly, as that would defeat the cool down cycle.  The gray wire in the photo goes to the rocker switch.

Turn on the heat, cut the red, and the heater should cycle off in a minute or two.  If not, you cut the wrong wire.  Smile

Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 2:48pm

Clever mod! This is the first time that I have seen something like this.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 4:22pm
Thank you. I have been turning down the thermostat at night to 60F and then in the morning, I get up before my wife and turn the thermostat up. If it is really cold, we have one of the Mr. Buddy portable heaters which works to heat things up quickly.

I tried the Little Buddy and do not recommend it. It is top-heavy and the newer cylinders with the plastic base do not work well enough to hold it stable. It will tip over. After it happened several times, I returned the Little Buddy and purchased the Portable Buddy. The larger base is much more stable. The little Buddy put out enough heat. The design of the base is (in my opinion) flawed since it did not hold the unit steady but allowed it to fall over too easily. The Portable Buddy has two heat settings. It seems to work better at full-throttle, but that is more than what is needed. The instructions say not to run it at in-between settings although I don't see why that won't work just as well as having it at the low and high settings. If it burns cleanly at those settings, it should be able to work well at the intermediate settings also. Regardless, adequate ventilation when using one of these is essential.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
McCall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 7:16pm
The sweet thing with this is that if you wake up at 2:00 am and it's a bit too cold, just hit the switch.  Heaters on, and you never got out of bed.

Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:51am
Nice addition.  Only way to get lazier would be to add a remote control, maybe.  Big smile

We have the large Mr. Buddy.  LOVE that thing.  We use it in our family room to supplement our wood stove which is on the other side of the house.  I used to burn the wood stove full-blast for hours before we would be comfortable but now I just get the rest of the house comfortable (using a much lower burn rate).  I do use a 20 pound tank with an adapter but I put the tank outside at night for safety.  I think the problem with running it between the settings is each setting opens a valve with a specific LP flow, so going between each setting doesn't give you an equivalent in-between amount of heat and may not burn efficiently (potentially producing excessive carbon dioxide).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply