R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSurge protector installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surge protector installation
    Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 10:02am
Donald from Progressive Industries and I have been going back and forth with a few tests to try and determine the 888 issue.  He said that the 888 error code could mean a bad capacitor.  They are sending me out a new unit. Since were headed out on the 17th for spring break, that was the best solution.  I'll have to go through the work of uninstall and reinstall, but now that all the heavy lifting is done, it should be easy.  I'll send back the old one that they'll refurbish.  

I was most impressed with there willingness to get us up and running before we leave town on the 17th. Donald and Progressive Industries customer service get an A in my book.

Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 9:36am
I called Progressive Industries this morning.  They said they think it's because the outlet (120/15A) I'm plugged has other items running off it and therefore is not providing enough power to the coach/unit and the to operate correctly.  

The outlet I'm plugged into runs off my garage which has a large electric heater, other mechanical, and I maybe is connected to the laundry room, so maybe washer or dryer.  

They gave me a couple drills to run to see if it's not another problem.  Been meaning to call my buddy/electrician to put in a 30 amp plug.  Panel is just on the other side of the wall, so should be easy.    

Wanted to let the group know.
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 10:43pm
So more info from my first post. 

The unit will scroll through volts, amps and barley gets to 60 Hz before starts flashing the 888.  When I unplug from the wall, the unit starts, scrolls though v,a,h, and e-code, then after the time delay kicks on the power the it goes to the 888 just after 60 h shows up.  Always at the hertz.  Same happens if I switch on bypass, it'll go through v,a,h and then 888.

Have an email into PI.

Thanks
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Ira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:44pm
That is the way I was plugged in also, and it worked. So, that should not be the cause.
Ira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:43pm
This is just a wild guess. However, I know it is important that the black object (current sensor) that the hot wire goes through must have the arrow pointed toward the middle of the surge protector. Is that the way you have it? Interesting error code of 888, as that is not in their error code list. Good luck. Someone on here will have the answer.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:37pm
I should also say that I'm plugged into a regular 120 outlet with an adapter to my 30 amp line.  If that makes a difference.
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:33pm
I just installed by Progressive Industries EMS HW30C.  Everything went as planned.  Turned on the power and display scrolled through the readings  showing no errors and the power came on.  Then the display started flashing 888.  Turned on the bypass and then off.  Just flashed 888.  Unplugged from the wall and tried again.  SP fires up and scrolls through the readings, no errors, then after about 15 sec the display flashes 888. 

I should say that the power in the pod is on and everything seems to work.  Any ideas.  Sent PI an email as well.   Should I keep it plugged in?

Thanks  
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:23pm
thanks fur. i figured you would know, and i knew you would clear it up. it didnt make sense my protector would blow up if i plugged in.  thanks again
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Another question has come up. Can anyone verify this? people are saying they use a tester, to check the box, before they plug in the surge protector. Do we really need to do that?? they are saying they check it first, cause they dont want the surge protector to get fried. I'm thinking, get fried? why would it get fried, isnt it supposed to cut the power and make sure nothing gets fried, including itself?? I hate to think i have a couple hundred dollar unit that will burn out if i plug it into a bad outlet.  sheeeeesh 

Yes, that is what some surge protectors do, some very expensive ones are actually "line conditioners" that can "fix" some problems.. The one you are looking at tests first, doing the same thing a tester does..
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:35pm
mjlrpod,

I have a tester, it's just that, it tests the circuit very quickly prior to plugging in. To me it just tells me to not plug in, agree the surge protector, depending upon capabilities would determine same and probably disconnect TT. I have the tester, just because I had it. BLUF is if the tester tells me connection is bad, I don't plug in. I can't testify you need both.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>