R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOn board battery monitor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Steve 911 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: On board battery monitor
    Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 9:47pm
Thanks for your comments.  I have a 179, and if I have a 12 volt receptacle somewhere, I haven't found it. Having one would make things a lot easier..
I guess I will have to add one..
Firefighter Steve (retired)
2017.5 Rpod 179 (Reepod)
2016 Highlander AWD w/tow pkg.
E2 wdh, prodigy RF brake controller.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 9:31pm
If you take the voltage measurement at the battery and the voltmeter measures 12.80 volts, then check a 12VDC power jack like the one in the overhead cabinet over the bed ( on an R-Pod 177 for example), and it measures 12.80 volts, then rest assured there's nothing wrong with taking an accurate measurement that way. This is an easy test to determine if there are any losses from wiring, my Pod had none. Voltage is the same through the camper. Likely due to being such a short run of wires from the batteries.

it's true that after fully charging a battery if will have a false high float on it, and does not represent it's "resting" capacity.  Wait a few hours after charging for true readings, however this can be difficult unless you are at home and a trip is not imminent.

I also own an OTC 3181  130 amp load tester. It is for 12 volt automotive batteries.  A simple heater wire device with a meter and a trigger, and two battery clamps, positive and negative. Connect to a fully charged battery and pull the trigger for 10 seconds, the  meter should remain in the good zone. It it falls into the "not good" zone then the battery is not able to take a full charge, and is either sulfated because of loss of electrolyte over time, or it's just worn out and tired. I do this test each spring before the first trip, as long as the batteries check good, I recharge them after the test to top off before installing them in the R-Pod. Check fluid level several times a year, and top of with distilled water as necessary. 
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 6:37pm
The most accurate measurement is made right at the battery terminals. The further away from the battery the less accurate depending on the wire size and length and the current being drawn at the point the tap is made. The length of wire from the tap point to the voltmeter is not important. That says it is best to go all the way to the battery, not any circuit from the power panel and not even the battery connections at the back of the power panel. That said the question becomes how accurate is good enough. Tapping into a lighting or other circuit is OK IF nothing on that circuit is drawing any current. That means lights/fans/radio/booster/ etc. are off. Nothing other than a voltmeter plugged into the USB or cigarette lighter sockets. It's also necessary to have the battery at "rest" for several hours before making the measurement. Rest means nothing drawing current except for the residual from the propane/CO monitor. With all that said you can get a general idea of battery condition by watching the VM connected to a branch circuit over time, but the final word on battery state of charge will have to be made at the battery after a period of rest. A reasonable compromise can be had by connecting the VM to an unused fuse on the power panel with nothing else on that circuit. Nobody said this was easy, but anything is better than the 4 LED idiot panel supplied OEM. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:42pm
That is a great idea to include a push button  switch. I purchased one of the amazon 3 hole units and I have hesitated to install it as I was not sure the effect of having the power always on to the display unit.

Thanks!
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:37pm
 A plug in style shown above would only consume during use. My panel mount is meant to be hardwired, but of course I was wise enough to put a momentary push button switch inline with the meter leads so it only uses power when I keep my finger on the button for a few seconds. And voltmeters use almost NO electricity to take  measurement so no big worries about it hurting battery capacity. Their energy use is measured in milliamps.

The one I purchased in June 2014 from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UWD2J4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I made plastic panel from some nylon, and mounted the voltmeter in it, wired to the tank/battery monitor power. I had to make a small hole in the wall and screw it there, but it looks OK to me.

I actually like the idea of a 12VDC accessory socket meter, I would have just bought that instead if I had found it.
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:28pm
Does anyone know if these units that display battery voltage and are always on consume enough battery power to be a concern?
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:19pm
How important is it to have a direct 12v connection to my panel?  For example, I've installed three 12v USB/cigarette units, but have tied in off of two lights and the stereo.  Will I get an accurate reading off my existing ports units?

I've contemplated running a line off the panel to one digital voltmeter in the cabinet (179), but I don't need to create more work if I can get similar results with option pictured above.
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by texman

from amazon for $14.  i have  direct wired 12v adapter.

INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor

That's nice and simple!! I actually made a small panel mount and push button to engage it, tied into the  tank monitor supply voltage. I printed out a chart of voltages vs % of charge from online somewhere and hang it over the monitor. Push button, read voltage, know where my battery state of charge is.
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 2:56pm

from amazon for $14.  i have  direct wired 12v adapter.

INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 2:52pm
Here is the one I installed. It's a very accurate volt meter

Volt meter and TV sound bar
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177